Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 1.36 Average
Purchase antag token with spacebux
I think this would decrease the amount of people antag fishing (suiciding early into the game or just flat out DC'ing because they didn't roll antag) and give them a reason to not only play an entire round but also survive and make it on the shuttle.

The only con I can see is that it might unbalance some rounds? Unless the round already takes into account people who have used antag tokens before rolling for others.

Lets face it, there are people who flat out enjoy antag more than regular crewman and they don't really have much of an incentive to NOT fish other than getting banned. I think this would encourage it. The game is a chaotic sandbox and antag is the only time you get free-reign with it. Lets not stigmatize antags.

Make it very expensive (100-200k?) so it would take a while to earn but that way you don't have to go through a month antag-drought.
Antag fishers were already expecting to not play a whole round: I don't expect this to stymie the situation.
Antags aren't stigmatized IMO, and more tokens wouldn't help their reputation, if anything it'd hinder it?? Open to interpretation.
not even if there was a fire
Would likely promote hoarding spacebux and discourage using them on the smaller things.

Also would generally add a headache of having to carefully balance the economy + possibly introduce some value to spacebux, potentially leading to some shady trading for them.

In terms of the idea that it'd decrease antag fishing by making people stick around, my prediction would be that instead of leaving the round they'd hide and idle somewhere through it.
(03-17-2021, 10:28 AM)Gerhazo Wrote: In terms of the idea that it'd decrease antag fishing by making people stick around, my prediction would be that instead of leaving the round they'd hide and idle somewhere through it.

I thought about this the other day, why don't we have some kind of idle kicker? Is it feasible with BYOND?

(03-17-2021, 10:27 AM)MarkNstein Wrote: Antag fishers were already expecting to not play a whole round: I don't expect this to stymie the situation.

How so? You get more spacebux for surviving a round and being in the pilot's seat on the shuttle - you can only get there by playing through to the end. More spacebux = quicker antag token

(03-17-2021, 10:28 AM)Gerhazo Wrote: Would likely promote hoarding spacebux and discourage using them on the smaller things.

Just cap it. 1 Antag token per month. I'm just looking at this as a way of letting people get antag more thus blowing off steam and maybe actually playing regular crew more.

The stigma against antag thing was just an opinion, whether it exists or not is up to debate but imo it seems like any idea giving player more access to antag gets shot down pretty fast i.e. the current response to this thread. The other thing is that its frowned upon for people to ONLY enjoy playing antag obviously as opposed to enjoying both being a regular crewman and a traitor occasionally. The fact is you don't get to fully control the sandbox of SS13 without being liberated from the rules as an antag - thats what makes it appealing, interesting objectives & nuke ops scenarios aside.
As much as Id like this I gotta agree with Gerhazo. It would pretty much just make people ONLY save up their spacebux towards tokens.
(03-17-2021, 10:40 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: As much as Id like this I gotta agree with Gerhazo. It would pretty much just make people ONLY save up their spacebux towards tokens.

Not that I think this would be a good idea, but I don't think people would only use bux for tokens?

I mean, I know I wouldn't, I've already had tokens forever and never use them, and so do many other players, I think.^^
Also, lots of people don't even turn antag on, I think?
Wouldn't this create a similar problem that antag weighting did?

(People getting large sequences of antagonist rounds in a row)
There's also the issue that antag tokens were originally and still are used almost entirely for when an admin fucks up and ruins your antag round, and are seldom given out otherwise. And, when they are, it is an inconsistent source, such as when Pali offered an antag token to the first person to make a system that would automatically teleport a detained subject to the brig with the addition of securitrons now reporting coordinates of detained perps.
The ONLY thing I would suggest that might work with spacebux and antags is allowing a player to purchase their preferred antag type IF the round is mixed and IF they were selected as antag.

Otherwise you're just back to weighting antag selection away from newer players, even if just at the margins, and incentivizing antag fishing players staying logged in via another window until they hear the shuttle call.
folks don';t stress out

it's jus t

. . '"no" wink
4u
All this is going to do is cause people to buy the token, log in, and keep it on in the background while they wait in arrivals til the shuttle arrives. Which is just antag fishing with extra steps.
moonjesus, jesus what the fuck no

stockpiling these amounts of spacebux isn't hard
all this would do is be old antag weighting (..but without any of the benefits it had; just the negatives of a select few always rolling antag.)
bump for consideration

Cap it at 1 antag token per 6 months or something, consider it a way for someone who hasn't played antag in months to get 1 guaranteed antag round. There are plenty of people who dont want to play antag but their playstyle doesnt rely on winning a lottery
(03-17-2021, 06:32 PM)AlyasGrey Wrote: The ONLY thing I would suggest that might work with spacebux and antags is allowing a player to purchase their preferred antag type IF the round is mixed and IF they were selected as antag.

Otherwise you're just back to weighting antag selection away from newer players, even if just at the margins, and incentivizing antag fishing players staying logged in via another window until they hear the shuttle call.

Now this, is an idea i can get behind, I haven't been wraith ever since it got reworked and I would love this