Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[MERGED PR] Stun baton nerf, cus I've been feeling brave/stupid/both with my PRs l...
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
Nerfs the stun baton to only knock down and weaken people for 10 seconds total on 2 hits. Still completely drains stamina in two hits. Before hand, it actually stunned for 20 seconds, but stuns cap out at 30 seconds so technically the total is 40.

Why's this needed?
The stun baton is supposed to primarily be the Sec Officers tool for confirming an arrest. However, due to its very generous stun it's become a meta weapon, superior over all other lethal weapons due to being able to take down a person for 30 seconds with 2 hits. With this nerf, you get a 30 second stun, you'll need to stun someone over 4 times. This shouldn't make a difference in arresting people for Sec but lower it's combat potential.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Carbadox
(*)The stun baton no longer knock down and weakens for 20 seconds but instead, only 10 seconds now. This shouldn't make a difference in Security arresting people but lower it's nerf it's very powerful combat potential.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I think this will be barely noticeable, seems like an useless change but I would be down to merging it for a test and seeing how it plays
I don't like this. There are limited stunbatons on station and each hit with it reduces the battery for it. Security already has to worry about running out of charge and having a useless stick but to make it so the stun is even less effective is kinda not great. Well unless you want to see security just beating people to make them stay down instead of stunning them.
yea security is supposed to be able to stun people. if you make their stuns bad, their only option will be to lethal medium- tier crimers.

oh and to add on to this, people who are out to kill with stun batons will easily obtain more then one.
(04-22-2021, 07:34 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: I don't like this. There are limited stunbatons on station and each hit with it reduces the battery for it. Security already has to worry about running out of charge and having a useless stick but to make it so the stun is even less effective is kinda not great. Well unless you want to see security just beating people to make them stay down instead of stunning them.

Sec can buy self charging cells now. You can stick it in a stun baton or swap it out with a 300u cell. Theres more than enough options for power management.

(04-22-2021, 08:19 AM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: yea security is supposed to be able to stun people. if you make their stuns bad, their only option will be to lethal medium- tier crimers.

oh and to add on to this, people who are out to kill with stun batons will easily obtain more then one.

Im not really sure you read the description outside of "stun baton nerf"
Every baton is already tracked, if you steal one security should be able to easily find you, so I don't think nerfing their combat potential is necessary. Also this would make it way worse to deal with any criminals that can instantly break cuffs.
(04-22-2021, 12:25 PM)Maegor Wrote: Every baton is already tracked, if you steal one security should be able to easily find you, so I don't think nerfing their combat potential is necessary. Also this would make it way worse to deal with any criminals that can instantly break cuffs.

I'm just saying I've stolen basically every baton the sec team had before and they never tracked it. 

Also to other stuff, I think that this will just turn into sec hitting you extra times and wasting charge then throwing you in the port a brig which they already do a fair bit. I don't fully disagree the stun baton is a bit too powerful because how easy they are to get as antag especially with AA and how quickly you can fuck someone over though.
4 hits would be 50% of a stun baton's energy supply which is a bit much to bring someone down for long enough to handle them. I mean, people get re-stunned a lot during handling and this would just slow down and frustrate sec's work for no real benefit. Antags do not give a shit between a 30 or 40 second stun because they can just beat someone helpless or space them.
(04-22-2021, 01:39 PM)Drewmajor11 Wrote:
(04-22-2021, 12:25 PM)Maegor Wrote: Every baton is already tracked, if you steal one security should be able to easily find you, so I don't think nerfing their combat potential is necessary. Also this would make it way worse to deal with any criminals that can instantly break cuffs.

I'm just saying I've stolen basically every baton the sec team had before and they never tracked it. 

I don't know about others, but I've used it any time I've lost my gear and it's actually an amazing tool.

I would say either you
1. Didn't realize Sec was tracking you (Not something I mention when it does happen)
2. You killed that officer
3. They ditched their tracker like a doofus

If there was a way to track other officers equipment you'd probably notice it more
sec's job is already pretty miserable and the stun's beefy to make it possible to deal with shitters on drugs. maybe nerfing their effectiveness somewhat for non-security could be a feasible change if stolen stunbatons are such a big issue.
i think if you want to make the stun baton worse a good place to look at might be its disorient time (the duration of the slowed effect on-hit) or its stamina damage

leave the consistency of the stuntime as what people are used with, but give people a slightly more favored chance to escape after being whacked once and dodging a second hit
(04-22-2021, 10:51 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(04-22-2021, 01:39 PM)Drewmajor11 Wrote:

I don't know about others, but I've used it any time I've lost my gear and it's actually an amazing tool.

I would say either you
1. Didn't realize Sec was tracking you (Not something I mention when it does happen)
2. You killed that officer
3. They ditched their tracker like a doofus

If there was a way to track other officers equipment you'd probably notice it more

I'm fairly sure I didn't kill anyone because if I remember correctly it was RP. I've done it a few times on both servers and they just kind of forget to, I think they have once or twice but normally I just stunned them then stole the next stun weapon.
(04-23-2021, 07:13 AM)mbc Wrote: i think if you want to make the stun baton worse a good place to look at might be its disorient time (the duration of the slowed effect on-hit) or its stamina damage

leave the consistency of the stuntime as what people are used with, but give people a slightly more favored chance to escape after being whacked once and dodging a second hit

You could start with this and see how that plays out. Do a follow-up PR if necessary.
(04-23-2021, 07:13 AM)mbc Wrote: i think if you want to make the stun baton worse a good place to look at might be its disorient time (the duration of the slowed effect on-hit) or its stamina damage

That's the exact opposite of the intent of the PR
So the core issue this PR is trying to address is how good stun batons are in the hands of the wrong people, right?