Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
borg force shield upgrade needs changes
Right now it's a trivially easy to get upgrade that functions as a hard counter to nukeops, and the sprite updating bug means that most of the time it's impossible for anyone but the borg to tell if it's active or not.  Maybe require something other than the most common materials around to manufacture?
Just the fact that the borg model doesn't update unless it changes clothes or loses a limb, and as such the shield also doesn't update, is a big issue. I shot myself in the face with a spes-6 today because a borg was running in front of me farting without any fear at all because it had its shield up. And obviously no model to tell me that that was also the case.

I'm not sure whats required to make it, but currently expansion slots require Uqill/Diamond and Cerenkite/Erebite. On Oshan this is painfully easy to do, on spacediner maps it can take an extra five to ten minutes based on RNG.

The shield is very good as a survival mechanic, but the fact that it also reflects shots for free with zero setup on the borgs part is very overpowered. Even c-Sabers need to block. Borgs just need to passively stand in the way and watch as that brand new Heavy LMG nuke op literally kills themselves because the borgs shield is up, not showing, and is impossible to take down.
why not just subvert/killswitch the borgs? its been a while since i played nu-nuke ops but you can always just work a little stealth into your strategy
I don't think sidestepping the problem SOLVES the problem, just puts it into someone's lap. Borg shield sprites have been bugged for a bit now I'm guessing which is awful on its own but borg shields definitely had a point in the past where THEY DIDN'T REFLECT BULLETS, so I'm not certain when that change happened or even WHY but IMO that should be changed almost indefinitely at the minimum.

EDIT: I also think borg shield should be split between energy and brute if it isn't already. I can't remember if that's the case already. Either way I also think the borg should only be able to maintain one shield or the other and not both.
I'd almost say that installing this upgrade oughta just give the borg something closer to the Sec Barrier.

Turn it on, have brute damage resistance buffed, but then also deploy the barrier energy field in front of you.
(04-01-2021, 10:20 PM)Drago156 Wrote: I don't think sidestepping the problem SOLVES the problem, just puts it into someone's lap. Borg shield sprites have been bugged for a bit now I'm guessing which is awful on its own but borg shields definitely had a point in the past where THEY DIDN'T REFLECT BULLETS, so I'm not certain when that change happened or even WHY but IMO that should be changed almost indefinitely at the minimum.

EDIT: I also think borg shield should be split between energy and brute if it isn't already. I can't remember if that's the case already. Either way I also think the borg should only be able to maintain one shield or the other and not both.

im not saying dont fix the sprites, im just saying that the problem of borgs reflecting bullets back at you can be avoided

im generally also against borg nerfs since im biased and generally play as one since most of the time we dont have it easy
whichever coder made borg forceshields reflect projectiles without ever putting it in the changelog should be subjected to 100 swirlies.
Why would borg shields reflect projectiles? Seems OP.
Borg shields should protect them from lasers and bullets but also drain their batteries by a good amount each time they get shot at.
(04-04-2021, 08:22 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Why would borg shields reflect projectiles? Seems OP.
Borg shields should protect them from lasers and bullets but also drain their batteries by a good amount each time they get shot at.

As far as I know they do do that already, while under sustained fire the power cost constantly increases. The intent was for people to be able to overwhelm borg shields like that.
It's just that projectiles are reflected as well, which would make it quite hard to keep shooting at a borg.
(04-05-2021, 03:07 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 08:22 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Why would borg shields reflect projectiles? Seems OP.

As far as I know they do do that already, while under sustained fire the power cost constantly increases. The intent was for people to be able to overwhelm borg shields like that.
It's just that projectiles are reflected as well, which would make it quite hard to keep shooting at a borg.
What if they were DEflected instead, ricocheting in a random direction away from the shooter most of the time.
Agree, when I saw it was changed to include reflect I thought that would be OP. This means that you actively want to avoid shooting the borg shield despite it's shield being drained significantly faster by being hit...

Deflect or absorb. I don't think we get anything out of deflect other than it being more obvious the borg has not been "hit" but the shield effect should already make that clear.
You know, now that I think about it, as long as it reflects projectiles using a force shield or heat shield is skirting awfully close to a law 1 violation on default laws.

But really, just remove the reflection from the responses to this thread it seems there aren't really many people who actually think that the reflection is a good thing.