Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Add some neopronoun roles to Dynobot on the discord server
Rainbow 
It'd be relatively simple to add some common neopronouns to dynobot's list of self-assignable roles.

Some common ones from another server I'm in:

Ae/aer
Fae/faer
Shi/hir

I can't see any real reason not to include these roles since it would only take a few minutes to add them to the bot. Plus, I'm sure some of our members will be positively ecstatic to be able to use them.

Seems like a win-win to me
personally i think this is a great idea as i personally use neopronouns (xe/xem and fae/faer) and adding them to dyno or using a different bot such as Carl bot which has 250 slots for adding roles would be great if they dont want to fill up dyno with pronouns
stolen from bubs:

In addition to the common neopronouns, add a role like "pronouns: ask me!"
The important thing about neopronouns is they allow people to exercise their right to self identification. The typical pronouns we use are one for each side of the gender binary (she/her and he/him) and then one set for all the genders that are possible outside of that binary (they/them).

Obviously this doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for non-binary and gender nonconforming folks. A lot of them don't feel that they/them properly captures who they are while others are concerned with confusing people over the typical plural interpretation of they/them. Another reason too is that some folks come from places where their native language doesn't include gendered pronouns so they're more comfortable using the pronouns of their mother tongue.

Obviously this means that we'll need a fair few roles to pull this off. On this note I'd like to point out a great Discord bot that a lot of LGBTQ Discord servers use for this.

His name is Carl and he's adorable smilie with a protruding tongue
https://carl.gg/

Among many other things he allows up to 250 custom roles that can be applied via reacting to posts you set up with him. This way we won't have to fuss with Discord's default role system to make this work and we'll be able to add a lot more neopronouns than just 3. Since it's pretty unlikely for us to add 250 neopronouns this also means we'd have a ton of extra space for gimmick roles too : O

There's a lot of good stuff in there, I highly recommend giving it a look.
(04-12-2021, 05:57 AM)SpacingNevada Wrote: The important thing about neopronouns is they allow people to exercise their right to self identification. The typical pronouns we use are one for each side of the gender binary (she/her and he/him) and then one set for all the genders that are possible outside of that binary (they/them).

Obviously this doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for non-binary and gender nonconforming folks. A lot of them don't feel that they/them properly captures who they are while others are concerned with confusing people over the typical plural interpretation of they/them. Another reason too is that some folks come from places where their native language doesn't include gendered pronouns so they're more comfortable using the pronouns of their mother tongue.

Obviously this means that we'll need a fair few roles to pull this off. On this note I'd like to point out a great Discord bot that a lot of LGBTQ Discord servers use for this.

His name is Carl and he's adorable smilie with a protruding tongue
https://carl.gg/

Among many other things he allows up to 250 custom roles that can be applied via reacting to posts you set up with him. This way we won't have to fuss with Discord's default role system to make this work and we'll be able to add a lot more neopronouns than just 3. Since it's pretty unlikely for us to add 250 neopronouns this also means we'd have a ton of extra space for gimmick roles too : O

There's a lot of good stuff in there, I highly recommend giving it a look.

Carl-Bot would be pretty good for this, yeah. Much simpler to use for both Users & Admins than Dyno too.

In order to edit something, Admins can use a fully-functional GUI located on the website, rather than manually typing a command.

Adding a message for users to react to for a role is simple, all that's needed is a channel for the bot to post said messages, and roles for the bot to assign. Then you simply go on the website, select the server, scroll down to "Reaction Roles" and then click "Create New Reaction Role", from that point on its fairly self-explanatory what each box does.

If at some point you want to edit this message, a simple example would be:

Code:
!rr edit DiscordMessageIDHere Content of the edited message here

For Users, they simply have to reply with the corresponding reaction and the bot adds the role, rather then typing out a full command.
probably not adding another bot
Also, would it be possible to add a more diverse pronoun selection to the character creation screen?

Like, i can have a male character that uses "she/her" pronouns or an actually NB character? (as in one that doesn't just use the pronouns, and actually has no assigned or specific gender)
(04-13-2021, 07:04 AM)TheRealFlapJackson Wrote: Like, i can have a male character that uses "she/her" pronouns or an actually NB character? (as in one that doesn't just use the pronouns, and actually has no assigned or specific gender)

The former is already possible.

The latter... I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're asking for, would you mind elaborating or clarifying a bit?
Not using any pronouns as an option for text in-game would make for a bunch of awkward sentences at best and make them exceptionally longer at worst. You can use "they/them" already if you don't want male/female ones in-game. And like Camryn said, your character cna have a female body type with male pronouns or they/them, which you've been able to do for like 2 years.
(04-13-2021, 07:55 AM)Camryn Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 07:04 AM)TheRealFlapJackson Wrote: Like, i can have a male character that uses "she/her" pronouns or an actually NB character? 

The former is already possible.

(04-14-2021, 05:14 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: And like Camryn said, your character cna have a female body type with male pronouns or they/them, which you've been able to do for like 2 years.

I might just be stupid but I am trying to do that in the character creation screen but I can't.
I don't think that's true, you can just have male he/him, female she/her, male they/them, female they/them.
You can't have the opposite pronouns from the body type right now.

I don't understand why you'd want that personally, but I think just making the pronoun choice and body type choice two completely separate options would make more sense from a UI design standpoint anyway. 
Having to click through 4 options is annoying.
(04-14-2021, 05:14 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: Not using any pronouns as an option for text in-game would make for a bunch of awkward sentences at best and make them exceptionally longer at worst. You can use "they/them" already if you don't want male/female ones in-game. And like Camryn said, your character cna have a female body type with male pronouns or they/them, which you've been able to do for like 2 years.

pronouns are also coded in multiple different ways all over the code making use of anything from if then statements, to byond macros, to helper procs. Untangling and standardizing that rat's nest is a good amount of effort
(04-14-2021, 06:50 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I don't think that's true, you can just have male he/him, female she/her, male they/them, female they/them.
You can't have the opposite pronouns from the body type right now.

I don't understand why you'd want that personally, but I think just making the pronoun choice and body type choice two completely separate options would make more sense from a UI design standpoint anyway. 
Having to click through 4 options is annoying.

Maybe it broke at some point?

It definitely *used* to be a thing
Yeah, IIRC i was making a character and the only options i could make were a cis male or female character or an NB male or female character.
Is there a visible difference between the male and female body sprites?  I thought they were identical and you did everything with hair/pronoun/scream voice.