Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
[MERGED PR] Locking Genebooth and Ruckingenur Kit
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[feature][balance][help wanted]
About the PR
- Adds ability to disable printing of blueprints (on a per blueprint basis) on rkit, those with permission will get an additional option to lock/unlock or print directly.
- Adds ability to remove downloaded (loaded through blueprint) schematics from fabricator, prompt is provided to ensure correct action is performed.
- Adds ability to disable specific mutations from genebooth, those with permission will get a separate dialog with options to adjust the price and lock/unlock.

- Access is gated using `allowed()` which makes it work without changing state of the device. (Input Wanted)
- Access is based on heads instead of Medical Director and CE. (Input Wanted)

Ruckingenur Kit
[Image: 112228732-fc853e00-8bee-11eb-8db8-b69613a77170.png]

Fabricators
[Image: 112933965-aaa05480-90d5-11eb-9b8a-8a74e8f680bd.png]
[Image: 112228790-1757b280-8bef-11eb-9322-444437b4dd15.png]
[Image: 112933969-ae33db80-90d5-11eb-8a87-3a4408a9a0e3.png]

Genebooth:
[Image: 112228888-3a826200-8bef-11eb-8978-5cbafb43cd72.png]

Why's this needed?
Gives Heads the ability to deal with undesirable genes and fabricated items non-destructively.
Counter-play shenanigans is available by procuring sufficient access.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Azrun
(*)Allows department head of staff to lock down output from Genebooth and Ruckingenur Kit.
(+)Department heads can now adjust price of Genebooth items as well as delete downloaded schematics from fabricators.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Implements my interpretation of: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=16034

Specific topics I really want input on:

User Interface:
Access is gated using allowed() which makes it work without changing state of the device. Prompts appear when character interacts with the device with sufficient access.

Gating of Functionality
Access is based on heads instead of Medical Director and CE. The idea is that responsibility is distributes across heads with the expectation that typically Medical Director and CE are going to be the first in line to deal with the issue, but there are others that can in there absence. Additionally, provides other IDs that can be procured...
Would a general announcement of some sort be useful with this? Is there any way to track who removed items? Something generic like: '[job title][name] has adjusted the gene booth inventory' could be handy.

I was concerned about AA to remove items, but just locking/unlocking them seems a much better option.
(03-25-2021, 08:45 PM)Brixx79 Wrote: Would a general announcement of some sort be useful with this?  Is there any way to track who removed items?  Something generic like:  '[job title][name] has adjusted the gene booth inventory' could be handy.

I was concerned about AA to remove items, but just locking/unlocking them seems a much better option.

There isn't a notif for a record being deleted from the cloner, so I feel that there shouldn't be any notif for this either.
I've talked about this on the discord already, but I feel that access should be restricted to specific heads rather than all heads, if not for the gene booth, then certainly for the kit.

An MD having the access to change stuff in the mechanics lab makes absolutely zero sense to me, and it's not like there aren't plenty of other heads with the access necessary. If Captain, HoP, HoS, and CE all don't feel like removing a thing from the Ruckingeneur Kit, then I don't think it makes sense for an MD to come along and remove it.
If I were to make this PR, I would also restrict the CE and RD from modfying the gene booth stuff, because I generally would prefer it if people actually stay in their lanes. It can be annoying enough to have one person trying to mess with your stuff as Geneticist, imagine if there are like 6 heads and if *any* of them disagree with what you put into the booth, they'll mess with you.
Giving non-medical (non-AA) heads special access in the medical department feels like it violates chain of command for me.

Apart from these minor gripes, I think this is a good addition.
I would like it if you could remove things from the booth and kit too, as stuff in there being non-removable feels like it doesn't make much sense to me either?
And it would open up additional avenues for stealth with the kit. (But first kits would need to be changed to not all use the same pool of blueprints, so maybe this stuff should be handled in a future PR.)
Agree with what Zjd said.
What's stopping say the HoS or Captain from printing guns and then locking them off the ruckingenur to minimize any risk here?
The lawbringer is pretty easy to produce copies of, and this would make it easier to powergame said items without other people being able to easily print them as well.
It was always a double-edged sword if someone were to use it for weapons, but now it seems exploitable to heads, who can do it very easily early in the round.

This is precisely because you can just make weapon copies, store them in your bag. Then lock them down and delete the recipe from whatever manufacturer you used. Now, only you and the other heads have easily attainable weapons, instead of a majority of the crew. This minimizes the risk considerably and wouldn't have been possible if this change weren't hypothetically made.
I think that the heads using these to covertly produce weapons is a perfectly acceptable tradeoff; letting the station break down into lawless anarchy is usually to the favor of a traitor head. Letting them shoes if they want lawless anarchy to cover up their crimes or not is a good choice.

I'm primarily mechanic and I always thought about this level of control would be appropriate I shouldn't be able to bring the station to it's knees with almost no evidence by scanning the wrong traitor item and then leaving it alone.