Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Disarm rebalancing
From discussion on the discord, it was concluded that disarms are kind of unfun to play around in their current state. This is the rough idea I and several others came up with.

The current status quo:
Right now, in addition to a small amount of stamina damage, three things can happen when a disarm is attempted:
  1. Nothing at all
  2. Weapon gets knocked out of the target's hand
  3. Target gets knocked down
The chance of 2 or 3 happening is determined by the target's current stamina, but even at 100% stamina, there is a greater-than-1% chance of the target dropping their weapon. This can lead to cases of players getting screwed over by bad luck, as they can lose their weapon on the first shove even at max stamina. This feels bad to play against as it means that you can potentially immediately lose a fight by no fault of your own because you had bad luck. In addition, the fact that the most common outcome is "nothing happens" means that disarm-based combat is extremely luck-dependent as well, as if you fail to disarm there is nothing stopping the target from retaliating immediately.

The suggested changes:
This is what we came up on the discord. This idea is rather rough so feedback is wanted. The broad ideas are as follows:
  • Add more effects to in-between "absolutely nothing" and "drop their weapon"
Now when a disarm fails to knock an item out of the target's hand, it will have a chance to mess with them in other ways, such as swapping their current hand, changing their current intent, or changing where they are targeting. These effects will come with a unique visual/audio cue to let the target know something just happened.
  • Reduce the chance of the target losing their weapon or getting knocked down, with complete immunity with at least 200 stamina
With their being more potential effects on disarm, the most debilitating effects can be made much less common. If the target has at least 200 stamina, the chance of dropping their weapon or being knocked down will be 0%. Every point of lost stamina below 200 will raise the chance by 0.5%, up to a cap of 50% at 100 stamina or less. If it successfully rolls a weapon drop, it will roll an additional chance to knock down, with the same values.

As I said already, this is a rough idea and feedback is wanted to refine it. Please reply with any balancing concerns or new ideas.
intent and hand swapping doesn't do anything for most common weapons besides for disabling their special attacks and i feel it will force a lot of folk to have to fight with the interface just as much as the fight itself, which i dont think would be enjoyable.

looking at the code it seems that unlike shoving to the ground, weapon disarming is not in any way stamina oriented and sits at a flat 37% chance unless you're blocking whereby it becomes 5%, which i think should be reworked somewhat

right now though disarm is pretty much the only way to actually deal with armed attackers if you aren't equally as well equipped, and with melee being functionally unlimited in efficiency compared to ranged weaponry's limited ammunition, i do think there should be the need for someone with a weapon to be taking on at least some risk in engaging in combat.
I don't like any situation that allows an antagonist to engage unarmed combatants with absolutely zero concern for their own safety regardless of the skill level of the person they are attacking.
Most disarms you can avoid by just hotkey putting stuff away unless you have a clear shot or are ready and on your feet. While yes it can suck I would say that this idea would need to be worked on a fair bit more to work well.
if someones disarming you just swap hands. cant lose the item if its not in your active hand. I feel that its fine where it is now.