Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What spells do you go for as a wizard?
clown's revenge. whole crew must be made into cluwnes.
I heard a few suggestions about spells, but it seems some of them are not that useful

Staff of Cthulhu: Except for corruption purposes, how is this better than laser gun/taser/stun baton/flash? Plus, if you drop the staff, anyone can steal it by pulling it behind them...

Ice Beam: Useful at first, but security will soon stock up on coffee to counteract the freeze effect. Plus, those who are hit by it become almost invulnerable from what I saw. Also, people can just escape ice quickly if they know how ( I assume they need to click resist or something)

Clown's Revenge: Hilarious spell, but has 3 major downsides compared to Shocking Grasp: (1) it takes almost twice as long to recharge, (2) the cluwns can be cloned and can operate some machines and (3) it leaves evidence behind. The only real advantage is that it leaves items behind, but if you really want an item you can usually remove it manually before using Shocking Grasp.

Blind: By the time you are next to someone, they can stun/push you down/grab you, or worse. Plus, instead of learning this spell you can just carry a stun baton or a flash instead.

Also, I heard that some items can boost the effectiveness of wizard spells. I think I heard that brain burgers improve the cooldown/effects of spells, for example. Does anyone know which items improve which spells?
Merudo Wrote:Questions

You're right! The staff isn't that great. But I believe it does make a better beatdown tool, and speedier corruption is nice.

I've never seen Sec stock up coffee. They're not that smart. Also, surprisingly few people know how to break out, and resisting isn't it. Also, the lowered body temperature is pretty crippling. And really, it's about delaying tactics.

Clown's Revenge goes off instantly, unlike Shocking Grasp. It leaves behind their items for you to steal as well, and there's no need to wait while you pry it off them. Most of the Wizard's simple stuns are pretty short-lived, and you're always on the run. Evidence isn't a problem for the wizard, the AI and the entire crew are already shrieking for your blood. Cluwnes can't talk and can barely move, so unless someone takes pity on them or they get lucky and don't trip a lot, they're not getting cloned. It's really about even power-wise with the Grasp, just depends on what you need to do. Some wizards take both.

Getting stuff like a baton or flash isn't always easy, security with sunglasses is immune to the second option, and flashes break and batons run out of energy. Blind is guaranteed to screw them up, unlike Warp which gets them out of your face but is generally only going to inconvenience them. Also, getting flashed just stuns you: blind makes you basically unable to see anything you're doing, so while you can move, you're going to be unable to do anything safely for quite a while.

At the end of they day, just pick what you like. It's not all about the optimal build.

As for my spells: Warp, Teleport, Clown's Revenge, Ice Burst. But it really depends on my objectives and what I feel like doing.
Forcewall, Golems, Ice Beam. And Soulguard.

I died horribly by lasers within a minute. Would not recommend. I'll probably replace Ice Beam and Soulguard with fireball and a staff of Cthulu. Or get shocking grasp.
Blind is amazing, actually. You don't have to be next to someone, it autotargets and hits instantly, and the cooldown is shorter than the duration. Stunlock someone forever with no chance of missing and no way for them to evade you!
Dauntasa Wrote:Blind is amazing, actually. You don't have to be next to someone, it autotargets and hits instantly, and the cooldown is shorter than the duration. Stunlock someone forever with no chance of missing and no way for them to evade you!

I went ahead and fixed the description of Blind over on the Guide to Wizard on the wiki, then. I didn't know it was that good when I wrote that page, largely because I rarely bump into a Wizard who uses it.
Thank you for your comments, Dachshundofdoom. I'll make sure to have another try with Clown's Revenge and Ice Burst. And, I'll keep trying to find the way to break free of ice.

Dauntasa Wrote:Blind is amazing, actually. You don't have to be next to someone, it autotargets and hits instantly, and the cooldown is shorter than the duration. Stunlock someone forever with no chance of missing and no way for them to evade you!

Really? Wow, I always believed Blind had the same targeting mechanism than Shocking Grasp / Clown's Revenge. The fact that it autotargets and has some range make is far better than I thought. I'm going to try it for sure next time I am Wizard.
Another question: does Blind work on Cyborgs? If so that would be a great way to take them out...