Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Mentor Application - Wrench-1 (Maverick Sabre)
Usual character name: Maverick Sabre
BYOND username: Wrench-1
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Wrench#8934
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Sylvester

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

Been playing SS13 since around August 2020 where I joined as part of the Tomato Tide. Since then, I've put a lot of energy into learning the many different roles that Goonstation offers, so I would consider myself to be knowledgeable of all jobs to a point where I can comfortably teach new players enough of each to set them on their way, so they can begin experimenting with the games core mechanics and jobs, and delving deeper into the Fun Zone! The first few rounds can be an utter slog, and becoming a Mentor if anything will help me ease that slog for a bunch of new players, and get them welcomed into the wider community much faster. While I have all around knowledge, I would consider Security as being my strongest department with Medical following behind at second place, with jobs like Bartender being a solid standalone job I've put a lot of effort into.

As a HoS, and even before becoming a HoS, I actively make an effort to teach new Sec Officers the ropes, such as use of SecMate, general use of force and escalation, how to use the brig, etc. I will sit down with any new officer at the start of a round and give them a rundown of Secmate, provide examples of how to set people to arrest and modify records, along with searching for records via Fingerprint IDs before assigning them to the desk. Naturally, I don't expect them to sit there all shift, so if given an opportunity I will encourage them to take action and head out on patrol with another officer, or with me. By shift end, I'm hoping I've done a good enough job that they will pick Sec again next round, which is always great to see! Shows that they're willing to keep learning the job and that they enjoy it.

To give a non-Sec example, I believe that Bartenders are the job that most new players will interact with on their first time stepping foot on the station simply because a role of a Bartender is immediately understood at face value. Plenty of times playing Bartender I have had new players come in, ask for a drink, ask for directions, or just hang around and chat, and I always aim to provide them with a welcoming experience, as a pseudo way of saying, "Welcome to SS13!" Being that welcoming presence and someone that new players can comfortably interact with, as first moments on the station can cause some serious anxiety, (I know from experience) is definitely really important when it comes to Mentoring. You not only want to teach the player, but you also want the player to come back and become part of the wider community! I aim to be that welcoming presence for new players.

Overall, I do enjoy teaching others in this game, if mainly for the satisfaction of seeing them a few days or weeks down the line experimenting with different jobs, or perfecting their chosen job. I love this game, and I want to see this community grow with more passionate and fun players so we can all have more memorable experiences telling our silly little collaborative stories, or dying horribly in a plasma fire that. Both are part of the beast that is SS13.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I have not had any prior bans.
no.

you've ignored me pretty consistently on sec for 4 months now and my only interactions with you there have been you brushing me aside in an admin gimmick round when the devil called and asked for you specifically because of some longer-running thing i latejoined into. prior to that, when you were in hell with the captain, when our leadership was all gone and the ai was acting oddly, you did not respond to my numerous requests on PDA and gen comms to say if you were alive and okay, because i was given the impression you were trapped and dying. you have, at least twice, ignored my PDA messages when i join into a round announcing i have an auditory and ignored me responding to calls and saying i had them covered when other crew talked over gen comms. i would hear something from crew, say i was covering it in gen comms, go there, then have you run in and shove me aside. the BEST part is after all of these where you'd ask me why i'm not using sec radio when. i say why. every single round i start. it is the FIRST thing i do, every round; i use pda if im on sec to alert my team when i am still in arrivals; i say a general hello overgeneral comms when im not and acknowledge the ai if they're there. this has happened numerous times. i avoid playing security when you are there now because it makes me miserable.

you have metabuds, and that's fine and cool, but not when you let them do strange (?) things like having non-cleared no-access staffies hang around within secure areas like sechq, have access to other secure things like frequencies, and be nuisances and pick on other secoffs when we're about and trying to do our roles. i have, when you were hos, kicked these people out of hq because it's annoying and frustrating when im trying to process arrests to have bystanders intervening and trying to draw attention and get in the way because they have the belief that since they're buds with the hos, this is fine and acceptable to impress on everyone else on the hos's team too. it isn't. it's incredibly poor judgement and read on your non-metabud team here. if im not playing within those bounds, i might as well be chopped liver because i very clearly dont matter in these moments, to my boss, to like, the one person i might imagine i should matter to.

