Mentor app: Mexicat / Cal Mooberly
Usual character name: Cal Mooberly
BYOND username: Mexicat
Discord username: Cal#2106
Recommended by: Retrino, DimWhat, Jan.antilles
Goon servers you play: Mostly RP 3 and 4, sometimes 1.

Reason for application + game experience: 
I've been playing Space Station 13 for a very long time - I started in 2012 when I was about 18 years old took a long break and came back in 2020. 

The amount of change I’ve seen to the servers from when I first played is incredible. From brand new sprites to every job having deeper and more interesting mechanics (Genetics isn’t pressing 1 and 0 anymore!?) I’ve once again fallen in love with the game, and learned how to do most jobs with a decent amount of knowledge but I consider myself good at the Medical jobs most of all, with experience in Mining, Botany, QM, and I'm trying out Engineering to see what it's like!

I’m always happy to teach someone who is willing to learn in game, and it makes me pretty happy when I see them in-game react positively to how the game is. Just the other day I had a Staff Assistant come up to me while I was mining and ask if they could join me - I let them in and taught them some of the more basic points and it made me smile when they saw how cool the industrial armor and mechboots were and how they worked and have them say “mining is cool”. I even got to show them just how dangerous Erebite is when I accidentally got hit while holding some!

Why I’m applying is simply because I want to help people, I truly love this game and have had unforgettable experiences with it. I want to be able to more effectively teach people how to get into it so they too can have memorable experiences with our community. Learning is sort of the only barrier to this and I’m more than happy to answer questions ingame or on Discord to help people learn how to play and hopefully pass that knowledge on - as other Mentors have done for me by helping me learn!

Previous bans: 
I was banned for 4 days in 2019 for stabbing a few people with a knife as a non-antag when I first came back to the servers for a bit.
Ye, I bullied them for a reason. I've seen them around since the exact day they returned to goon poking their head around. At first I was not impressed with their behavior but over time they settled to be a prime example of a good player. They take the time to teach people how to do jobs and is generally a positive influence on any round they are in. Cal takes the time to make sure that people are having fun in the round first and foremost, it's frankly admirable. They've found a spot in this community and I feel they would be an excellent fit for mentor. +1
tough one for me; like a +0.5. not a full +1 just yet, but very easily could become one by the end of this app cycle.

your ooc attitude in discord is one that helps inform others, and i've noticed you also aim to keep chat in any channel respectful and mostly positive. i admire that tremendously and think you do a great service to everyone in being not just a source of knowledge other players can rely on, but one that is always, ceaselessly excited about teaching and the positive qualities of the community and the game. i would very much like to see you as a mentor because of this. i see you embodying the role very well, when it comes to answering questions and representing goon.

this is where it is harder for me: sometimes in-round i think you lose patience and make some kind of impulsive negative decisions. i think you are also already very aware of this and i've seen such a total attitude shift from when you re-joined rp last year to now that i also know you are actively working on this and getting better. some of these impulsive actions were still a little recent, though. i just want to know/see that you're making a good effort to stop those things before they're taken out on other players in a round and have consistentcy in doing so before this is a full rec; i am fairly confident this is something that you will master by the end of this cycle, though, and would sincerely look forward to returning here in to give my full recommendation.
Cal fun and good to play with, I trust them to not use mhelp knowledge to metagame and to be nice to new players. +1
just here to back up my recommendation. cal is always helping out on the discord and in game. very fun to rp with, or just chat with in general. has been making efforts to constantly improve himself as a player and person, no doubts would make a good mentor +1
TIL Cal is the same age as me

+1! I've watched Cal go from someone I was somewhat weary of (Uh oh, Cals been seen around and I'm playing sec...) to someone I'm excited to see every time I run in to them! Cal was willing to discuss and adjust their behavior the one time I had a directly bad interaction with them and imo has fully embraced the "Fun for everyone" part of ss13 now. Cal always has interesting gimmicks and storylines going on, and is a joy to interact with. Cal's often helping others in discord and very consistent positive and friendly personality in there. I hope for many more Azones adventures with Cal, and fully believe they're ready for the mentor role.
Friendly, generally knowledgeable, all around good egg.

And I don't even like eggs.

I'm just kidding I like eggs.
I'm confident you will be a very good mentor, your behavior towards the community as a whole is no less than stellar, and seeing you on rounds is a good sign of very good interactions and the overall experience, you are also eager to answer questions on Discord and you have showed the interest to learn new things (like Botany).

A +1 from me, Stinky Mooooouse!
+1 from me!

Cal is helpful and takes time to teach and learn. I have confidence that they won't use mentorhelp information to gain advantage in rounds. Over time they have really committed themselves to making rounds better for everyone, and I know they will shine as a mentor!
Sure +1 from me.

Pretty active on discord and I've seen them a little bit in game. Sounds like they know their stuff. Make this one a stinky nerd too.
I'm back and have spectated a bunch since. Cal continues a positive presence on Discord and is, as always, lovely to interact with there.

I've watched some Main rounds and some RP rounds with Cal in them and have seen Cal handle some tough and frustrating situations with great grace and patience, totally dissolving the concerns I had earlier. I recognize Cal has been giving tremendous and consistent effort to have an awareness of which rounds to participate in and when they aren't going great/when to step back. I wanted to say that I think he's been an incredibly valuable player to have on lower-pop RP rounds and maintains a meaningful, inclusive, and positive presence there especially. Right now Cal is playing at his best, and it's helping others play at their best too. And given that he's only grown and flourished as a player, I wholeheartedly believe he will continue to bring only the best to the community!

I'm very very happy to give my full +1 at this point and have no other concerns! With the prior one put to rest, I think Cal would be an invaluable asset to the mentor team.
+1

Good dude, don't have much else to say.
Nice interactions on discord and seems knowledgeable. +1
Cal is great and I'm confident they will make a good mentor. +1
Gets a +1 from me.  Cal is one of the main reasons why I stay to the server; I find his shenanigans in game funny and on the Discord he's always willing to provide good information.  I outright enjoy dealing with his in game gimmicks on the RP server.

He'd definitely be good for it.