Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PR] Increases price of CSaber from 18 to 35 materials.
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE]
**PLEASE DO NOT SHANK ME. I WAS BRIBED BY `Mystic Midgit#6020` TO DO THIS, I HAVE NO OPINIONS ON THIS MATTER.**

About the PR
Increases the materials price of the Cyalume caber to 35, as opposed to 18.
For comparison, the crusher is set to 20, and industrial mining armour is set to 45.

Why's this needed?
"To hopefully make it harder to mass produce c sabers and hold off the greytide that normally follows after said c sabers are mass produced"

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Mystic_Midgit
(*)The Cyalume Saber now costs 35 materials, as opposed to its usual 18.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
While sure some things have horrible costs, it's not the total mat cost that really hinders anyone, it's when it started requiring harder to get mats, generally only gotten from mining that you stop people. Sure you can make sabers 35 total of each base starter mat, but that's nothing if they're actively being supplied mats through cargo anyhow. That said I also don't know how I feel about making sabers require harder to get mats. As it is you have to have said saber and a syndie analyzer, and 9 out of 10 times you can pretty easily pin point who the traitor is that scanned it.

That aside I would also like to propose that crushers get more attention for mat requirements, because as is they are incredibly piss easy to make and are far more round ending for someone than a saber. Maybe have them require bohrum and uqill to craft due to the crusher's strength and ability to grind down anything.
(04-06-2021, 11:44 AM)Drago156 Wrote: That aside I would also like to propose that crushers get more attention for mat requirements, because as is they are incredibly piss easy to make and are far more round ending for someone than a saber. Maybe have them require bohrum and uqill to craft due to the crusher's strength and ability to grind down anything.

Yea if anything CSabers are a lot more mundane then crusher spam. As Drago said, theyre piss easy to make and if used correctly can wipe out a station faster and easier then a csaber. Crushers should require dense metal so you dont end up with tons of them in hallways near round start. Crushers gib people, which takes them out for the entire round.
I'd kind of like to see crushers set up as at least two parts: Such as a frame and rollers. Making it take longer to setup one way or another would help slow down the spam and hopefully catch them in the act.
I think this change is a bit silly, it doesn't actually really achieve what it sets out to (anybody mass producing sabers is going to produce a very large amount of materials for it anyways, whether or not you can make 100 sabers or 200 is really insignificant) and theres other traitor items that are similarly dangerous that aren't affected (wrestlebelts and cloaks come to mind, powersinks too). Scanning c-sabers is one of the more creative uses of the *c-saber* and I don't see why we should disincentive people from using a fairly uninteresting item in a cool way.

In summary I think the change is ineffective at accomplishing what it sets out to do, and what it sets out to do is bad for the game anyways. It's also not particularly consistent with other items behavior
If you want to make scannable items harder to spam it's far better to change them to require rarer materials (high energy conductor is a nice one, since it both makes sense for many things and isn't immediately available on the station) rather than simply more materials.  The latter is trivially easy to overcome, the former takes a bit more effort, but with a few exceptions (coughcloningpodscough) it's not a particularly frustrating amount of effort.
C-Saber and Scanner leaves you with enough points to get a sweet mustache or requires cooperation with another person with points to burn.  I think they should be rewarded for that, especially if you are going out of your way for the Scanner.

I think at least High Density Crystalline Matter for C-Saber and agree Sturdy Metal for Crushers fits thematically while still being fairly abundant so it would shift when proliferation of the items would occur in the round.  Such a change should probably include pass on all other relevant items.

If you want to be able to catch them in the act maybe Frame construction time should be a function of materials and/or effort to deconstruct.

Ultimately I think I'm with Flaborized on this one through.