i've had experiences when you've arrested me without talking as soon as i joined with jailbird, forced your team to act immediately hostile towards antags on rp BECAUSE they were antags, not for anything they had really done. you hold a mentality of "freidnly antags are boring" and vigorously and relentlessly impress The One Way To Play upon everyone else, and my rounds and quality of my rounds, as an antag, as a crew, and as sec, have all suffered for it. you've shown some very minimal patience in processing antags and crew that, though they were in the wrong and being rude, had done very little in the way of actual harm. i have seen you borg non-rulesbreaking but malicious antags who did attack people but never murdered or intended to murder anyone, people who were vampires that would drain victims then leave them visible and in the halls, alive, but for people to find. i've honestly been disappointed as ever with your performance on sec since you got hos. your actions have been mostly bad. you express little patience for other players' rp, especially when it's not to the letter of your likings.

perhaps most important of all is some ooc comments you made in february after a round on clarion where you were a sleeper and decided to, without escalation, blow up sec because you thought they had been overly hostile and bad at their work towards other players (re: not you, not your escalation); an action which ended the round for EVERYONE at 70 minutes in; the following round after had a 15 player drop in population. you then explained that this was okay for you to do because "I'm the real hero of that round, btw; Bombing Sec and getting a shuttle call; Ez win" (2/01/21), "The escalation was Sec's actions to the crew for the entire shift", that everyone was "bomb adverse" and that's why we were unhappy with it, and that "What you think I'm gonna just bomb Sec as non-antag when I'm HoS whitelisted?".

OTHER HOS PLAYERS called you out on you using your hos whitelist permissions as a chip or excuse for why you, personally, you, especially, you, above all people, thought you were allowed to do no-escalation rules-flaunting bombings and end rounds prematurely for 50+ people. you were not a hos that round, you were a scientist. but moreover, even though whitelist is a tremendous privilege and an important role for anyone in the community to fulfill to ensure better movement of rounds, it doesn't put your player experience miraculously above everyone else's. i cannot fathom if that's your approach to hos, to put yourself above everyone else, to SEE security doing the precise things that YOU ooc/meta-wise are meant to help stop and decide instead of doing anything instructional, loocing them with the pretense "hey i'm whitelisted, this is uncool and im willing to help nudge you in the right direction", starting a petition against them on station, trying to connect with the antags or other crew they had harmed to get statements and start a bigger venture; what effect mentorship will have on your beliefs of what your role is in the community. from your experience on this other whitelisted role, i cant see it doing anything other than making you think you're at an even higher level than other players on rp, allowed to do egregious garbage and flauntmore rules like that clarion round or the vampire, and allowed to impress, with the full force of weight of representing goon behind your words, that cerain antagonist styles are bad and useless and awful and the people playing that way should feel bad about playing that way.

i see "apply after 3 months" for whitelist roles as a best-case-scenario, since mentors and hoses should have good records of performance and personalities as well as just the 3 months of persistence in the community. i think it's possible to go from bad to good, but there has to be a consistency of that goodness. so i wouldn't even begin to reconsider an app from you until 3 months from now because you have had a consistency and history of un-goodness that i think is remarkably counter to what mentors should aspire to.

i strongly do not recommend you for mentor. get a better tracking record for at least 3 months and move some mountains; maybe i'd give it a chance then.
(03-30-2021, 12:26 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: no.

you've ignored me pretty consistently on sec for 4 months now and my only interactions with you there have been you brushing me aside in an admin gimmick round when the devil called and asked for you specifically because of some longer-running thing i latejoined into. prior to that, when you were in hell with the captain, when our leadership was all gone and the ai was acting oddly, you did not respond to my numerous requests on PDA and gen comms to say if you were alive and okay, because i was given the impression you were trapped and dying. you have, at least twice, ignored my PDA messages when i join into a round announcing i have an auditory and ignored me responding to calls and saying i had them covered when other crew talked over gen comms. i would hear something from crew, say i was covering it in gen comms, go there, then have you run in and shove me aside. the BEST part is after all of these where you'd ask me why i'm not using sec radio when. i say why. every single round i start. it is the FIRST thing i do, every round; i use pda if im on sec to alert my team when i am still in arrivals; i say a general hello overgeneral comms when im not and acknowledge the ai if they're there. this has happened numerous times. i avoid playing security when you are there now because it makes me miserable.

