Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mentor Mice Eaten by Blobs can talk with them
I made this suggestion in the questionable quality thread, but was poked on discord to make it it's own topic since people liked it.

To my knowledge, there is no way for a mentor to offer help to a blob player and there are some basic tips like using hotkeys that can change how effective they are.  It would be nice if mentor mice that were eaten could communicate directly to the blob in question.  Maybe even add a special interact with the blob so they know you want to help.
I dont know, Blob chat moves FAST, and i feel like mentors could backseat game, or tell blobs which flanks are under attack. If blobs are spending time talking to a mouse, they arent winning.
It's more for the new blobs that aren't likely to win anyways. Though I agree, chatting isn't expanding the blob.

To counter any mice going meta with their help, I'd suggest locking their view to the eye.
(04-20-2021, 02:54 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: I dont know, Blob chat moves FAST, and i feel like mentors could backseat game, or tell blobs which flanks are under attack. If blobs are spending time talking to a mouse, they arent winning.

"backseat gaming" like this is already frowned upon for mentors to do, there's nothing wrong with offering advice to an antagonist on how to play their role, but mentors are already expected to exercise good judgement in answering too far past the questions. This is flat out mentioned in the mentor guidelines, and if a mentor is doing this kind of thing, they shouldn't be a mentor.

I like this idea and more methods for mentor mice to be able to help more difficult and esoteric roles, the better (I'd also like to see a similar function for AIs).
Could just let mentors message people they are observing, mentor mice r cool n all but I feel like it would be easier for them if they could just message people like admins can and it could just look like the mentor PMs from discord we have.
I would appreciate being able to offer help to someone I'm observing, particularly newer players who may not be aware of what that weird purple thing is on their screen; would probably require a cooldown of several minutes with a player preference to disable receiving this form of unprompted prompting. This is only tangentially related to the thread though, so I'll leave it at that.
(04-22-2021, 03:54 PM)virvatuli Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 02:54 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: I dont know, Blob chat moves FAST, and i feel like mentors could backseat game, or tell blobs which flanks are under attack. If blobs are spending time talking to a mouse, they arent winning.

"backseat gaming" like this is already frowned upon for mentors to do, there's nothing wrong with offering advice to an antagonist on how to play their role, but mentors are already expected to exercise good judgement in answering too far past the questions. This is flat out mentioned in the mentor guidelines, and if a mentor is doing this kind of thing, they shouldn't be a mentor.

I like this idea and more methods for mentor mice to be able to help more difficult and esoteric roles, the better (I'd also like to see a similar function for AIs).

ideally in this type of situation it would be the blob asking for advice rather than the mentor mouse never shutting its tiny rat mouth on how to win as blob
I still think blobs should be able to hear deadchat, like wraiths can.
Eh, it can still lead to extra eyes for the blob player.

Even a player unintentionally casually mentioning that they can't wait to see the nucleus get torched is a big enough indicator to the blob to go "oh wait a minute maybe I shouldn't focus here".

It works fine for wraith because the wraith is made for the sole purpose of making other players suffer the wraith is generally invulnerable most of the time and can only work off of where certain people are.
Would it be possible to make the mouse only see in a small radius around the eye/cursor thing?
I'd think it's in-character for the blob to be aware of things outside of the overmind. Having ghosts tell it things it cant see on screen could be handwaved as the blob's distributed senses detecting things through magic blobmeans.
Blob chat moves quick. One of the reasons I think blobs cant see ghost chat is beacuse its already easy to miss the notification that your nucleas is under attack. If you have more chat from ghosts it would be even harder to read messages in chat. Also, it can move too quick to read ghost chat so its redundant.