Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ideas for a Post portasci file world
Lightbulb 
This is not a thread for talking about the Portasci change it self, but instead its a thread for talking about new ideas and changes that can be implemented instead that is not just, "you teleport back home".

An idea I had was give PDAs the ability to check what you GPS coordinates on a minute or two cooldown.
adding onto it is when you send out a alert on your PDA, you also send out your GPS coordinates but give it a five to ten minute cool down so nether can work by spamming it.
Honestly just adding more GPS units to the public hangars, maybe to tool storage would be a great idea. They make rescue missions work and Telesci can zoop you up worst case scenario. Maybe adding some Sea Elevator Pinpointers around Oshan too.
I think the trench could use more sea elevators, and it is hard to navigate the trench map on the pda, getting lost in it is way worse than getting lost in space most of the time, the trench also doesn't have that many subs in prefabs. Can the port a medbay still work in the trench?, otherwise I think adding the elevator pin pointers to pdas would help a lot
would pdas just having fully functioning(no cooldown, even) space gps built in even be particularly overpowered or gamebreaking?
sure, it would make the space gps a little superfluous(except for the various roles that start with no PDA), but there's lots of items that have PDA duplicates that are straight-up stronger or as strong as the original item. Having a GPS built into your portable computer, a feature that essentially every smartphone has nowadays, just feels like it would make sense and be helpful in those situations where you become unexpectedly stranded on a different z level.
GPS program for the PDA that only lets you check your current coordinates and send a distress signal might not be a bad idea.
The Space GPS would still have the list of all the other Space GPS coordinates and be able to track any coordinates you input to it which is VERY useful for tracking down off station death alerts.
(05-03-2021, 09:34 AM)coolvape Wrote: would pdas just having fully functioning(no cooldown, even) space gps built in even be particularly overpowered or gamebreaking?
sure, it would make the space gps a little superfluous(except for the various roles that start with no PDA), but there's lots of items that have PDA duplicates that are straight-up stronger or as strong as the original item. Having a GPS built into your portable computer, a feature that essentially every smartphone has nowadays, just feels like it would make sense and be helpful in those situations where you become unexpectedly stranded on a different z level.

I like this solution as it solves the stuck in the trench/debris field/mining level problem and I don't see it being otherwise too powerful. The main use of GPS's right now is for telesci calibration. People don't seem to rush them currently, so I can't see how having everyone have one would upset balance too much. One thing that may need to change is that currently the GPS can be pinged via packets to send back their current location. An antag mechanic could use that to grab every crew member's coordinates and teleport them into the crusher. An easy solution would be for the PDA app to have tracking off by default and optionally toggled on by the user. That would just be changing the default state compared to the current physical GPS that starts with tracking enabled.