HoS App: Nefarious6th / Marcy Meyow
I've really avoided writing this, so first of all, I'm sorry that it's coming a bit late. Some of this is feedback I should have given on your Mentor application, but at the end of the day it wasn't necessary there. I do feel that it's necessary here.

TL;DR: -1 from me.

You have a lot of strengths that you bring to Goonstation in general and Security in particular. I appreciate that you're thoughtful and responsive, and that you pay careful attention to the many threads that are always in play at any given time. You are good at handling both big and small issues that arise during a round, and I have no doubt that you're continuing to do the same thing even with the extra information coming at you as a Mentor now. It's a lot to juggle, and you do it well.

But all that being said, my first response when I see you join a security team is a mild "Oh... hm, I hope this goes okay." Not because I think you're going to be awful or anything like that. You're very conscientious. But you are also very critical and take things very personally, and more than once I have seen things go sour either during or after a round because you got upset and started calling people out for decisions or actions that you disagreed with. I get nervous that I am going to do something that upsets you and that I'll get called out on Discord for it - though probably not by name - after the round ends.

One of the important unspoken things that a HoS provides, especially on RP, is a sense of stability and emotional tone in a round. I've referred to it when talking to others as being "emotionally robust." It's about not letting people get to you, about being a cool head and a stabilizing influence when tempers are starting to run high, and a gentle prod of encouragement if someone on the team is too timid or if someone is giving up on the round. People will always be very critical of the HoS, and if the HoS takes that criticism personally or lets it get to them, things are going to slowly sour, and if the HoS player is willing to lash out, then it is going to sour faster.

I have seen people leave the round and the server over the criticism you've given them and the way that you did it.

If I +1 someone for Head of Security, I know that they will be a consistently gentle, positive, encouraging, and stabilizing influence on rounds. I know that they will handle interpersonal conflict with grace, and that they will de-escalate things both in and out of character, so that everyone involved can have fun. This includes post-round and on Discord.

At the end of the day, I have seen enough of the opposite from you that despite your many other good qualities, I do not feel comfortable recommending you for Head of Security.

Messages In This Thread
RE: HoS App: Nefarious6th / Marcy Meyow - by Cal - 06-11-2021, 04:59 PM
RE: HoS App: Nefarious6th / Marcy Meyow - by jan.antilles - 07-02-2021, 12:41 PM
RE: HoS App: Nefarious6th / Marcy Meyow - by Caro - 08-18-2021, 01:52 PM