Saren Midden's Second HoS Application
Usual character name: Saren Midden
BYOND username: Is_Dog_Hour
Discord username (if you are on our discord): 
Is_Dog_Hour
Goon servers you play: Morty/Sylvester

Reason for application:

Security is my favourite role and most likely is the role I have spent most of my time with on Goonstation. I play at an interesting time, as I watch a packed station swap from being busy to slow. At the slowest times, security usually only has 1 to 2 officers at a time and a Head of Security is a very rare occurrence. As HoS, I would be able to bring some support and guidance to officers working the night shift whether they be new or older players.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I joined Goonstation alongside the large influx of new players back in August. Very quickly I started playing security in an effort to try out as many roles as I could and then found myself playing security for a decent chunk of the time I spent kicking about.

My first few experiences as a security officer came during the time where the game mode was kept to extended. With that, I had lots of time to learn the basics of being a security officer. From there I would pick up some of the finer details of the role, such as how to handle antagonists and other situations, from more experienced players. Getting to see both low population and high population rounds was quite interesting. During peak times, a full security team makes all the difference and will determine whether someone has a fulfilling time. With lower populations, one or two security officers are a welcoming sight as they can lend a hand and should step up to do what is needed across the station.

My opinion on the role of security is to ensure people find enjoyment in what they spend their time doing, whether they be a hardworking station member or an actual criminal. I have a good knowledge of what is wanted from a security officer on the RP server, having the drive to work with other crew makes for a way more enjoyable experience not only for others but you as well. I found out quite early on that chasing down and brigging criminals may be fun but misses the most enjoyable aspect of roleplay in general.

Over time, I have developed a decent sense of how crimes should be handled. Light crimes such as graffiti, or “accidentally” trespassing should be met with tickets. This I apply to most things that do not harm the experiences of others and I see it as an opportunity to work on my ticket skills. Getting some laughs from a well-written ticket is always an enjoyable experience. Worse crimes should be met with brig time and maybe slight demotion. Any punishment beyond that should be avoided at all costs, generally because they are a quick way to ruin someone’s round.

Having played a lot of security, I have set myself how I want to deal with situations and interactions. First and foremost, an officer should be a friendly approachable figure who can be turned to whatever the situation may be. It is way easier dealing with the crew if they see you as a decent character who can be trusted to do the right thing. Then when responding to a situation, my actions should be appropriate to what is currently happening. This comes down to either talking with the perp and trying to establish some kind of rapport with them or a quick de-escalation should they be harming the crew or be a direct threat at the time. Finally, talk through the issue either at the scene for less serious situations or back at security.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
You are playing a game, so enjoy yourself. Do not stress over rounds that are going poorly or if dealing with your local antag is driving you insane. Instead, go take a break for a few minutes or a round or two. When you come back, I guarantee you are more likely to enjoy your time, and this will improve others time as well.

• What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
An interesting moment from RP came from the devious destruction of the supply depot. One shift, cargo began receiving syndicate naval mines, which they decided to ship out. After the blame was shifted around a few times, the cargo staff decided to flee the station which called on a response from NanoTrasen.
Accompanied by an NTSO sent to investigate who was responsible, I, the Captain and the NTSO travelled to the space diner in search of two quartermasters and a miner. Instead, we were greeted by a ska band in deep space. Two words come to mind in this situation, ridiculous and suspicious. What made things worse was the rotting corpses of the diner patrons poorly hidden in a back room, conveniently covered in the band’s fingerprints.
After I made the poor decision to look for meds to treat a sick band member, the band fled into deep space. Never to be seen again…
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
While I do like the position security is in currently, I do think that there should be more encouragement to fully utilise secmate. At the moment, using it boils down to radio in a perp and their crimes, then mark for arrest. I find myself only using the other rows for my own satisfaction. Stemming from some ideas thrown about in the recent discussion about the role of security on RP, tying in secmate with the brig options could be interesting. Having the timer connected to the crimes listed in secmate could be a decent incentive to use some of the other functions more regularly. For example, brig use in CM requires a docket from a PC in order for the brig to function, something more akin to this may be useful in better administration.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
A sticky, green slime,
Ready with a flash.
Watching out for crime,
Coming in with a splash.
Crime Slime!
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
The one gimmick I have always wanted to successfully do would be a decent undercover RP. Mastering the art of disguise, capably of fitting into any job role and successfully blending in, feeding information to fellow officers to orchestrate a masterful arrest of a dangerous perp. Unfortunately, my one attempt ended up in disaster as my co-worker was a spy with a bounty on my arm…
  • Draw a picture!
Crime!
[Image: PtPTpMWAFRYWLFjQDlZYWLBgQTtYYWHBggXtYIWF...5WWFiw.png]
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): N/A
+1. Have really missed seeing Saren on Security, but every time I do, it's really a joy. You are thorough, commited to RP, and very giving for antags. I really have no doubts at all about your ability to perform Security work fairly and kindly for others. You talk a lot, muse out loud on comms, and don't go for tasing right away. I've seen you de-escalate and use tools like flashes and tickets where you can and admire that you do try to have everyone get along.

I remember a round on Manta in particular where I think, after a long break of not seeing you, I was AI and really got to see the best of you on Sec, taking charge, leading comms, investigating everything, and of course, making fashion statements in the blue Hawaiian shirt. Saren does still register in my mind as a quiet personality, not that you don't talk, but that I think the way you do talk and lead is a subtler, resolutionist approach. I actually would think that you having HoS permissions would really allow you to flourish in that regard and would be interested in seeing your style of Security leading the department--again, fair, but kind.

Very adorable drawing! Glad to see you again. I think you've really grown confident in your abilities from the Fall and are a fearless and decisive leader for Sec teams when it comes down to the wire. I'd look forward to seeing you in an upfront Command role.
Saren is always fantastic in Sec. Competent, treats antags properly, dependable for communication, goes out of their way to help the station/its crew. Super reliable and dependable, all while being pleasant to interact with.

Been months of working with Saren and thoroughly believe they'd do the beret proud.

+1

(P.S. - Cutest drawing I've seen on an app)
No from me. They are the type of officer to sprint around station looking for antags to interact with rather than normal crewmembers as to be "the hero" which is my biggest petpeeve with any officer. They recently had a round where, as a sec officer, they decided to go through the process of becoming a slime in around twenty minutes with next to no roleplay. Which I frown upon.

As HoS it is expected you lead by example. Your current example is metarushing to azones so you can achieve your goals. You should know better than to do stuff like that as an officer on the Roleplay servers. -1
Hey, we really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be August 26. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!

(also agreed, very cute drawing)