HoS app: Mexicat / Cal Mooberly
Usual character name: Cal Mooberly
BYOND username: Mexicat
Discord username: Cal#2106
Recommended by: Retrino, DimWhat, Jan.antilles
Goon servers you play: Mostly RP 3 and 4, sometimes 1.

Reason for application: 
Lately I’ve noticed quite a few new or inexperienced Security Officers. I consider myself relatively experienced in playing Security and I’d like to not only be able to offer input on training new officers, but grow myself as a player by playing Head of Security.

Security experience:
I started playing on RP 3 Months ago and wanted to rp an idiot officer that wanted to have kinetic guns - I quickly learned this was a horrible idea and was given feedback on such. Since then I’ve grown to be a Security officer (and player!) that people can rely on and as such I do my best to assist my fellow officers, communicate as much as I can and (on rp) give the antagonist room to play around while keeping an eye on them or chasing them for shenanigans.

As I’ve started to play on Main, getting used to the antag roles I’m not used to and knowing how to combat them has helped me become better at communicating - Main servers need much quicker and concise comms so as every officer is aware that it’s a round type that may require quick response or opening the armory in the case of Nuclear Operatives. I also do my best to check in with my fellow security officers and see if they need any kind of special ways of contacting them - For example: I played on RP with a deaf officer one time, which required me to use the Security PDA mail group as opposed to just speaking on the radio, as the auditory headset does not include the Security channel.

As for RP, I do my best to play along if Antagonists are trying to do a gimmick - Releasing them if caught early is far more interesting for both parties than strip searching them for their PDA on the first offense. Giving them second chances is all too important for the round to be interesting for all parties involved. It requires a gentle hand to ensure you’re not too harsh while still giving a proper punishment, and I’ve learned how to do both with the guidance of kind and teaching HoS officers. 

I am not perfect of course - I still have plenty of room to grow, I have made plenty of mistakes, but the mindset of a good Head of Security officer is to ensure that any mistakes made are quickly thought on and fixed if they’re made at all.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
Besides communicate on the Security radio - take breaks from playing Security. The rounds can either be too stressful or simply boring from antagonists being friendly, which is fine. Don’t allow yourself to be stressed out or bored if you don’t want to! Cryo (even as HoS!) take a break from Security, play Miner and enjoy the solitude of you and  your rocks for a few rounds, or Medical and still offering your services to Security if you’d still like some action in your round - Or simply take some time off from the game! Nothing is worse than being stressed out by the thought of playing a game you enjoy. On RP - Do your best to play along if the antagonist is putting in an effort! Make them your rival and make it your job to finally “take them down” non-lethally and make them serve their time (stay in the brig and chat with them about their motivations if you set a timer longer than 30 seconds.)

• What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
     I really would like if the tracker that came with your weapon included your character name on it. Sometimes some newer officers have no idea where the labeler is when they’re on a map they aren’t familiar with.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
     When I’m solo I tend to take things at a slower pace, it’s important to not get too stressed out - Break up a fight, ask the AI to back you up with a watchful eye. 
When I’m with a full team, I tend to rely on them and ask if anyone else can look into a report if I’m otherwise busy, we have other officers so I don’t feel the need to try to do everything myself - a good way to get unnecessarily stressed out!

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    A while ago out of boredom I threw a birthday party for Beepsky which I immediately myself crashed by making the final present a pipebomb when sleeper agent activated on me. I’d like to pick a random security officer (or Beepsky) and just throw them a surprise party for their hard work! Without the pipebomb, though...

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):  I was banned for 4 days in 2019 for stabbing a few people with a knife as a non-antag when I first came back to the servers for a bit. I have much older bans from 2012 besides that that I don't quite remember.
+1 

I've seen Cal a lot on Discord, and more recently in-game as well. They're a good security officer and have the right mindset when playing the role, as their application demonstrates. Great candidate for HoS.
Again, bully here. I watched Cal grow as an officer and it touches my heart. They started out lowly and not very knowledgeable of what they can and can't do. Let's just say it lead to some interesting situations that Cal has only learned from. He made mistakes along his path and each time he did, he got better each time. They treat criminals with kindness and they know that being a antagonist isn't necessarily a crime.

Cal Mooberly is a person I would trust in this position. +1
+1.

with your intentions and goals, you've come a long ways from twirling a clock and shooting yourself with it. responsive on sec comms and pda, familiar with the classics, and both high and low-pop rp and have a fantastic grip on escalation and tone for different server paces. also appreciable as a fun and intriguing antagonist, and treats other antags as the same; never shuts people down just because they're antags. you have a more unique and in-depth approach to punishments that help move stories along versus ending antagonists' stories as soon as they commit their major crime.

having you on a sec team as an officer is always such a blessing. thank you for being my point person for communication so many times. you embody cooperation and dedication to the team and the station; i would be very excited to see you as a hos so that you can teach other sec players those same qualities and better uplift rounds on the whole.

Holstein of Security!
Cal as a HoS is abit scary but fine. I seen him around and he always tries to keep the fun going.
Yes, Cal is a good sec officer to have on the teams, knows how to make it fun for antags and the crew also knows how to have fun and not get stressed in chaotic situations wich Is a good skill to have as a hos. +1
yes, i want to see him not able to use smokeshot even though nobody EVER uses it. +1
has a solid understanding of the balance between being a good officer and knowing when to give a bit of slack to keep the round moving, which can be a difficult thing to manage, especially in chaotic situations. plays sec quite a bit on both servers and does it well. +1 for the first bovine hos
Very glad to see you finally applied for HoS.

Although I don't unfortunately remember having played rounds with you on the same team as Security Officers, that does not mean i have not watched your behavior as one, either because I was dead or just a regular crew member. I can tell that you are a hard working Officer and you have one of the best RP interactions out there wich is highly valuable, quality experiences with you is what makes me happy to give you a +1.

I want to see how high can you soar as the Head of Security, because we could really use someone like you, and i cannot wait to work under your wings as our boss!

Cal HoSbery!
I think the most important thing for a Sec Off to do is make sure that both the normal crew and the antagonists are having fun and I think Cal has that.

I believe Cal will make a fine HOS and more non human HOSs are always a big plus for me.

but how will Cal be able to put on the HOS stompy boots?!?

+1
Tip! The! Cal! +1
Cal is a funny cow. Only played security with em maybe once or twice on RP, so I can't speak for robustness. But he seems like a good sport.

Hard to give a solid plus/minus on that scant information, but my opinion is pretty positive.
Cal is a good.

I don't have many experiences with them as sec but I only remember them as the good.

If I can get something more concrete later I can give a full +1. But for now, is a very good.
Cal knows both what to do as security, and very well how to evade them. defenitely a +1
+1 from Alex McFree. never had a bad experiance with this cow.