Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Add the same minimum round requirement security has to nukeops
Time and time again, I have seen nukeops get absolutely crushed because half of them were new players who didn't know how to switch hands or how to take off their backpack. As a teamwork-centric antagonist, having multiple players with absolutely no idea what they are doing can lead to incredibly short rounds that are boring for crew and frustrating of operatives.
(05-02-2021, 09:17 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Time and time again, I have seen nukeops get absolutely crushed because half of them were new players who didn't know how to switch hands or how to take off their backpack. As a teamwork-centric antagonist, having multiple players with absolutely no idea what they are doing can lead to incredibly short rounds that are boring for crew and frustrating of operatives.
Might be an interesting idea to extend this to other antags like traitor to prevent new players having no clue how to do antag things.
(05-02-2021, 09:52 AM)unfunnyperson Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 09:17 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Time and time again, I have seen nukeops get absolutely crushed because half of them were new players who didn't know how to switch hands or how to take off their backpack. As a teamwork-centric antagonist, having multiple players with absolutely no idea what they are doing can lead to incredibly short rounds that are boring for crew and frustrating of operatives.
Might be an interesting idea to extend this to other antags like traitor to prevent new players having no clue how to do antag things.

I am against making this something for all antagonists, I only want it for nukeops cause they are a team based mode and not knowing what to do can make things worse for other players. A traitor or changeling not knowing what to do is more funny than annoying.
Fail to learn. Learn to fail.

Hard no. I am against this idea. When I first started I learned those roles by making mistakes.
Setting a limit for this would just postpone someone doing those mistakes.

There is no such thing as NukeOps Assistant as there is to Security.
(05-02-2021, 11:28 AM)GORE Wrote: Fail to learn. Learn to fail.

Hard no. I am against this idea. When I first started I learned those roles by making mistakes.
Setting a limit for this would just postpone someone doing those mistakes.

There is a difference between "failed because you surrounded the nuke with rwalls and couldn't see someone teleport on top of it" and "failed because you don't know there are intents besides help". If you barely know the controls you shouldn't be playing a team based mode where one person's fuckup can screw over the entire team.
losing my shit at the idea of "NukeAss"
its a baby nukeop and they don't get a full kit just sidearm, maybe utilities, backpack + some kind of goofy armor
I've suggested this before myself. It's one thing to hand hold a new player through botany or chemistry. Another to try in a high action situation with any number of variables going on. Don't know how many times there's been something silly and easily avoidable before even leaving the Carnegorn. Sure I haven't been the only player to see a fellow nukie use all their ammo at the shooting range, not know how to get in/move a pod, or get blown up by someone using the RPG (yes. This happened to me before leaving the nukie ship).

Mind you, we do have option for testing nukie gear in VR - for those who take the time to use it.
My main goal is less for people already knowing nukeops tactics before they start playing nuke but to at least have the basics of the game down before they play a team mode. Like the main reason the minimum round requirement was added to security was because experienced officers were tired of dealing with players who still need help learning the controls setting secoff as favorite.
I dont think 15 rounds is enough for security, but as for nukies, there should be an optional tutorial video they can watch where they spawn. (Maybe it links em to a 60 second youtuebe video idk)
Tbh there should probably be a round minimum before you can even roll antag. Nothing as high as security's should be but it should be there so rounds don't occur where you have new players getting antag and not knowing what to do. That just makes the round bland for everyone and it's not beneficial to the new player in any capacity.
During my early rounds I enjoyed rolling antag and experimenting with the systems more freely with less restrictions to the lethal impact of others.
Learning by making mistakes is the most profitrable option for likely a few people.

I would have been bummed out greatly by not even getting to make the decision whether I want to roll antag early on or not.

Let folks decide for themselves.
I'm in favor of a round requirement for nukies, and honestly for revheads too. 15 rounds is not a, "you must fully understand how to effectively robust people and the combat system." 15 rounds means you understand basic mechanics, and have enough of an idea about the game that you can decide whether or not you want to play nukie. If you're a traitor and you have no idea what you're doing, at worst, security will be a bit bored that shift. If you're a nukie and you have no idea what you're doing, the entire round is boring for everyone, as the nukies are defeatedly easily.
i think maybe a middleground is that it could try to grab a mix of experienced and inexperienced players so they can learn

or add a drill sergeant to the nuke op shuttle to help new players (who then promptly selfdestructs into gibs once they leave the shuttle)
(05-05-2021, 06:05 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i think maybe a middleground is that it could try to grab a mix of experienced and inexperienced players so they can learn

or add a drill sergeant to the nuke op shuttle to help new players (who then promptly selfdestructs into gibs once they leave the shuttle)
I like the drill sergeant thing. It could be a mentor/hos whitelist, and if its nukies and theres several first, second, or third round nukies, itll grab a drill sergeant to help each nukie get prepared, then the Drill Sergeant dissapears once the nukies leave
I'm all for people learning through failure as I agree you learn infinitely more that way.  But rounds ending really super early with limited to no awareness that it is a nukie round (or blob for that matter) feels disappointing.  There is just enough time to get setup in your department, start talking to someone, and..... You Win!  Argh!

With the boost to nukie count though, I agree that factoring in experience would be interesting to have new and experienced players put on the team. Mostly something attempt to limit how green the team is.