Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Subtle Hallucinogen
At the moment the only hallucinogenic chemicals in the game are really obvious and just there to make the screen mess up and maybe impede movement a bit. I suggest we add more subtle forms of this, ones where you wouldn't even know you'd been injected with the hallucinogen and everything you see does seem real.

For example, I'm imagining that maybe you're walking along, and all of a sudden that guy who ran past you had a radbow. Now the person who ran by was real, but him holding a radbow was not. Similarly, perhaps you'll sometimes see people spit acid, or wearing wizard clothes, yelling out all kinds of things. I imagine the frequency of the hallucinations would be based on the units of the chemical in your body. Say you have 5 units in your blood, you might see a single guy run past once with a cloaker in his hand. Comparatively, you have 100 units in your blood and everybody who walks by is holding traitor gear, yelling for help over the radio, and dressed in red space suits.

I imagine this to be something a traitor would use as a distraction. Something you can find in the traitor poison bottles or just make in chemistry. I also imagine this would replace the changelings current hallucinogenic sting because as it currently is I hardly use that, but with it acting like this I'd use it much more to distract and confuse the crew.

Of course there are the obvious problems of people beating each other to death as a result of the confusion, and how quickly it will probably be run into the ground from abuse, but I think this would be an interesting addition at the very least.
How about we have other people see your eyes flash yellow when you hallucinate? The confusion would still be there, and it also makes sure people who are being attacked know the person that is attacking them is hallucinating.
More subtle auditory hallucinations would be nice, for example hearing the Captain stammer over the radio "HHHHOOOOPPPPPPPP isssssssssss aaaaaaa tatttttor......" or MAGIC DELIGHT screaming "EI NATH!", stuff like that.
epicdwarf Wrote:How about we have other people see your eyes flash yellow when you hallucinate? The confusion would still be there, and it also makes sure people who are being attacked know the person that is attacking them is hallucinating.

That's a terrible idea. The entire point is to make it more subtle and funny. Why would you want to put a big, flashing "THIS GUY HAS BEEN DRUGGED" sign there to ruin the fun? It's much better if security breaks up a fight between two random pubbies, because each one is convinced the other was holding an emag? Why would you want to ruin that? Do you hate fun?
Captain_Bravo Wrote:That's a terrible idea. The entire point is to make it more subtle and funny. Why would you want to put a big, flashing "THIS GUY HAS BEEN DRUGGED" sign there to ruin the fun? It's much better if security breaks up a fight between two random pubbies, because each one is convinced the other was holding an emag? Why would you want to ruin that? Do you hate fun?
You seem to forget that most people kill on sight if they see someone with a traitor item. The eye flash thing would notify players that the guy trying killing them is not a traitor. Plus, the eye flash would only happen when they hallucinate.
This will make admin life so much more painful

imagine the whining between a station full of people beating everyone to death for being "traitors"
or the abuse that "but I was halucinating!!" as an excuse will bring
Weavel Wrote:This will make admin life so much more painful

imagine the whining between a station full of people beating everyone to death for being "traitors"

Yeah. This was the main reason I was hesitant about posting this idea.
I actually think a more "subtle Hallucinogen" could be a great traitor item. If not a bad idea.

the adminhelp overdose will probably be the worst part, but watching the station go crazy because some traitor chemist decided to throw some pills on the ground could be incredibly fun to watch.

You want a even worse idea.

Make it a gas cannister, that's right, giving the traitors a fear gas could probably be the worst idea.

People would probably metagame and just wear gas masks and oxytanks, but the second someone is convinced the guy wearing a gas mask has a revolver, emag, or cylume saber, the station will go down the toilet.

Subtly use one of the gas ports in one of the maintenance halls as your delivery mechanism, and no one notices (except AI maybe) until it's too late.

On the other hand, a gas canister marked "Hallucinogenic gas" is probably more noticeable then a vial of whoknowswhatium.
Weavel Wrote:This will make admin life so much more painful

I've received incoherent adminhelps that give me pause before I realize people think the messages in their heads from drugs are coming from admins
The current hallucinations could be improved a lot by removing the rainbow effect (so you don't know when you're drugged), and making the mobs that attack you spawn off screen instead of right next to you, and then run at you (without stepping at the weird diagonal angles that players can't use!)

The idea of hallucinating people holding imaginary items or different clothing is cool. If you're really drugged, why not have a chance to perceive mobs or other objects as something else entirely?
You could be having a normal conversation with someone when he suddenly turns into George, and all you hear when he speaks now is 'BARK BARK BARK BARK'.
Or maybe a traitor has placed a gibber in the hallway, but instead you see it as a perm portal or a banana peel or something.
I have a "serious paranoia" symptom coded in pathology, which makes people around you appear to place traitor items in containers, spit acid, and talk in weird syndicate code.
Marquesas Wrote:I have a "serious paranoia" symptom coded in pathology, which makes people around you appear to place traitor items in containers, spit acid, and talk in weird syndicate code.

That sounds like what we're looking for. The putting traitorous stuff into containers is a nice touch as it's obvious and very plausible.

How is Pathology coming along?
Embolism Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:I have a "serious paranoia" symptom coded in pathology, which makes people around you appear to place traitor items in containers, spit acid, and talk in weird syndicate code.

That sounds like what we're looking for. The putting traitorous stuff into containers is a nice touch as it's obvious and very plausible.

How is Pathology coming along?

Waiting for a dude brave enough to port.
Here's a (actually not at all stupid or terrible) suggestion, why not offer some pathology tests similarly to what was done with cogmap's test server.

Offer them on a occasional test server round with the address in IRC so that the level of "terrible people" stays fairly low, and get feedback about what people like and don't like.

Then once pathology is deemed "fun and not too horrid" then release it onto the main servers.

Plus while pathology is being tested it won't cause outrage with disease releases every round because people will be able to learn vaccines and whatever ahead of time. Good wiki material could be made early and it will cause less problems overall because all the good players will have abused it themselves and know what to expect. Plus if someone keeps releasing horrid stuff they can just end the test early and adjust, or restart the round.
atomic1fire Wrote:Here's a (actually not at all stupid or terrible) suggestion, why not offer some pathology tests similarly to what was done with cogmap's test server.

Offer them on a occasional test server round with the address in IRC so that the level of "terrible people" stays fairly low, and get feedback about what people like and don't like.

Then once pathology is deemed "fun and not too horrid" then release it onto the main servers.

Plus while pathology is being tested it won't cause outrage with disease releases every round because people will be able to learn vaccines and whatever ahead of time. Good wiki material could be made early and it will cause less problems overall because all the good players will have abused it themselves and know what to expect. Plus if someone keeps releasing horrid stuff they can just end the test early and adjust, or restart the round.

Man atomicfire,you never fail to be right and have good idea's
i really think this is a great thing to do and would make it so really less people could ruin everything from a little mistake and less of a chance for it to be horribly nerfed because of them.