HoS Application (Mr. Green)
Usual character name: Mr. Green
BYOND username: De Luuk
Discord username: De Luuk
Recommended by: Drago Kitterson, OMJ (who i am aware got himself banned during my hiatus)
Goon servers you play: Goonstation 1 Classic: Heisenbee

Reason for application: 
To be 100% honest, the main reason i am applying now is because i'm also applying for mentor. That being said, i have been considering applying for HoS for quite a while now. There are 2 main reasons that were stopping me from doing so. 

The first is the fact that i always play monkey when i'm Mr. Green. Now i personally feel like i've made monkey sec-off work, for example by using a fruit hat to compensate for the smaller hitbox and making sure i have a way to communicate (using pda, giving people people pdas if they dont have one, using pens/labelers etc). Going HoS monkey however was never really an option to me, seeing how in my experience the main job of the HoS is being a leader to the sec team, and even tho i would be able to communicate as monkey, it wouldnt be to the extend that i feel would be needed to be a good HoS. The recent addition of the vocal translator (aka monkey translator) has changed this tho.

The second reason is that i feel like i don't play sec that much. Dont get me wrong, i feel confident in my abilities as sec, and i have played a lot of sec for periods in the past, but in general secoff isn't really my goto job. I play sec from time to time, but it's way more common for me to play med, borg or staffie. I always kinda felt HoS was more for sec-mains. Reading in Duke, Duke Nukem's HoS application that he believes that there should be more HoS' around kinda made me rethink this tho. I might not play sec very often, but going HoS does seem fun to me, and i fully agree that having some leadership around can really benefit sec.

So, since both reasons no longer really apply, since like i mentioned i was allready applying for mentor anyway, and since i honestly feel like i would enjoy playing HoS, here we are. 

Security experience (300 word minimum):
When i started playing i stayed away from playing sec for quite a while. This was partially due to the bad rep sec tends to get (being a powerhungry shitsec didnt seem very tempting), but way more due to me wanting to know the rest of the game first. I wouldnt want anyone to die in my custody when that death could have been easily avoided for example, so i wanted to learn med first. Also, i feel like its useful being able to tell the difference between actual crime and a staffie nicking some insul gloves. I also wanted some experience in the antag roles, so i would know how to spot them, and what to look out for.

When i did finally play secoff a few things became apparent quickly. First the fact that not all secoffs seem to set these same requirements for themselves before playing secoff. This also explained the bad rep sec often gets. Giving stun batons to very new people, or people that i'd say lack in the empathy department, will always result in some issues. The second thing however was that this rep is not deserved. We had and have some very good and fair secoffs on this server. The third and last thing i noticed rather quickly was that there are quite a few different ways to play security. Some rounds wizards that havent really done anything get spaced because "there is no such thing as a good wizard" and other rounds it's basicly chill in sec and let the gangs do their thing, as long as they dont blow up the place.

I've personally always leant towards a more laidback approach to security. This is because i think that antags can add a lot of flavour to a round. That doesn't mean i believe you need to let antags do whatever they want, but i feel like giving them some room to work with usually benefits everyone. For example, while i obviously think you should search people and confiscate any contraband, i think completely locking that contraband away is a boring thing to do. Like, put it in a locker somewhere, but give them a chance to sneak back in and steal it back, if they can pull it off. In my experience this leads to way more fun rounds, even tho it will obviously sometimes backfire too. As an extention of this i do believe for some rounds some light RP can help. We all know what wizards are, we all know that wizards, even if they try to be good, will probably end up ars nath'ing some people anyways. Why not act tho like it's just another day, and suddenly wizards show up. See what they do, and if u need to react, then react. Yes, having good wizards around can sometimes lead to boring sec rounds, but instantly killing them all certainly will.

Ofcoarse you can't be laidback every round. Nukies and revs are a great example of this. Some of the most fun sec experiences you can have as sec are on these kinds of rounds in my opinion. A good firefight with nukies can be great and test your skill. A round where revs dont get called out instantly, so they gather some momentum, then trying to regain control of the station i think is a ton of fun. These types of rounds really are the most fun if you have sec team that is working together well. 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    To new sec players: Never ever permabrig.Learn how different intents affect your stun gun and baton.In general:Use some empathy when deciding on punishments. You wouldnt like being brigged for 15 minutes for stealing some shit no one misses, so dont do that to others either.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    Gun practice with OMJ. We once spend most of a round just testing stuff, like some fancy drop dodge tricks, and basicly just sparring a bit. If i recall correctly it all started with him asking something allong the lines of "hey can i try to shoot you". It also involved us bouncing a bunch of taser shots back and forth between 2 barriers. Fun times.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    Well, for one i think the addition of the secass job is a great addition.I think security could benefit from having access to a bit more of the standard tier gear. Ofcoarse there are allready options, like the extra tokens in the armory, or ordering more from cargo, but those options arent always ideal, especially on low pop. Having just one extra token lying around sec which is accessable by all secoffs (not secass) could be beneficial in some situations, like a secoff that got their gear stolen needing to retrieve it having something to fall back on, or giving some new player playing secass a baton to practice intents with.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    I believe that as solo secoff its even more important to not escalate when this can be avoided, since you will almost always end up being outnumbered. You cant be afraid to hand out some gear to non-sec either when solo if its revs or nukies, but in both cases do try to keep a group that works together, since otherwise you are pretty much giving gear to the enemy.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    Station full of bees
    Only his wits and baton
    Let the nukies come
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    All clown sec would be lovely, and not just the outfits, but the clown traits too, like cuffing and flashing yourself, having trouble with batons, everything.All monkey sec would be lovely, but that's one of those things where's its only fun if the whole team is on board with it, not if u make them.Also, if i do make HoS, it is highly likely that Stirstir will be HoS soon too.
  • Draw a picture!
          [Image: secmonkey.png]
Previous bans: None
Ok uh ignore the part on my post on your mentor app about applying for HoS, I'm just dumb.

Yes, Mr. Green was always a good sec when he was on the team and I think they'd make a good HoS, though they might wanna play some more sec now for those not familiar with them! Also maybe no monkeying around when you're sec?

+1
yes! great judgment, great teamwork and knows how to keep things fun. always a formidable opponent. +1
1+ from me. I really wanna see HoS monkey
+1
monkey hos
+1 for sitstir security team
+1 mr green is a good monkey and a good sec person, had a great round with them today, fair and effective
+1 from me! Mr Green is competent, fair, and most importantly, communicative.
Mr. Green embodies all of the positive traits you look for in a HoS candidate: he communicates, he does his best to not escalate to violence, and he doesn't punish people harshly when they are in custody. He understands that we're all just people having fun behind a computer and he tries to let everyone keep playing and doing their thing. I think it's why he plays medical so much, he helps bring back and keep people in the round. He would make an excellent team leader and keeper of the peace. +1
Had a sec round with them today, good sec officer, spoke on the radio and did his best to try to save me after I horribly died and ended up going trough the effort of monkey cloning me, has a good behaviour overall so I am going to +1 Green for Head Of Simians wink
Communication is the key for a good sec team. Mr. Green would definitely make a capable Monke HoS.

+1
I waited a while before I posted this, because I hadn't yet see Mr. Green play security. However since hes posted this app, hes played security and done a great job. +2.
Time to return (security) to monke