Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
remove beeswax from the cloning pod materials requirements
i think beeswax should be removed from the cloning pod requirements (maybe to be replaced with a different material, idk)

several reasons:
1. i don't think it really makes death in-game matter more, it just makes the one extant cloning pod super valuable
2. i don't think most players are even aware of how to get beeswax, and you rarely see anyone actually producing honey(at least on classic?), so replacing a cloning pod generally requires ordering a honey production kit and taking the time to produce honey, time most players won't actually invest in something that helps potential future dead people.
3. losing a cloner already loses all records in that cloner, and records aren't shared between cloners. Making a new cloner still leaves a good chunk of people perma-dead while possibly letting potential future dead people be revived, so death still matters
4. the syndicate item "mindslave cloning module" - actually using this item requires producing/acquiring beeswax to make a full cloning setup, which can be easily destroyed if people find it. That's multiple departments to raid just to make one traitor item work(mechanics, QM/botany), and the people who can get this item don't have access to any of them - no other traitor item requires that level of setup to work. Most people will just eat the 4 tc cost difference and take the full kit, or more likely, choose a different item. This item(and the kit) are already rarely used, and making cloners easier to produce on one's own would let this kit shine a little more.  The kit would still be a good deal even if cloners were slightly easier to produce, as the production on the 7tc cloning module would still require acquiring the materials and getting the schematics from the ruck kit.

dunno what other people think on this
Okay, hold the fuck up here.

Since when was Beeswax needed to make a cloning pod? Can you not just scan a pod and set it up like that?

Is there an update I'm missing?
i'm not sure when it was added, but yes, cloning pods require you to put beeswax in the fabricator to produce them

one additional note - you can attach multiple cloning pods to the same cloner to clone multiple people at once(up to 3 total), but i've never seen that actually happen in the past 2 months. i've seen someone construct an additional cloner setup a handful of times, but it's very, very uncommon (from what i've seen/noticed)
Actually, it used to be uquill and beeswax but the uqill part got axed eventually.

In regards to finding out how you make beeswax, you can just ask in MentorHelp. Im pretty sure each time some one asked that question there it'd already been answered.
(05-05-2021, 12:25 AM)Carbadox Wrote: Actually, it used to be uquill and beeswax but the uqill part got axed eventually.

In regards to finding out how you make beeswax, you can just ask in MentorHelp. Im pretty sure each time some one asked that question there it'd already been answered.
it's more that i think the process of getting honey to make beeswax is a bit much and results in new cloning pods being built rarely, if ever(at least from what i've seen on classic) - if someone is trying to make a new cloning setup they're more likely to just order a kit from QM which is considerably less interesting imo than  them building it themselves.
i had no idea beeswax was required in the making of a cloner and it sounds incredibly laborious to acquire. i don't see why it can't be axed

edit:

i get that it's supposed to somehow enforce interdepartmental cooperation but this just seems arbitrary
Yes, I think it should be changed to something more difficult to get than beeswax, changed to something you get trough mining. Also, the way to acquire it is putting honey in a reclaimer you get 1 per honey, I think, and considering you can chem smoke honey to get very high amounts of it I think it is fine, it is one of those things that only take 1 person trying and if no one is trying it doesn't happen.
It's odd that it's such a pain in the ass to print a new cloning tube but you can easily buy one (or many) from cargo. It's like, what, 80k or so? Maybe less? You can make that kind of cash pretty quick. The beeswax thing seems pointless when you can be slightly inconvenienced to just buy it and install it. This is what we did before when mechlab didn't bother scanning things.
(05-04-2021, 11:07 PM)coolvape Wrote: i'm not sure when it was added, but yes, cloning pods require you to put beeswax in the fabricator to produce  them

one additional note - you can attach multiple cloning pods to the same cloner to clone multiple people at once(up to 3 total), but i've never seen that actually happen in the past 2 months. i've seen someone construct an additional cloner setup a handful of times, but it's very, very uncommon (from what i've seen/noticed)

I have seen it less than an hour ago.

(05-05-2021, 06:44 AM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: It's odd that it's such a pain in the ass to print a new cloning tube but you can easily buy one (or many) from cargo. It's like, what, 80k or so? Maybe less? You can make that kind of cash pretty quick. The beeswax thing seems pointless when you can be slightly inconvenienced to just buy it and install it. This is what we did before when mechlab didn't bother scanning things.

I think that it takes a few extra steps is great.

Most of the time botany will have bees anyway. Well they should always have bees.
There is no downside to have them around.

Anyhow - emptying the QM cash to make it harder for the crew to get a new cloner is also an extra step for each traitor that tries to accomplish such a task.

Imagine if it would be even easier to get a new cloner going. Why even bother destroying one then?
Ngl I haven't fully read everything but I don't think this is per say an issue. Sure it's not the greatest thing in the world to require honey but you can always buy bee eggs from bombini and scan plant pots and other hydro stuff to set up in mech lab for this.

Last time I played cloning kits only costed 30k each, for a total 90k if you went for a tri-pod cloner. This is something that I personally would do first thing any time I could when I was QM, amongst other cargo podbay renovations. 90k was arguably nothing to a decent QM worth their salt.

Also this change has been live since sometime around the start of this year if I'm remembering correctly.
Just loot the honey from the bee ship at debris field.
Honey isnt really that hard to get. I dunno about beeswax but if it requires some honey you can just grab it from multiple places
I think the issue is alot of people dont know how to get it, including me. Ive never seen the material beeswax before
Ok. Proposal: Change honey's material from beeswax to honey. Make cloners use honey instead of beeswax (i.e. nothing really changes but it's clearer where to get the material). Add beeswax production elsewhere in the future.
that would honestly
(05-05-2021, 03:00 PM)pali6 Wrote: Ok. Proposal: Change honey's material from beeswax to honey. Make cloners use honey instead of beeswax (i.e. nothing really changes but it's clearer where to get the material). Add beeswax production elsewhere in the future.

that would honestly be better-
honey into reclaimer turns into beeswax isn't super intuitive - while honey and beeswax irl are both made by bees they're different things and if i hadn't looked up how to do it, i wouldn't have known how to make beeswax ( for those looking at this to wonder, it's just "put honey into a reclaimer" )