Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
My Reasons to appeal/rework the Gas mask nerf
Recently, as in just today, there was a change added that lowered the cold protection of the gas mask and all reskins of it to the point where it no longer provides 100% cold resist when paired with any vacuum suit.

Firstly, it restricts a lot of what you can wear in terms of cosmetics and still be able to quickly suit up for depressurized environments. As the head slot now *has* to be used up by a helmet, people can't express themselves with hats and also not die in space. Even further still, now hair must be covered in order not to freeze, which further reduces expression. When the station is decompressed, everyone looks the same.

Second, it reduces the robust ceiling of gameplay. Traitors can no longer wear protective helmets and still remain comfortable as they vent the halls, and security have to carry an extra item if they want to chase someone into space. Less people will be able to survive on the station, since there will be no alternatives to a helmet should they all be taken, or acid spit used against them. By forcing players to use up a mask and hat slot for space, options decrease in what they can do.

Lastly, if not to be an alternative to wearing an unexpressive and poorly-protective spacesuit helmet, what is the point of having gas masks in the game? They barely filter out toxins from tiles, are harder to come by than breath masks, and fill the role of hiding one's face, as a plethora of space helmets already do that.

If the change is absolute, which would make me seriously rethink playing on goon, I think there should be *some* common alternative to only having space helmets to complete a set, whether it be a special mask you can wear, or any other type of item.
All this change did was prevent gas masks from working as a space helmet, which only effects what you wear on space tiles. Nothing else. They still provide the same amount of cold protection they did before. If this is this kind of balancing thing that actually makes you reconsider playing on a codebase than I don't know what to tell you, that's frankly absurd.
(05-07-2021, 05:37 PM)virvatuli Wrote: All this change did was prevent gas masks from working as a space helmet, which only effects what you wear on space tiles. Nothing else. They still provide the same amount of cold protection they did before. If this is this kind of balancing thing that actually makes you reconsider playing on a codebase than I don't know what to tell you, that's frankly absurd.

I just double checked and it's absolutely gone down- you used to be able to stay on catwalk tiles indefinitely without loosing body temp

Even if I'm confidently wrong and misunderstanding space mechanics on a fundamental level, my points still stand, although their application has been reduced to just EVA, which still limits one's options.
Being completely space proof negates all possible temperature changes from cold.
(05-07-2021, 05:46 PM)NightmarechaMillian Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 05:37 PM)virvatuli Wrote: All this change did was prevent gas masks from working as a space helmet, which only effects what you wear on space tiles. Nothing else. They still provide the same amount of cold protection they did before. If this is this kind of balancing thing that actually makes you reconsider playing on a codebase than I don't know what to tell you, that's frankly absurd.

I just double checked and it's absolutely gone down- you used to be able to stay on catwalk tiles indefinitely without loosing body temp

Even if I'm confidently wrong and misunderstanding space mechanics on a fundamental level, my points still stand, although their application has been reduced to just EVA, which still limits one's options.

Space burns you because it's cold. If you aren't space proof (i.e. susceptible to any temperature changes) then yes, you will eventually get cold. Try working around that with the plethora of options we have available to you to warm yourself up, from coffee to drugs to a myriad of other things. Gas masks making you invulnerable to cold temperature is nonsensical and bypasses all of these other features that exist to specifically help you not be cold.

This change isn't being reverted, and if that's a dealbreaker for you, so be it.

edit: additionally, if you think I'm trying to hide how this was implemented, you can see the exact code change right here, the only thing that was changed was that masks were made not spacewear, no other stat changes aside from that.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...e1176ab9a3
I can't tell if this is a shit post or not...

I see shit about Fashion but then also about being equipped for a depressurized station and I'm just confused here.
Yeah you get cold on catwalks with just a mask and no suit but you arent getting damaged from it as far as I know. Thats coming from me someone that LOVES to hang out on catwalks just wearing a tshirt and an airmask. Unless something changed to how Cold works then it shouldnt be hurting you. Just slowing you down. In that case you can wear whatever you want in space as long as you ARENT ON A SPACE TILE.
Remember the days when a vented station truly affected walkspeed?

Like - in comparison to that the complaint about an ordinary gasmask sitting merely on THE FRONT of your face and strapped around the back of your head; protecting you from the depths of infinite space,...
Absurd.

Truly a lovely change.
Destroying parts of the station as an antag might actually lead to QM now ordering spare spacesuits and EVA equipment for the crew.

Great!