Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roundtype proposal: Wraith/Haunting
pizzatiger Wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to put this....but can you make salt also stop regular ghosts too! Make salt infused shovels and beat up ghosts or infuse walls with salt to stop a ghost from entering that tile! A salt pile won't stop a ghost though but only make it visable
No, never, this idea is dumb and you are dumb.
Readster Wrote:
pizzatiger Wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to put this....but can you make salt also stop regular ghosts too! Make salt infused shovels and beat up ghosts or infuse walls with salt to stop a ghost from entering that tile! A salt pile won't stop a ghost though but only make it visable
No, never, this idea is dumb and you are dumb.

Sorry...i just though it be intreasting if you could Ghost proof a room after a bunch of hard work -Tearing down the walls and then having to make salt-infused steel to make the new walls with salt trails at the doors and windows-
MyBlueCorners Wrote:Wraiths cannot go into space - They are bound to the station, the only way they can escape is to board the shuttle inside of a human host

I like the idea of not allowing the wraith to enter space to prevent it from escaping without a host body, at the same time I see this turning the conveyor room in the center of the station becoming a de-facto safe haven from the wraith, and the air bridges being a hard-lockout for the ghostly fiend. Also, bombs are a thing and they tend to chop up large portions of the station when set off.

Instead of being unable to move into space tiles as a wraith, I suggest that moving into space tiles should cost the wraith whatever pool of resources they would get from offing people and simply binding the wraith to the station Z-level.

Alternatively, give them a long-cool-down teleport?
I kind of feel this kind of antag role would be best in mixed than it's own gamemode. It allows wraiths to tip the odds if an antagonist is going on a murdering spree - kill all the assistants and nobody can hunt the wraith for you, if they wanted to that was as they could just as easily work for the antagonist's advantage.

In fact (although this likely won't be popular) having a guaranteed wraith role each round might mix things up significantly. Will the wraith be glaring obvious/annoying and get a ghost buster team after it's ethereal ass or will it play the silent watcher and occasionally mess with things as situations arise.

Think Peeves from Harry Potter.
Wire Wrote:The reason this is getting some attention now a year after the fact: myself and others are currently working on making this a thing.

This is in no way related to my byond key containing the word wraith. Nuh uh.

Yeah, we're doing tinkering and brainstorming, tweaking the code to make stuff work (mob code has driven at least one of us to temporary madness), and have a feature list (much of which is based on the discussion in this thread from back in ye olden days) but further suggestions are welcome.
Daeren Wrote:
Wire Wrote:The reason this is getting some attention now a year after the fact: myself and others are currently working on making this a thing.

This is in no way related to my byond key containing the word wraith. Nuh uh.

Yeah, we're doing tinkering and brainstorming, tweaking the code to make stuff work (mob code has driven at least one of us to temporary madness), and have a feature list (much of which is based on the discussion in this thread from back in ye olden days) but further suggestions are welcome.

If I remember my coder rants correctly, mob code is the most maddening portion of the code after atmos.
Daeren Wrote:Some adminchat brought up an unorthodox idea:

Why does the wraith have to be killable?

Bear with it for a second. Going back to my idea in the first post about a power pool/health combo for incorporeal wraiths, why not make it so zeroing out on that doesn't do anything aside from neuter the wraith for a while? Because it got its shit slapped around so badly, now it can only do really minor things until it gets its power back, so it had better be either extremely patient or extremely good with using low-cost powers to cause death. Another suggestion was that the wraith could use darkness to recharge its powers without waiting on deaths (if that is indeed how it would work), which would encourage flashlight brigades to try to flush it out and deny it spooky places to lurk. That might run into trouble with all the maintenance tunnels and shady side areas, though.
I like this a lot, btw. Antagonists are the lifeblood of the station, so having one that can't be outright killed and only driven back will keep things more interesting in the long run.

BadClown Wrote:I kind of feel this kind of antag role would be best in mixed than it's own gamemode. It allows wraiths to tip the odds if an antagonist is going on a murdering spree - kill all the assistants and nobody can hunt the wraith for you, if they wanted to that was as they could just as easily work for the antagonist's advantage.

In fact (although this likely won't be popular) having a guaranteed wraith role each round might mix things up significantly. Will the wraith be glaring obvious/annoying and get a ghost buster team after it's ethereal ass or will it play the silent watcher and occasionally mess with things as situations arise.

Think Peeves from Harry Potter.
I don't know if I'd want a Wraith every round, but it would be neat if there was a setting where sometimes, after a random amount of time has passed, the first person to die past that mark is made into a Wraith instead of a normal ghost.
How about some holy candles to help fight the ghost? They'd be candles that, when the Wraith was in the light of them, he'd be vulnerable to physical attacks that drain his resource pool. Or, if he's possessed someone, it would help drive him out of the body. Candles could start in the chapel, but maybe Bees could make wax on top of honey, which could be crafted into more candles, and then made holy by blessing them with the bible, holy water, having the Chaplain do it.
I really like the idea of the wraith being immortal. I think it would probably make it feel more threatening if you could only weaken it, but not outright remove it.
Image the fun of a wrath prepossessing a newly made husk, and fighting the changeling with it.
I had a round where I was revived after accidentally being killed by an admin gimmick. The thing was, I was a ghost when that happened, and for the duration of that round, I could go in and out of my body.
However, the coolest thing wasn't being able to scout around the station, but rather listen to the funny things on deadchat. Like being told stuff like "My body is currently stuck in a garbage disposal and has three beakerbombs of hellfoam" or "The Chef is a Spy". I think if there is dead and living interaction, it should probably be limited to just vocal communication.
Noah Buttes Wrote:I really like the idea of the wraith being immortal. I think it would probably make it feel more threatening if you could only weaken it, but not outright remove it.
Agreed. It would also be a good idea to have the wraith take a little bit to get the wraith back to full power, so the crew could sap him and be a bit safer for a little before they have to worry again.
I agree that the immortality idea is boss, too often you just get people gung-ho to murderlize the enemy, to feel like the big strong rambo matcho maens.

An enemy that can only be beaten back temporarily is exactly what we've been needing, in my opinion. Having said that, I think it should be something that pops up in mixed mode sometimes, or some other relatively rare percentage. Spooky stuff works best when it's not overplayed.
I don't really know what the wrath's goal would be, but I feel like it would more often then not be the director of it's own film.

Being immortal, able to control items and people, able to just ghost in at a moments notice and cause people to be all scared, or start fights for no reason.

Wrath's goal is probably to cause deaths, the funnest way to do that is to get the crew angry enough to kill themselves.

Possess the clown or janitor, start a small scale riot.

Cause the crew to break down as they realize while they can hold you back, they can never really toolbox you to death.

Also with the coffin sealing thing, you could go prey on the people who clearly have no idea what they are doing. maybe convince that clown that letting you free would be really funny, or that security officer that you'll promise to stop the ling.
atomic1fire Wrote:I don't really know what the wrath's goal would be, but I feel like it would more often then not be the director of it's own film.

Being immortal, able to control items and people, able to just ghost in at a moments notice and cause people to be all scared, or start fights for no reason.

Wrath's goal is probably to cause deaths, the funnest way to do that is to get the crew angry enough to kill themselves.

Possess the clown or janitor, start a small scale riot.

Cause the crew to break down as they realize while they can hold you back, they can never really toolbox you to death.

Also with the coffin sealing thing, you could go prey on the people who clearly have no idea what they are doing. maybe convince that clown that letting you free would be really funny, or that security officer that you'll promise to stop the ling.
I like the idea of the wraith being deadly enough to be considered a threat, but non-threatening enough to be bartered with, kind of like a wizard in that sense.