Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[MERGED PR] Adds Captains Space Helmet, Makes the Captain's Hat and Gas Mask No Lo...
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE] [INPUT WANTED]

About the PR

Adds in the captain's space helmet, meant to match up with the captain's space suit. It spawns in the captain's locker. (to make it more -Exclusive- to the cap) It also comes in blue with the medal reward and has a red version for admins to spawn, just like all the other cap stuff.

This PR also makes the captain's hat and regular gas masks no longer count as spacewear, so you no longer get 100% space immunity from wearing one of those + a spacesuit of some sort.

[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: unknown.png]

Why's this needed?

It always bugged me that the captain's spacesuit didn't have a helmet to go with it, I think the full suit look is Cool and Good, and having a full set really completes the suit. Literally I guess.

As for the hat and mask, if you look closely at either of them you'll notice that they don't protect your head from the frosty void of space much at all! Aside from not *looking* like spacewear, they also didn't communicate that they were spacewear well at all: the gas mask description says it'd only give you 7% cold immunity (I think that's a pretty fair number) but if you paired it with a suit, it'd count it as a full set and jump that number up to 100% instantly. Very strange behavior for items not indicated to be spacewear that also don't visibly seal your head in and insulate you at all.

Also they're both fairly fashionable pieces of apparel, and the mask in particular lets you maintain a lot of your aesthetic by letting you wear some fancy hat item. I think this is actually very silly; spacesuits being hazardous gear and looking big and clunky is part of their whole aesthetic, and I feel like if the knowledge was more widespread, people wouldn't tend to wear space helmets at all as they're less fashionable and less optimal than gas masks or the cap hat. Plus to reiterate, them being spaceproof is aesthetically inconsistent imo and that's not as good as having it make sense in this case imo. Functionality doesn't match what the thing is in this case, this fixes that.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Flaborized
(*)Added the captain's space helmet to their locker. Captain's hats and gas masks no longer count as space helmets.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
CROSS POSTED FROM PR COMMENT

Extremely firm disagreement here.

Gas masks being spaceworthy is, in my experience, already common knowledge.

Space helmets already have a pretty big advantage over most other headgear (relatively high protection + they function as a welding mask for everything except flashes)

I cannot, in good conscience, accept the precedent this PR sets. The massive hit to self-expression is not worth the minor gains to visual consistency.

Hats are a core component of spaceperson customization and this change severely hampers our freedom to wear our preferred headgear in space.
As I responded to in the github comments already, I don't actually think this is a very significant hit to player expression, and I *do* think the (actually minor) hit to self-expression is totally worth the gains to visual consistency, and *game balance*. Requiring players to wear a space suit when they're exposed to a vacuum to me just Makes Sense, and I think objects visually projecting their use-case and purpose isn't minor at all, it's imo very valuable to have a game that's visually coherent. I think we expect players to be able to easily notice things like 'oh so-and-so isn't wearing a spacesuit in space' and having items that don't make any sense to be space gear ruins that entire system and generally degrades the trust a given player has in our game's ability to communicate things visually. 

Like I've said, not being particularly visually unique is *the entire aesthetic* of space suits, and you don't have to wear a spacesuit all the time, the situations where you do are almost entirely player-created, and the shift from a crew wearing interesting 'regular clothes' to uniform space suits is interesting and contributes to the tone of a vented space station. You don't get the same amount of expression in specific situations, sure, but it's worth it overall imho.

I also massively disagree that 'having freedom to wear clothing items you want and not be punished for picking style over function' is a core tenant of our game at all. If anything it's been the opposite; see why we haven't made regular clown and mime masks into internals. If your hats and hair showing is valuable enough for you to not want to put on a space suit in a vented space station, you should have to play around that.
I did not know that gas masks were space proof until this PR came up. There is no indication that gas masks are space proof either. Saying that it is common knowledge is entirely incorrect.
On one hand I do agree you should be wearing a space helmet if you are going into space but on the other hand the captains hat being space proof is always funny to me and Ill miss that if its changed.
You should just be able to wear hats on top of helmets by combining them
(05-06-2021, 03:52 PM)Flaborized Wrote: As I responded to in the github comments already, I don't actually think this is a very significant hit to player expression, and I *do* think the (actually minor) hit to self-expression is totally worth the gains to visual consistency, and *game balance*. Requiring players to wear a space suit when they're exposed to a vacuum to me just Makes Sense, and I think objects visually projecting their use-case and purpose isn't minor at all, it's imo very valuable to have a game that's visually coherent. I think we expect players to be able to easily notice things like 'oh so-and-so isn't wearing a spacesuit in space' and having items that don't make any sense to be space gear ruins that entire system and generally degrades the trust a given player has in our game's ability to communicate things visually.
EDIT: I, personally, find the hit to player expression to be MASSIVE because I like to spend lots of time in space! I like to play miner, I like to tap on the glass outside genetics, and I like to peak into the bar on cogmap. The fact that gas masks are spacewear is a GODSEND to me because it means I can remain easily identifiable and not get mistaken for a certain other camryn with a far more menacing reputation.