you have metabuds, and that's fine and cool, but not when you let them do strange (?) things like having non-cleared no-access staffies hang around within secure areas like sechq, have access to other secure things like frequencies, and be nuisances and pick on other secoffs when we're about and trying to do our roles. i have, when you were hos, kicked these people out of hq because it's annoying and frustrating when im trying to process arrests to have bystanders intervening and trying to draw attention and get in the way because they have the belief that since they're buds with the hos, this is fine and acceptable to impress on everyone else on the hos's team too. it isn't. it's incredibly poor judgement and read on your non-metabud team here. if im not playing within those bounds, i might as well be chopped liver because i very clearly dont matter in these moments, to my boss, to like, the one person i might imagine i should matter to.

i've had experiences when you've arrested me without talking as soon as i joined with jailbird, forced your team to act immediately hostile towards antags on rp BECAUSE they were antags, not for anything they had really done. you hold a mentality of "freidnly antags are boring" and vigorously and relentlessly impress The One Way To Play upon everyone else, and my rounds and quality of my rounds, as an antag, as a crew, and as sec, have all suffered for it. you've shown some very minimal patience in processing antags and crew that, though they were in the wrong and being rude, had done very little in the way of actual harm. i have seen you borg non-rulesbreaking but malicious antags who did attack people but never murdered or intended to murder anyone, people who were vampires that would drain victims then leave them visible and in the halls, alive, but for people to find. i've honestly been disappointed as ever with your performance on sec since you got hos. your actions have been mostly bad. you express little patience for other players' rp, especially when it's not to the letter of your likings.

perhaps most important of all is some ooc comments you made in february after a round on clarion where you were a sleeper and decided to, without escalation, blow up sec because you thought they had been overly hostile and bad at their work towards other players (re: not you, not your escalation); an action which ended the round for EVERYONE at 70 minutes in; the following round after had a 15 player drop in population. you then explained that this was okay for you to do because "I'm the real hero of that round, btw; Bombing Sec and getting a shuttle call; Ez win" (2/01/21), "The escalation was Sec's actions to the crew for the entire shift", that everyone was "bomb adverse" and that's why we were unhappy with it, and that "What you think I'm gonna just bomb Sec as non-antag when I'm HoS whitelisted?".

OTHER HOS PLAYERS called you out on you using your hos whitelist permissions as a chip or excuse for why you, personally, you, especially, you, above all people, thought you were allowed to do no-escalation rules-flaunting bombings and end rounds prematurely for 50+ people. you were not a hos that round, you were a scientist. but moreover, even though whitelist is a tremendous privilege and an important role for anyone in the community to fulfill to ensure better movement of rounds, it doesn't put your player experience miraculously above everyone else's. i cannot fathom if that's your approach to hos, to put yourself above everyone else, to SEE security doing the precise things that YOU ooc/meta-wise are meant to help stop and decide instead of doing anything instructional, loocing them with the pretense "hey i'm whitelisted, this is uncool and im willing to help nudge you in the right direction", starting a petition against them on station, trying to connect with the antags or other crew they had harmed to get statements and start a bigger venture; what effect mentorship will have on your beliefs of what your role is in the community. from your experience on this other whitelisted role, i cant see it doing anything other than making you think you're at an even higher level than other players on rp, allowed to do egregious garbage and flauntmore rules like that clarion round or the vampire, and allowed to impress, with the full force of weight of representing goon behind your words, that cerain antagonist styles are bad and useless and awful and the people playing that way should feel bad about playing that way.

i see "apply after 3 months" for whitelist roles as a best-case-scenario, since mentors and hoses should have good records of performance and personalities as well as just the 3 months of persistence in the community. i think it's possible to go from bad to good, but there has to be a consistency of that goodness. so i wouldn't even begin to reconsider an app from you until 3 months from now because you have had a consistency and history of un-goodness that i think is remarkably counter to what mentors should aspire to.

i strongly do not recommend you for mentor. get a better tracking record for at least 3 months and move some mountains; maybe i'd give it a chance then.

