Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
[IDEA] CE can remove items from Ruck, MDir can remove genes from Gene Booth
Idk, this comes off as a way of just ruining others' fun. A ruck only generates a blueprint; you could easily take apart the manufacturers and it's useless for the moment unless someone builds a new one.

As for the gene booth - I guess it's practical, but again, muts are fun, and the gene booth is voluntary.

Granted people probably wouldn't mind a crusher getting deleted from the ruck but at the time of writing this I haven't seen many shit teletraps or crusher spam occur lately

What sounds more fun?

"oh no a player scanned a csabre" *2 seconds later* "ok its fine I deleted it"

OR

"Oh no a player scanned a csabre" *distant sounds of sec + said csabre scanner getting into a fight*

There's nothing wrong with giving department heads more responsibility/means of control, BUT we have to remember SS13 is a whacky sandbox and if we add too many ways of controlling that chaos we're just tainting the experience. IMO.
(03-19-2021, 06:03 PM)MoonJesus Wrote: As for the gene booth - I guess it's practical, but again, muts are fun, and the gene booth is voluntary.

They are not when you are trying to play security and some geneticist put reinforced hulk in the booth, so you have to deal with people trashing walls left and right.
(03-19-2021, 06:14 PM)Maegor Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 06:03 PM)MoonJesus Wrote: As for the gene booth - I guess it's practical, but again, muts are fun, and the gene booth is voluntary.

They are not when you are trying to play security and some geneticist put reinforced hulk in the booth, so you have to deal with people trashing walls left and right.

So arrest them and throw them in the brig - that's sec gameplay isn't it? Now engineers also have a problem to solve in that there's a bunch of holes that need patching.

Or have the MD shoot them with mutadone darts - this is the exact scenario that rifle was made for.

If the station had no problems and everything was hunky-dory that wouldn't be classic SS13, that'd be roleplay
(03-20-2021, 11:34 AM)MoonJesus Wrote: So arrest them and throw them in the brig - that's sec gameplay isn't it? Now engineers also have a problem to solve in that there's a bunch of holes that need patching.

Or have the MD shoot them with mutadone darts - this is the exact scenario that rifle was made for.

If the station had no problems and everything was hunky-dory that wouldn't be classic SS13, that'd be roleplay

Reinforced hulk can only be removed by stunning them and taking it away in the gene booth, or beating them into crit (I think?), Mutadone does nothing to reinforced genes. I get where you're coming from, though.
prehaps it should only effect one gene booth and one r-kit meaning the MD or Ce have to go looking around a bit (possibly putting them in danger) and could encourage setting up a secret gene booth or a hidden mechlab (or use mechanics outpost) which could be quite intresting
By the way, you can put blueprints into *any* fabricator, not just the Mechanics' one. Taking away their fabricator won't do anything except inconvenience a nerd mechanic.
(03-21-2021, 08:19 AM)Rilor Wrote: prehaps it should only effect one gene booth and one r-kit meaning the MD or Ce have to go looking around a bit (possibly putting them in danger) and could encourage setting up a secret gene booth or a hidden mechlab (or use mechanics outpost) which could be quite intresting

I would be in favor of this if we make the gene booth and ruck kit scannable. I've wanted the ruck kit scannable for a while actually but never bothered to post a thread. That would be a good balance to this I think.
I don't like this, one of the cool things about mechanics is that they scan stuff, infact for alot of newer players, thats the only job they do as a mechanic. For someone with AA to just walk in and wipe everything the departments done for the round seems bad. Also, mechanics would never be able to scan stun batons, or anything because it would just get wiped. By implementing this your just limiting an underused department.
As a potential tweak, perhaps make deleting things from the R-Kit take like a minute? It would thus be super impractical to delete everything since it'd take a while, and is only practical for use in deleting stuff like nuclear charges and stun batons.
i 100% agree with jan the number of times i have had to scream at fucking genetics over some shit they put in a gene booth is annoying like they put way to many unstable genes and i wanna clean out the machien of that
Deleting things should definitely take a bit of time, so that antagonists can't just wipe away a day's work in a minute.

It's not much of an inconvenience to other people since they're just removing problem stuff.
We could have a whitelist of items that can be deleted and include in it potentially harmful stuff like stun batons, tasers and eguns, same for the gene booth. and then also not allow for those to be deleted if the ruck/booth has been emaged, I think this could be a good feature ye, dealing with people with a lot of genes can be hard and unfun. Also, right now from what I have seen sec will acctually blow up the ruck kit to prevent stuff like c sabers from being made, wich is way more harmful to mechanics than just deleting something.
Drafted my take: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/4121

Major divergences from thread:
* Access given to heads instead of CE and Medical Director respectively.  This allows heads to manage issues if one or more is an antag, dead, not present, or AWOL.

* I don't really see the need to delete the items from the Genebooth, as Genetics can simply likely re-add them.  Instead heads can lock the gene so it does not show up in the menu for selection.  
* I don't really see the need to delete items from the rkit, as you could just rescan them.  Instead heads can lock certain items from being made into blueprints (heads can print them directly if they wish).

* Heads have the ability to delete only downloaded schematics from fabricators.
* Heads the ability to adjust the price of genebooth items.

This gives heads more control while still allowing for counterplay, be it directly antagonistic or not, by getting the appropriate access.  Changes for fabricators and genebooth are currently "distributed" to allow for secret fabricator and secret genetics shenanigans.
(03-23-2021, 03:32 PM)Azrun Wrote: Drafted my take: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/4121

Major divergences from thread:
* Access given to heads instead of CE and Medical Director respectively.  This allows heads to manage issues if one or more is an antag, dead, not present, or AWOL.

* I don't really see the need to delete the items from the Genebooth, as Genetics can simply likely re-add them.  Instead heads can lock the gene so it does not show up in the menu for selection.  
* I don't really see the need to delete items from the rkit, as you could just rescan them.  Instead heads can lock certain items from being made into blueprints (heads can print them directly if they wish).

* Heads have the ability to delete only downloaded schematics from fabricators.
* Heads the ability to adjust the price of genebooth items.

This gives heads more control while still allowing for counterplay, be it directly antagonistic or not, by getting the appropriate access.  Changes for fabricators and genebooth are currently "distributed" to allow for secret fabricator and secret genetics shenanigans.

This is significantly worse than the original suggestion. It encourages heads to pre-emptively shut down the mechanics/geneticists, instead of dealing with problems as they arise. There's a reason that sort of thing is discouraged.
PR description was vague on locking.

The gene has to be in the genebooth to be locked.
The blueprint needs to be in the rkit to be locked.

I'm missing the means that heads can block mechanics and genetics. Crew has the first move.