Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Adds a GPS PDA program and adds it to the default PDA programs
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[QoL][feature][input wanted]

About the PR
Adds a Space GPS program to the list of PDA programs and adds it to the list of default programs on all PDA's. The program can only get the user's coordinates and uses the same landmark notation as the separate GPS device. It does not interact with packets, navigate to locations, track other devices, or allow others to track the user.

Why's this needed?
After the removal of the port-a-sci PDA app summon feature, getting unexpectedly lost in the trench, asteroid belt, debris field, or far from the station is difficult to recover from. Being able to relay a user's own coordinates would enable fun rescue missions without having to comb the entire z-level. The limited feature set is intentional to keep the physical GPS useful and prevent packet nerds from tracking everyone on station.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)112358sam
(*)Added a Space GPS program to the default list set of PDA programs.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
this would be generally super useful, i like it
I like this idea; would be an easier catch-all than trying to delegate out public-access spots on every map where to put GPSes for people use.
Hey! This is my PR and I just want to clarify a few things. First, this app was not my idea, but Mrprogamer96's in the "Ideas for a Post portasci file world" thread. Next, I only gave it the basic coordinate finding function to avoid impacting balance in a major way. I'm happy to add other features if the consensus moves that way. I was hesitant to add packet functionality because if packet coordinate grabbing is on by default, one can make a mechcomp setup to grab everyone and teleport them to the crusher or do other powerful things. Again, I am happy to add packet integration if the consensus moves that way.
Thank you and to Mrprogamer96 for the work on this idea then!

I think it's darn good as is. I don't have an interest in seeing packet functionality added to this.
i don't think it would necessarily be "good" for packet integration to be added but also it would kind of make sense on like, a functional/realism(?) level for all pdas to have gps packets built in - after all, basically all phones these days have location services functionality built in and pdas are kind of equivalent to a really shitty smartphone
(05-06-2021, 08:52 PM)Splints Wrote: Hey! This is my PR and I just want to clarify a few things. First, this app was not my idea, but Mrprogamer96's in the "Ideas for a Post portasci file world" thread. Next, I only gave it the basic coordinate finding function to avoid impacting balance in a major way. I'm happy to add other features if the consensus moves that way. I was hesitant to add packet functionality because if packet coordinate grabbing is on by default, one can make a mechcomp setup to grab everyone and teleport them to the crusher or do other powerful things. Again, I am happy to add packet integration if the consensus moves that way.
thank you for putting my idea into the game it self