Mentor Application: Mr. Melonbake
Winterous Wrote:It's always interesting to hear other people's perspective of your behaviour.

That's a thing you just said.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
Winterous Wrote:It's always interesting to hear other people's perspective of your behaviour.

That's a thing you just said.
Yes, yes it is. I haven't been saying that it's uninteresting to hear other people's perspectives, I've just been correcting people's mistaken interpretations of my behaviour.

Please stop clogging up this thread, you've given your opinion and there's no point in continuing to argue, or smear, slander, or whatever it is you're intending to do.
My perspective of your behavior is that you're a massive rules lawyering scrublord. I feel like you'll use the position of mentor to get more leverage in your rules lawyer exploits.
I second the fact that it seems like a bad idea to let a self proclaimed autistic, rules lawyering dork run around with some sort of authority and a gun.
bubs Wrote:I second the fact that it seems like a bad idea to let a self proclaimed autistic, rules lawyering dork run around with some sort of authority and a gun.

This isn't a hos application.

I'm going to go ahead and say yes to this. I believe what happened in that admin complaint thread went a bit ugly too quickly for my liking and I feel it shouldn't really impact on people's decisions on your mentor application.
You made a rule brainfart. Well ok.
Would you make a good mentor? From what I seen yes.
You're right, I thought it was a hos application, I can't read.

In that case I don't really care.
Mentor? Sure. Sure I'll go with mentor.
he seems knowledgeable enough to be a mentor which is the important thing. i doubt he'll do anything shitty or stupid with it since there's not much you really can do wrong. i'll give him a yes.
Hokie Wrote:My perspective of your behavior is that you're a massive rules lawyering scrublord. I feel like you'll use the position of mentor to get more leverage in your rules lawyer exploits.
How would one even do that?

I vote yes. He knows his stuff and that he made one small error in judgment should not stop him from being a mentor. Perhaps those voting no should review the mentor roster again? There are far worse offenders already mentoring.
I once did a terrible thing right before my mentor app that had the same punishment: a week long job ban contingent on me not being terrible.

I got accepted.

I'll say yes, you are pretty knowledgeable and you're not irredeemably terrible; and personally, I think your punishment was a little too much for the crime anyways.

That said, a word of advice: don't try to pretend that rules lawyering is a condition bordering on making you feel discriminated against, and especially don't compare it to racism. I naturally rules lawyer, too, but if I can make the choice not to be a jerk, so can you.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:That said, a word of advice: don't try to pretend that rules lawyering is a condition bordering on making you feel discriminated against, and especially don't compare it to racism. I naturally rules lawyer, too, but if I can make the choice not to be a jerk, so can you.
I fumbled how I said that terribly.
I meant to convey that to some (or most) people it may seem like rules lawyering, but to me it's just regular analysis and understanding.
The claim of it feeling like discrimination was because someone was suggesting that I'm some sort of malevolent, griefing shitbag because I was debating the wording of Law 1 rather than the spirit, when that's something that I do innately and can be very hard to control; it was an extreme (and in hindsight fucking stupid) comparison in response to quite hurtful accusations.

Anyway I expect this thread will probably be closed soon, so I'd like to thank all those applicable for their kind words and support.
Winterous Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:That said, a word of advice: don't try to pretend that rules lawyering is a condition bordering on making you feel discriminated against, and especially don't compare it to racism. I naturally rules lawyer, too, but if I can make the choice not to be a jerk, so can you.
I fumbled how I said that terribly.
I meant to convey that to some (or most) people it may seem like rules lawyering, but to me it's just regular analysis and understanding.
The claim of it feeling like discrimination was because someone was suggesting that I'm some sort of malevolent, griefing shitbag because I was debating the wording of Law 1 rather than the spirit, when that's something that I do innately and can be very hard to control; it was an extreme (and in hindsight fucking stupid) comparison in response to quite hurtful accusations..
This was how I took it, it was over-the-top and really pretty dumb, but everyone says stupid shit in the context of arguments like that. There's a world of difference between that and, like, claiming in normal conversation that you understand the plight of black people because it's just like your struggle. Honestly, it's regrettable and dumb, but it's not really something to get that mad at and it certainly shouldn't ruin an application to be a purple advice-giver man
What he did was stupid, but we all have our moments of immense shittiness through our lives. Making mistakes is normal. It does not change the fact that ingame he's a fun dude who helps people when they need it. Although I haven't really seen him outside of science, I'm going to say yes if my opinion counts for anything.
I've never had a bad round with Melonbake, he's always been helpful.
Now I went and read up on the borg nonsense just to see what everyone was bitching about and... while yes I can see how he fucked up, I personally would have handled it differently, considering the laws are confusing I'm not sure it should have escalated to what it did but whatever it's not important.
As long as he's not revealing secrets I don't see the harm in having him as a mentor.
And hell people learn from their mistakes, don't they?
I've played one or two rounds with you dude, and you seemed really nice - but you always assume people don't know as much as you and that's sorta annoying. Regardless of that, I think you'd be a pretty good mentor.