I think the gas masks are pretty intuitive when it comes to being "space proof".

They're already capable of protecting you from aerosolized chemical weapons and, when hooked into an oxygen tank, are impervious to even extremely high pressure and temperature plasma.

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to protect your mucus membranes and airways from a mere single atmosphere of vacuum.

(05-06-2021, 03:52 PM)Flaborized Wrote: Like I've said, not being particularly visually unique is *the entire aesthetic* of space suits, and you don't have to wear a spacesuit all the time, the situations where you do are almost entirely player-created, and the shift from a crew wearing interesting 'regular clothes' to uniform space suits is interesting and contributes to the tone of a vented space station. You don't get the same amount of expression in specific situations, sure, but it's worth it overall imho.

Quite frankly, I think you're putting way more stock into the "tone" of a depressurized space station than is warranted.

MAYBE on the RP server, you might have a point, but uh....

On main, we're all too busy complaining about the hole in the station, the accompanying slowdown, and whoever made it to give much of a shit about the aesthetics involved.

(05-06-2021, 03:52 PM)Flaborized Wrote: I also massively disagree that 'having freedom to wear clothing items you want and not be punished for picking style over function' is a core tenant of our game at all. If anything it's been the opposite; see why we haven't made regular clown and mime masks into internals. If your hats and hair showing is valuable enough for you to not want to put on a space suit in a vented space station, you should have to play around that.

I did not say this. Please do not put words in my mouth.

You *are* making a sacrifice by wearing a hat and a gas mask instead of a space helmet and a breath mask: the stats of the hat versus the stats of the helmet.

It's already accounted for.

I don't want to have to wear a space helmet the whole damn time I'm building a bar in escape just so I don't freeze to death.

EDIT 2: I'd also like to point out that the issues with spacewear not being effectively communicated to players could be easily fixed by just having the SPACEWEAR tag appear on an item's tooltip.

This is a hill that I AM willing to die on.
It's absurd that gas masks can make you space-proof this way, and makes zero sense logically and feels more like an unintended thing than anything else. I'm surprised it's existed this way for so long as it has. This didn't need a thread, it's a bug/exploit fix more than anything else.
(05-06-2021, 05:06 PM)virvatuli Wrote: It's absurd that gas masked can make you space-proof this way, and makes zero sense logically and feels more like an unintended thing than anything else. I'm surprised it's existed this way for so long as it has. This didn't need a thread, it's a bug/exploit fix more than anything else.

If you're talking about being able to combine a gas mask and a helmet to space walk, yes, that is a bug.

It's easily fixable by merging the head and mask checks here:

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...n.dm#L2629

Gas masks being considered spacewear, however, is absolutely not a bug and has been an intentional feature since.... I wanna say 2013? I could be wrong on the date, but it's been around for a *long* fucking time.
Just because something has been around for a long time doesn't make it good. Gas masks aren't spacewear, and it's weird that they are recognized as such. Their sprites specifically indicate that they are not as they do not cover the spaceman's whole head, and wearing them in lieu of a helmet is nonsensical. I still see this as a bug/exploit fix.
View as a player: I didn't know they were spacewear either. Definitely unintuitive.
(05-06-2021, 05:23 PM)virvatuli Wrote: Just because something has been around for a long time doesn't make it good. Gas masks aren't spacewear, and it's weird that they are recognized as such. Their sprites specifically indicate that they are not as they do not cover the spaceman's whole head, and wearing them in lieu of a helmet is nonsensical. I still see this as a bug/exploit fix.

I've already thoroughly elaborated why I think it's good, it's not "just" because it's been around for a long time.

Hell, I'll make a new sprite if need be.

The original sprite was never updated after the change was made (too much effort at the time), but the change to be spacewear was 100% intentional.

I don't think you can call an intentional feature a bug.
(05-06-2021, 03:34 PM)Camryn Wrote: CROSS POSTED FROM PR COMMENT

Space helmets already have a pretty big advantage over most other headgear (relatively high protection + they function as a welding mask for everything except flashes)

I cannot, in good conscience, accept the precedent this PR sets. The massive hit to self-expression is not worth the minor gains to visual consistency.

Hats are a core component of spaceperson customization and this change severely hampers our freedom to wear our preferred headgear in space.

Wait what? they can act as a welding mask?
also Dim is right, thats not common knowledge and if that feature is being kept it should probably be communicated better
(05-06-2021, 05:32 PM)Rilor Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:34 PM)Camryn Wrote: CROSS POSTED FROM PR COMMENT

Wait what? they can act as a welding mask?
also Dim is right, thats not common knowledge and if that feature is being kept it should probably be communicated better
Yeah, they shield your eyes from welder glare
Is it engineering/mining helmets that protect from glare or is it all space helmets that do that?