Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Porta sci program removal thread
My proposal of a feature to make azone exploring after this better: add "recaller suits" wich are suits you have to wear and they slow you down a bit, after using an ability the suit gives you, a 10 minutes count down starts, during wich the suit is unremovable, after the count down ends you get sent to where you were when you used the ability.
(05-02-2021, 05:47 PM)Eagletanker Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 05:42 PM)Camryn Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 05:37 PM)Eagletanker Wrote: Removal of the Port A Sci's app summoning function was a good idea imo. It will make Azone rushing much harder cause there isnt the crutch of the Port A Sci, and overall makes there be a more risk over reward function of Azones. The Port A Sci just kinda felt out of place too.

(05-02-2021, 05:31 PM)Camryn Wrote: I personally don't feel the port-a-sci is at all problematic outside of enabling people to rush azones solo.

My solution is simple: either nerf the loot or make the high-impact stuff actually difficult or time-consuming to acquire

Important note: some zones literally can't be escaped without summoning the port-a-sci (biodome pit because of the ladder to the catacombs for example)

This then becomes a mapping issue and one that is quite easy to solve! (another ladder out)

The port-a-sci still exists and will still enable a-zone rushing.

You'll just have to use the RD's remote instead of the PDA app.

Which means you have to have a slot open for it, and you cant just leave your PDA open and then do a quick three clicks to get out. So if you take alot of damage and fall into crit, your going to have to get into the port a sci and leave else your probably going to die instead of grabbing what ever it is and then leaving with very little risk of punishment cause once your in the locker your safe.

?????

I always use the remote instead of the app whenever I can because it's way less annoying than having to fish out my pda and open up the unreliable and slightly unresponsive pda interface
(05-02-2021, 05:54 PM)Camryn Wrote: ?????

I always use the remote instead of the app whenever I can because it's way less annoying than having to fish out my pda and open up the unreliable and slightly unresponsive pda interface

He's right- powergamers leave the PDA up and ready to click as soon as they need to, but it's really really a tiny thing.
(05-02-2021, 05:56 PM)penny Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 05:54 PM)Camryn Wrote: ?????

He's right- powergamers leave the PDA up and ready to click as soon as they need to, but it's really really a tiny thing.

That doesn't even work for me half the time
Leaving the PDA open is not uncommon, yeah
What if it was changed to be an entire pda cartridge, or the home turf was changed to somewhere else, Ie. a point in space?
I really doubt any idea wich is "revert the commit and do x" will make it, devs probably discussed it for long enough to not want it reverted. Imo telesci will be missing a way of coming back after doing an azone without it being a pain, port a sci made it super trivial and I agree with the changes, but I do think another feature should be added, I had 1 idea for it wich I posted earlier and I would be interested in hearing everyone else's.
one thing I am already foreseeing is that Trench mining is going to be even more of a risk then it already is since if you lose your Sub/Pod you can be as good as dead if you are far enough away from the areas that you can get back up from
Was this change something people were asking for, or was there a lot of abuse that was ruining rounds for others? With the remote still working, it seems like powergamers can still powergame while the people who will be most impacted are those casually exploring azones just to see them. It also makes it nearly impossible to escape from certain scenarios, such as falling into the trench. The syndicate cargo transporter might as well just kill people instead now since there is nearly no chance of getting back even if you can survive the destination. I'm most disappointed by how this change will prevent some of the exciting close escapes I have seen play out where someone in deep crit is pulled back from near death.
wait does this change effect the port a medbay? because it could be a reasonable alternative to the port a sci
(05-02-2021, 06:30 PM)Rilor Wrote: wait does this change effect the port a medbay? because it could be a reasonable alternative to the port a sci

The port a medbay doesnt work on the AZone Z level, nor does the nano med or brig. (but its always been that way) so I doubt they recieved any changes.
(05-02-2021, 06:19 PM)Splints Wrote: Was this change something people were asking for, or was there a lot of abuse that was ruining rounds for others? With the remote still working, it seems like powergamers can still powergame while the people who will be most impacted are those casually exploring azones just to see them. It also makes it nearly impossible to escape from certain scenarios, such as falling into the trench. The syndicate cargo transporter might as well just kill people instead now since there is nearly no chance of getting back even if you can survive the destination. I'm most disappointed by how this change will prevent some of the exciting close escapes I have seen play out where someone in deep crit is pulled back from near death.

just a push to master w/o pr that I know Tarm said they were eyeing doing like last week.

PSci itself as an object was not particulary abused from my experience, just one of the unfortunate factors that causes people to go solo azoning and running for stuff; i think that's where i'd rather have looked instead of at the psci app. the people who want to run azones for busted gear will continue to do so knowing how to get out of the azones in the minimally slower but still existent paths out of them. 

i just find removing the pda app insanely damaging. there's tons of times it was used for fun to go with other people somewhere and join everyone late or w/e; i've primarily used it and been shuttled in it out of the trench or asteroid field for rescue stuff; it's been instrumental to dump bodies i find with prints immediately where someone is waiting for them without me having to leave the field; and it came in handy one disasterous round i went telescience exploring with three friends and someone broke the actual teleporter console so we popped out in the middle of a handful of drones in the belt, and one-by-one evac'd out of there.

really unhappy with this change, and especially since it wasn't solicited for community feedback here or on github at all; just the comment from last week is what i know of.

i don't think anyone at all will think about doing recovery in the trench or the asteroid belt now, since it:
1. requires you have a pod/sub
2. requires you are willing to relay-race back and forth from where you are to the station to drop a body or hurt person off, and then back again
since the app is worthless now, this will only encourage people to break into the RD's office every shift.

the idea that you need a physical object to summon porta sci might not be too bad if you want to make it so that the AI cant just send people porta sci if they are dying, but I would then highly recommend there actually being enough spare remotes lying around for others to use. I've never understood why the porta sci remote starts as only the RD's, every medic get access to porta medbay and nano med so why cant scientists have access to porta sci?

if they goal is to stop people from doing telesci alone then I have to ask why?
as stated in other posts, there are places that you can only return from by using porta sci and besides, what fun is it to require someone to just sitting at the computer waiting for someone to return to the pad so they can hit receive.
it also heavily ruins the fact that most of telesci is suppose to be secret. if you cant do telesci by yourself but you want to explore something like solarium then you could easily end up showing someone new a bunch of secrets.

If the problem is what people can get from rushing azones then just nerf those items. I know very well how lethal some of the weapons you can get are but you also have to remember how tanky and deadly some of the monsters are. If you were to nerf or remove the weapons telesci has access to you would also need to nerf some of the monsters or else you would get azones with no real way to fight back.

in conclusion, if you wanted to make it so that porta sci isnt a cure all for rescues that would be fine, and maybe even a good change, but the ability to return to the station without needing to beg someone to hit receive is a needed feature.
If people solo azoning for overpowered gear is the problem, the solution is removing the overpowered gear from azones.
Ive been saying this in OOC and in the discord for forever, but REMOVE THE AK. AZones should have COOL shit like the shrink/grow gun. NOT OVERPOWERD SHIT.