Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Butterfly Knife Traitor Item
A small traitor knife that has two modes, open and closed. When its closed, it can be concealed and hidden, and in hand it will show no sprite. When opened, it cannot be concealed, and will show an inhand sprite. On a normal attack, it will do 8 damage, and cause bleeding. If you happen to be behind a target, it will deal increased damage, up to 30, plus stunning the target if they werent already staggered or knocked down, for about 2 seconds. Costs 5 traitor points. Twirling will make a nice noise (and can increase the normal attack damage, with a cap of 15. this extra damage goes away upon stabbing somebody.)
Just mentioning I think 8 damage is a bit low for 5 points considering I'm fairly sure the syndicate dagger does most of that for like 2 and a fire extinguisher does 10 blunt which is free.

Hell a csaber is 2 more points and does like 35 damage and a ton of bleed.
(04-23-2021, 03:28 PM)Drewmajor11 Wrote: Just mentioning I think 8 damage is a bit low for 5 points considering I'm fairly sure the syndicate dagger does most of that for like 2 and a fire extinguisher does 10 blunt which is free.

It isnt exactly meant for direct attacks, more like stealth attacks from behind people. Also, doesnt the csaber now deal 60?
The more you twirl it the more damage it should do on it's next attack, capped at a certain amount
positional stuff sounds pretty cool

but honestly can you really say it's based off the tf2 spy knife if it can't facestab people either?
The fiber wire already lets you instantly knock people out from behind and deals a shitload of oxy+bleed. 30 brute+stun on backstab wouldn't be good enough to justify using it over the wire.
(04-23-2021, 05:42 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: The fiber wire already lets you instantly knock people out from behind and deals a shitload of oxy+bleed. 30 brute+stun on backstab wouldn't be good enough to justify using it over the wire.

well sometimes you don't just want to murder someone

maybe you just give them the old manchester hello and cripple them (in the literal sense, they are paralyzed from the waist down)
(04-23-2021, 03:28 PM)Drewmajor11 Wrote: Just mentioning I think 8 damage is a bit low for 5 points considering I'm fairly sure the syndicate dagger does most of that for like 2 and a fire extinguisher does 10 blunt which is free.

65 damage
I'm a bit leery of so clearly a reference to TF2 in both form and function. But I do like the idea of the idea. I'm not sure how to make it suitably unique here though.

The one comment I do have on the base idea is that a 5 second stun on a back hit is too strong, unless it has caveats. Like perhaps it shouldn't work on people who are combat staggered or if they have already been stabbed by you in the last few seconds. Maybe a shorter weaken or disorient effect would be better. Because otherwise you could pretty easily keep stabbing them with the stun effect.
(04-25-2021, 01:08 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: I'm a bit leery of so clearly a reference to TF2 in both form and function. But I do like the idea of the idea. I'm not sure how to make it suitably unique here though.

The one comment I do have on the base idea is that a 5 second stun on a back hit is too strong, unless it has caveats. Like perhaps it shouldn't work on people who are combat staggered or if they have already been stabbed by you in the last few seconds. Maybe a shorter weaken or disorient effect would be better. Because otherwise you could pretty easily keep stabbing them with the stun effect.

Changed it up a bit again, does this seem better?
(04-25-2021, 01:08 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: I'm a bit leery of so clearly a reference to TF2 in both form and function. But I do like the idea of the idea. I'm not sure how to make it suitably unique here though.

what's wrong with references? game is chock full of them
Make it a Let it Die butterfly knife reference instead.

maybe make the stab give you a brief cloak and speed boost after either killing someone or putting them into crit? (i'd say just on hit, but that might be too powerful, even if the damage is pretty low)
it'd make it more "tf2 spy"-like, although it's not something spies can actually do. it'd differentiate it from other melee weapons, and encourage hit and run tactics
or even add synergies with other traitor items(or make a set of them specifically for this), have it so if you've also got an agent card, voice synth, and/or chameleon jumpsuit, it automatically changes to match whoever you just killed with the knife? - that's basically just the "your eternal reward" from tf2, but it'd be an interesting synergy that doesn't currently exist between traitor items - spending to get the knife and each of those things would take 8 tc, leaving you 4 to spend on extras - the derringer or .22 revolver feel especially thematic!