Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Armory reshuffle - More accessible nonlethals, actual lethals in armory
Armory lethals have been maligned in the past, primarily because they'd inevitably be used by officers on random people who didn't really deserve it when the armory was opened up for something else. As an option to maybe let the sec team have lethal gear again - why not move the light-duty stuff out?

Main idea: The two longarms racks are moved to the locker room, the idea being that, like the riot launcher, they're somewhat specialized gear, but not really strong enough to lock up. (Beanbags in sectechs and/or loadout utility credits would obviously have to go along with this - as could an individual ID lockout similar to armory auth to stop one officer from loading up on the entire stock of big guns.) This keeps them stealable (which simply adding to the loadout screen definitely would not) while hopefully adding more loadout and "role" variety to security. Six guns for what's usually maximum six officers. Making them bulkier could discourage regular use if they're strong enough for that to be problematic.
Other specialty gear that is definitely not heavy duty would be moved to crates accessible to all of Security, but not front and center to discourage being taken as regular gear, similar to the anti-bio crate on Cog1 and other maps. This includes anything you definitely want available on shorter notice, but don't want taken by a clueless officer, and simply hiding it inside a locker or crate seems a lot more reasonable than making it entirely inaccessible. The less-lethal grenades for i.e. suppressing a rev horde are an obvious example of something in this tier.
The much more dangerous grenades, the heavy body armor, and the like would stay in the armory as gear that is legitimately needed in emergency situations but otherwise is actively detrimental (to either bystanders or the security officer trying to patrol with major slowdown). This would come with various other lethal or "barely nonlethal" options - more than one box of buckshot in the ammotech, at least. Early Discord discussions have brought up a stock of phasers, toned-down lethal-locked Signifiers, and mods of otherwise-nonlethal security equipment. Ideally the armory would become something ONLY used to store lethals and direct combat gear that doesn't mesh with normal security work, hopefully avoiding the issue of opening it up for some slightly heavier nonlethal weapons or the tranq and having one officer load up on buckshot to shoot the clown with, without entirely sacrificing the sec team's ability to fight things that don't care about stuns.

This would have to come with some security upgrades for the armory to make hacking into it more difficult, instead of just being a normal door with a single turret that can be defeated with a nearby locker. Alarm systems, welded access panels - again, there's a lot of ideas for this, and I'm sure the forum can think up more.
Balance concerns: whether anything that would be moved out of the armory is currently too strong to be readily accessed, whether sec needs lethals at all or how locked up they should be if so, how strong the armory gear actually ought to be, whether some things (like tranq) should be moved out or not.
I really like this idea as sec it never made sense to me that opening armory just gives you more stun weapons. At least I think armory being opened should mean theres a BIG threat that you cant just arrest like blob revonets nukies etc. So adding more lethal level weapons into armory is a good decision in my opinion. As well as making it harder to hack in currently as long as no sec are watching hacking into armory is as easy as screw cut crowbar. And your in which seems way to easy. As armory already has extra power so it can defend against sinks why cant it defend against basic hacking.