I've noticed that me & you haven't seen eye to eye since I got whitelisted, and it feels like this has all been building up for some time now and this is the culmination of it. I don't want there to be a negative thing between us anymore and I wanna make this right.
(03-30-2021, 12:26 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: perhaps most important of all is some ooc comments you made in february after a round on clarion where you were a sleeper and decided to, without escalation, blow up sec because you thought they had been overly hostile and bad at their work towards other players (re: not you, not your escalation); an action which ended the round for EVERYONE at 70 minutes in; the following round after had a 15 player drop in population. you then explained that this was okay for you to do because "I'm the real hero of that round, btw; Bombing Sec and getting a shuttle call; Ez win" (2/01/21), "The escalation was Sec's actions to the crew for the entire shift", that everyone was "bomb adverse" and that's why we were unhappy with it, and that "What you think I'm gonna just bomb Sec as non-antag when I'm HoS whitelisted?".

Lets give a bit of context to that (horrible horrible) round, as I latejoined as SecOff that round. Lots of people had all access, the radio host was constantly slandering sec and riling the crew up, bartender was lubing the hallways around sec, the crew in general seemed to profoundly hate us, and not totally without reason as another officer was just stabbing someone we arrested with wire cutters he kept in his pocket. Now, could the situation have been escalated better? Yes. Was it completely out of the blue? No, with all the shit being thrown at sec it wasn't surprising someone decided to get rid of us for good. Even if he wasn't responsible for the slander, I feel it fitted contextually within the round (Also because I really wanted it to end, since there was no RP going on playing security just left me feeling like shit). 

And what is the problem with a round ending earlier? Rounds aren't guaranteed to last 120 minutes just because its the RP server and I think this limits a lot of what antags can do. And there was more discussion after the comments you quoted, in which he did acknowledge that it was bad escalation and said he would try to do better next time, which I think is a good attitude for mentor.

Onto my general thoughts on the application, my interactions with them in game have all been great, being an officer with Maverick as HoS has always been a great experience, especially when I was rusty after not playing ss13 for about a year. And while I have seen them get into a couple of discussions on the discord, I believe they were generally productive and never reached a point where it was just aggressive, which, again, is ideal attitude for a mentor. So +1 to them from me.
(03-30-2021, 12:26 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: perhaps most important of all is some ooc comments you made in february after a round on clarion where you were a sleeper and decided to, without escalation, blow up sec because you thought they had been overly hostile and bad at their work towards other players (re: not you, not your escalation); an action which ended the round for EVERYONE at 70 minutes in; the following round after had a 15 player drop in population. you then explained that this was okay for you to do because "I'm the real hero of that round, btw; Bombing Sec and getting a shuttle call; Ez win" (2/01/21), "The escalation was Sec's actions to the crew for the entire shift", that everyone was "bomb adverse" and that's why we were unhappy with it, and that "What you think I'm gonna just bomb Sec as non-antag when I'm HoS whitelisted?".

As the captain that round, I do need to agree with what Maegor said, from start to finish that was a bad round with what had happened before that point, the Sec bombing was the best part of the round for me, mainly because I crawled out of the ruins of Sec HQ to say, "call the shuttle" and frankly I was happy to end the round because of everything that was already said and more,

as per Wrench him self, I learned a lot in sec from fallowing his lead, he is knowable in quite a few areas and over all has a great grasp of both basic and advanced game mechanics.
i appreciate the additional context; i was in the round too. my problem is not the timing of the round it was the escalation of it. thanks.
+1 They did a great job at teaching me sec when they were HoS, they were very patient and very happy to help me. If they put that same effort into teaching other jobs I know they'll do great as mentor!
maverick taught me a lot when i first started playing and helped me learn how to play sec in my early days of it, i enjoy playing sec with them and i see them teaching new sec a lot so overall i think they would be a great purple mouse

+1
While wrench is generally an alright person that is relatively kind to other people, there are moments that are incredibly questionable and very rude to other people. I cannot say I recommend them as mentor nor am I entirely against their mentorship.

I'd give wrench a 0. Please keep a level head.