Mentor Application: Mr. Melonbake
Usual Character Name: Mr. Melonbake ; Mr. Melonborg / Mr. Melonlord when a borg / AI.
BYOND Username: Winterous
Recommended by (if applicable): Not recommended by anybody, but I think that Marquesas and Readster might have input on this.
Times Available: I'm GMT+10, and I'm often online in the time spanning 7pm-5am.

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum): I've been playing the game for a while now, probably around a year all up.
I know quite a lot about how the game works, most notably chemistry, and the thing I enjoy most in this game is teaming up with one or a few people and trying to learn new things or simply cooperate to achieve fun goals. I really like learning from other people and helping others to learn, and just dicking around blowing myself up trying to have fun.

I try really hard to avoid spoiling the fun of others, like gibbing their corpses or griffing people too much, sometimes I can be an annoying shit when I pull out the space lube, but I'm usually quite tame.

I don't know what else to put here, I don't really remember many exceptional things I was involved with (except that one time an admin trolled me while I was trying to make RPGs, didn't find out it was a troll for ages, laughed my ass off); but I fairly frequently have adventures with people, like breaking into the listening post using a hand teleporter, going nuts with a flamethrower as a mindslave, etc..

I suck at traitor though, I usually don't do much at all, I'm a boring as hell tater and I am great shame every time I spend the entire round preparing for nothing in particular.

I just figure that I've reached a point where I fit the criteria of what a mentor is supposed to be, and that I fairly regularly find myself doing what a mentor is supposed to do.

This is probably under 300 words but I've never been able to flesh things out very well, and I am genuinely stretching at this point; I automatically keep things rather concise, I can't really control it.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): Shrek is a smelly cluwne, he should shower once in a while.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): I don't actually remember ever being banned, but I get the vague feeling that I was once banned for a week, back when I was still pretty new.
I, Redbeard Rum, the Magnificent, recommend this guy.

I have noticed that he's far more forthcoming with useful information than most people who're already mentors, but not to the point of ruining secrets, which I believe to be the most important thing for a mentor.
Naming people in referrals without asking them about it first is quite a gamble. Fortunately, I would recommend you for mentor.
Oh I didn't mean to say that you two would necessarily approve, you're just two mentors who I'm pretty familiar with and so I mentioned you might have an opinion on the matter.
Yeah this guy knows what he's doing and I've seen him around a bit. I say yes.
A pretty fun dude. If you know what to do I'll say yes.
I've played countless rounds with this guy as a chemist and he seems very well versed in science. Sadly I haven't seen him in many other fields (subject of my own ignorance), but I'll give the benefit of the doubt here and say this man has what it takes to be a mentor.
I say yes indeed,hes a cool guy and has the knowledge for a good mentor
I'm on the fence about this as your recent slip up as a borg and your attempt to find AI law loopholes kinda makes me lean more towards a thumbs down, however if you redeem yourself over the next week or so I will endorse you.
TheRedScare Wrote:I'm on the fence about this as your recent slip up as a borg and your attempt to find AI law loopholes kinda makes me lean more towards a thumbs down, however if you redeem yourself over the next week or so I will endorse you.

So people know what he's talking about, here's the thread that explains it.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1963
Basically as a borg I stopped rescuing a guy (because I realised he was a traitor) and left him in almost the same place he already was, and an admin disagreed with me about what Law 1 considers to be causing harm.
No, as you're willing to rules lawyer and then say "You're doing the same thing as racism to me" when you get yelled at for it. That is -not- a quality we need in a mentor.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:No, as you're willing to rules lawyer and then say "You're doing the same thing as racism to me" when you get yelled at for it. That is -not- a quality we need in a mentor.
You clearly haven't payed much attention to that thread, or you've just taken everything I've said as a lie.
Even with the borg law mishap, I would recommend this guy for mentorship. The circumstances of his jobban are in the grey area, and I feel his intentions were not malicious there. I could see myself making the same mistake that he did.
Wydamn Wrote:Even with the borg law mishap, I would recommend this guy for mentorship. The circumstances of his jobban are in the grey area, and I feel his intentions were not malicious there. I could see myself making the same mistake that he did.
It's not the mistake he made that has me saying no. I can see where he made the error. It's the fact that he's being so fucking idiotic about it by claiming that saying he's trying to rules lawyer when he was clearly told by an admin that he did wrong is in any way similar to racism. He's saying "You're punishing me because I'm overanalytical because I'm Autistic" which is shitty and not something any mentor should ever do.
That would make me say no if he was applying for HoS, because it does throw his ability to conduct himself in heated situations into question, but it's not like being a mentor is going to put you in situations like that where you have to make snap judgements about how to actively act. At worst, someone asks you something that sounds a bit too meta or something and you have to say "sorry, can't really divulge anything about that in mentorhelp".

I'm going to say yes. Melonbake knows his shit and has never been a problem to play with in my experience.