Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bring back antag weighting
(With a few changes)
Basically, ive seen myself, and a quite a few others go literal days without getting a antag, due to the highpops. This kinda really sucks for the person.
With a few changes, i think the system could work.

First off, make it reset extra antag chance apon rolling antag.
This mostly should prevent getting antag 3 rounds in a row or similar, and if thats not enough to prevent it, then prevent the person from rolling antag for the next 2 rounds after the antag round

Secondly, you shouldnt be able to "farm" antag chance, by going rounds without antag on.
Make it so you have to have atleast 3 main antags (Main antags being, Traitor, Ling, Wizard, Vamp, and nukies) enabled to get a increased chance per round,

Finally, make the chance gain fairly low.
something like 0.01 per shift without antag, or 0.001

Should probally also not be on RP servers, just goon1/2
This seems to resolve some of the issues that people had with antag weighting, so I definitely think this could be seriously considered and I'd advise people to not just brush this off due to the bad history antag weighting has had. However, I'm not going to say anything more in support or denial of this due to my general inexperience with this sort of thing.
I think this is a pretty good adjustment to the system.

Players with extremely high round counts don't benefit from the system because it's desired around losing streaks instead of overall averages. Since people with huge losing streaks are more likely to roll antag then get punted to the bottom, you'd probably roll antag relatively consistently which could be powergamed, but ultimately new players wouldn't be disadvantaged because you'd have to be pretty legendarily unlucky to hit any larger losing streaks- and by the time you 'win', you get punted down again and stop adjusting the weight against new players. Brand new players start out low so they might take a few rounds for their first 'win' but that's probably a good thing, anyway.
I'm wondering if nukies should circumvent the reset mechanics in a weighted system. Those rounds can be awfully short and you are so heavily dependent on the randomness of plant locations, quality of teammates and server population.

Getting an 85 minute round as a traitor/ling just feels weightier than a potentially 10 minute round as one member of a nukie squad.
I like this. Since I play infrequently I sometimes can go weeks w/o playing antag
I am 110% on board with these changes and bringing weighting back. I personally have gone weeks without rolling antag, despite playing any where from 2-6 rounds each day, and it sucked. I would absolutely enjoy knowing that it's not just entirely random despite X getting antag constantly while I'm sitting at 15+ rounds without antag.
I support this and any idea that gives people who want to play antag, a better shot at getting antag.

I think I only got antag like 5 times in the entire month of march, playing at least 1-2 rounds daily.
I don't know if anything will feel "right" when the pop is high. With 70~ players you are still looking at 14 rounds assuming 5 antags (not sure what it is in practice with the variable numbers between modes) and everyone getting one go. Play four rounds each day, that's still 4 days until you go. The numbers are just kinda oof.
Wanted to throw up a link to a good discussion on the topic by Singh: https://discord.com/channels/18224996089...2306447360

Some combination of reducing weight for N rounds after antag has been rolled and also increasing weight as you do not get antag, as others have suggested, would help with spreading the roles around.

There is also a different intrinsic value of being an antagonist depending on what server you are playing on. There seems like a definite avenue in which the system could be manipulated. 

As Katzen said, adjusting the weighting isn’t going to solve the problem of never getting to be an antag for higher player counts though.  That seems like something that would be handled by sleeper agents, hard-mode traitors, or the like where you have an opportunity to be a minor force in pushing the round forward but preferably not eclipsing the main antagonists.  That seems like a different discussion of whether or not high-pop needs more forces to push the round forward.
(04-02-2021, 06:36 PM)Boxta Wrote: (With a few changes)
Basically, ive seen myself, and a quite a few others go literal days without getting a antag, due to the highpops. This kinda really sucks for the person.
With a few changes, i think the system could work.

First off, make it reset extra antag chance apon rolling antag.
This mostly should prevent getting antag 3 rounds in a row or similar, and if thats not enough to prevent it, then prevent the person from rolling antag for the next 2 rounds after the antag round

Secondly, you shouldnt be able to "farm" antag chance, by going rounds without antag on.
Make it so you have to have atleast 3 main antags (Main antags being, Traitor, Ling, Wizard, Vamp, and nukies) enabled to get a increased chance per round,

Finally, make the chance gain fairly low.
something like 0.01 per shift without antag, or 0.001

Should probally also not be on RP servers, just goon1/2
This is just a quick comment on it but like ikr, I've literally gone like weeks without getting antags even when I played every day, this could add some better weighting, nottaking a side, just adding my quick thought