Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Don & Doff Actionbars
Add actionbar for wearing/removing/swapping complicated equipment.

Design Goals:
  • Increase value of combat and general-situational preparation with respect to equipment choices. 
  • Address means of arbitrarily don/doff equipment as a means of mitigating movement speed decreases.
  • Provide a new mechanism to adjust the value of equipment.
Considerations:
  • Try to minimize types of equipment impacted. (Space suits, Heavy Armor, Suits)
  • Leverage familiarity with equipment to improve use. (training_engineering for space things, training_security for armor, training_medical biosuit, training_chaplain for sweet robes…
  • Allow some movement without stopping the actionbar. Perhaps, allow for additional movement at the cost of minor progress lost.

Possible Complications:
    Serves to slow down gameplay.
Id say jumpsuit slot items, full body outer wear, maybe armor vests?, and probably jet packs should have some time to put on.
But yeah I see a problem in slowing down the gameplay though the game is pretty damn fast currently.
I only play on Morty and Sylv lately so I'm just gonna see things through the RP lens by default, my main issue with this would be on the RP servers where removing everything to shower and keep the stinky motive up would be a decently slower process that is unavoidable if you want to keep your motives in the green... but I do like the RP aspect of having to take time preparing gear too tbh
This feels like it's trying to address something that isn't actually a problem.
(04-17-2021, 03:37 AM)walpvrgis Wrote: I only play on Morty and Sylv lately so I'm just gonna see things through the RP lens by default, my main issue with this would be on the RP servers where removing everything to shower and keep the stinky motive up would be a decently slower process that is unavoidable if you want to keep your motives in the green... but I do like the RP aspect of having to take time preparing gear too tbh

I think Azrun is focusing on the advantaged clothing like body armor and space suits? This shouldn't be bad for docs, scientists in casual gear and the mime scarf.
(04-17-2021, 05:27 AM)Camryn Wrote: This feels like it's trying to address something that isn't actually a problem.

Have to second this.
(04-17-2021, 07:30 AM)Leeanei Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 03:37 AM)walpvrgis Wrote: I only play on Morty and Sylv lately so I'm just gonna see things through the RP lens by default, my main issue with this would be on the RP servers where removing everything to shower and keep the stinky motive up would be a decently slower process that is unavoidable if you want to keep your motives in the green... but I do like the RP aspect of having to take time preparing gear too tbh

I think Azrun is focusing on the advantaged clothing like body armor and space suits? This shouldn't be bad for docs, scientists in casual gear and the mime scarf.

Oh! You're right. I think I just saw the phrase "jumpsuit slot items" in a reply and kill bill sirens went off in my mind, hah. :P
(04-17-2021, 05:27 AM)Camryn Wrote: This feels like it's trying to address something that isn't actually a problem.
Agreed, the hotswap stuff fits ss13 well and works pretty decently with the combat and other systems.
(04-17-2021, 07:46 AM)nefarious6th Wrote:

Have to second this.

I would say it's in line with the decision to add action bar timers to things like reloading tasers, where I don't see it as a solution to a problem as much as adding a bit of texture to some mechanics

Quote:Possible Complications:

Serves to slow down gameplay.

It probably would in some regards, but is that a bad thing?
Video 
Suiting Up To Fire
[Image: dondoff_suit_up_fire.apng]

Suits (Engineer training vs Staff)
[Image: dondoff_eng01.apng][Image: dondoff_staff01.apng]

Captains Gear: Equip Armor then Swap for Coat (Captain vs Staff)
[Image: dondoff_cap01.apng][Image: dondoff_notcap01.apng]

Walking while putting on gear...
[Image: dondoff_cap_on_move.apng]
I like this. I think it's completely faiar and makes sense to exist, without being too slow gameplay wise.
(04-17-2021, 09:49 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 07:46 AM)nefarious6th Wrote:

Have to second this.

I would say it's in line with the decision to add action bar timers to things like reloading tasers, where I don't see it as a solution to a problem as much as adding a bit of texture to some mechanics

I don't really see this as adding texture so much as just adding more unnecessary waiting to the game. There's nothing particularly engaging about having to wait a few seconds to put on some clothes.

Maybe the one exception would be for stuff like the syndicate knight armor or the riot armor. It would eliminate the tactic of "run fast, put on armor when you reach fight"
For EVA gear, the complexity of donning or doffing it is already reflected by the fact that you need to wear at least four different items (suit, helmet, airtank, mask), and if you want to do it optimally you need to manually fill said airtank to its max capacity if you want to maximize your EVA time.  Theres more than enough clicks involved here that the impression of it being complicated is already well conveyed IMO.  Adding progress bars to the existing process is just going to compound the waiting time even further, probably to a point not even the most sticklish among us want.
Outside of situations involving combat (or general antagonistic activity) and environmental danger I definitely agree this adds delay that would previously not be there. It goes to whether or not you might want to play with don/doffing rules in a table-top setting, but unfortunately there isn’t a good means to handwave the mechanic when it isn’t applicable. The danger of being ambushed when resting is completely different if you have to weigh if you would wake up fully equipped at the cost of reduced benefits of said rest. Some people hate it and want to focus on the adventure while others want to wrestle with those kinds of choices.

Limiting the actionbar to only equipment that has movespeed reductions feels rather arbitrary, it matches my second goal and negates the third.

Don/Doff would slow down the ability for players to immediately gain the benefits of various equipment depending on the circumstance. For environmental dangers fire/space/gas there would be a minimum duration where a player is exposed without removing themselves from the area (if that is even possible). For combat situations the player is forced to commit to changing gear as their response with there being opportunity for the action to be interrupted by the attacker. Overall these changes mechanically favors the aggressor being able to choose an opportune time to strike.

EVA Gear is 3 pieces of worn gear, and one held. 8 interactions. That is the same as shoving 4 things in your backpack. I guess I just don’t quite understand your argument with respect to other actions.

Waiting for feedback that an action has been performed isn’t always as satisfying but I feel it can make the fruit taste that much sweeter. But I do have a bias towards games with animation priority.
I know I hate the rule in DnD where if you get attacked during camp and you dont have armor on it takes like 50 rounds to put on your armor again.