Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Changes to chainsaw breaking and custom chains.
Right now botany chainsaws just instantly vanish after you hit something that isn't a plant enough times. This tends to be a nasty surprise for new players who don't already know about it and suddenly lose their weapon in the middle of a fight, and it isn't very realistic for the entire thing to suddenly fall apart anyway. I am thinking we should change that. 

Simple, easier-to-code option
Using a chainsaw to cut flesh too often will cause it to get gunked up with bits of tissue, jamming the chain and locking it into it's off setting. Using a small, sharp item like a knife, scalpel, or wirecutters will let you cut all the bits out, letting it start again.
Using a chainsaw to attack borgs too often will cause the chain to snap, also preventing it from turning on. Use a welder and stand still for a bit to fix it.
In both of these cases, examining the chainsaw will tell you how to fix it.

More complex option with custom chains
As before, using a chainsaw on non-plant objects too much will jam or snap the chain, but fixing it will now require removing the chain first using a screwdriver, causing the chain to drop as a separate item. Jammed chains can be fixed not only by cutting out the gunk with a sharp item, but also by washing them in a sink or by spraying them with cleaner; while snapped chains are still fixed by welding. An intact chain can be used as a weak weapon on it's own. Once a chain is cleaned or repaired, use it on the chainsaw to attach it then use a screwdriver to secure it to restore the chainsaw to complete functionality.

But that's only half of this option's potential.
Using the nanofabricator, it will now be possible to make custom chains for chainsaws, altering their stats. More specifically:
  • Material hardness detemines it's damage and chance to jam. Above 60 hardness it will never jam.
  • Material toughness determines it's chance to snap. Below 40 toughness it can snap from cutting flesh, from 50 to 69 toughness it can snap when cutting metal, and 70 toughness will never snap.
  • Radioactive materials will irradiate both the person holding the saw and the person hit.
  • Unstable materials have a chance to fall apart or (or explode in erebite's case) every hit
some examples of possible chains:
  • Botany chainsaws will use mauxite chains by default, with low damage and high jamming chance but only snapping when cutting metal.
  • Syndicate chainsaws will use carbon nanofibre chains by default, never jamming or snapping and having high damage. Other syndicate chainsaw effects, such as organ removal and stunning, will be part of the chainsaw itself regardless of the chain.
  • A plasmaglass chain would have very high damage and never jam, but be very likely to snap, even against flesh.
  • Erebire chains would irradiate you and your victim to hell and back and have a chance to blow up every time you hit something
Obviously I would prefer the more complex option but given the fact I have heard matsci code is utter hell I would be fine with the simple option as a stopgap until someone is brave enough to delve into materials code. Anything is better than chainsaws having a chance to cease to exist every time you hit something.
This is a good thread to combine with Franks idea too
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=16019
I don't think we have toughness (anymore), only hardness and density?
I wouldn't mind seeing more uses for matsci though.
i think maybe incorporating infusions by having the infusion applied to the person being hit would also be a nice touch
Yeah, any on hit traits of the chain material should be applied.
Very true bot.
Thank you bot very cool, also for those curious chainsaws no longer break and have infinite durability now.