Mentor Application(Chickenish/Vode/Silent Handyman/Fernando Mortland)
Usual character name: Silent Handyman (Mime), Fernando Mortland and derivatives (everything else).
BYOND username: Chickenish.
Discord username (if you are on our discord): vode.
Recommended by (if applicable): moberry, drago, oscar, syzymo210, Arthur Holiday.
Goon servers you play: Heisenbee.

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

I've played on Goonstation Standard since Dec 2018(according to my Fish medal), and have played a variety of roles throughout my time.
The systems I have experience both in doing and teaching other players are:
1. Botany, although I only spliced to a reasonable degree, and haven't infused a ton.
2. Medical, from months of playing medical doctor and especially mime; Mime is a difficult role to survive as, as if you are playing mime properly, you won't be able to use internals(your mask isn't internals), you won't be able to speak with doctors about how you're hurt(true mimes never speak), you can't call for help(ditto), and you only have as much access as a staffie.
3. Cargo, although I mostly played back when the produce loop was a thing, I've played occasionally since, and have used  a lot of the crates.
4. Genetics, although I didn't get into the combinations, I have a firm understanding of how all the systems work.
5. Mechcomp, I have made some fairly complex machines, and have experience taking them apart as well.
6. Piping, I've loafed, I've fixed, I've even gone on an ill-advised project to try to make a loop around the entire station on multiple maps(Oshan is terrible for this, south hallway is full of pipes, so you need to either go through rwalls or ocean).
7. Cooking, I've got a bit of experience in oven use, along with fry-sci, although I haven't had experience in new cakes.
8. Construction and Repair, if you're a Mime, your lack of internals is motivating to try to fix breaches before they spread, and without internals learning how to clean up N2O, Plasma, and CO2 becomes very important, I've made computers and consoles as QM and Mechanic, I've worked as a ghostdrone a bit, I've fixed APCs, and I have a lot of experience using sheets in general.
9. Matsci, bows, spears, gloves, sheets, and more, all of that is awesome and I've worked with it from both the botanist and miner perspectives.
10. Mining, I don't have too much niche knowledge about this that isn't matsci, but I've also got the basics down pat.
11. Drink Making, I'm still not very advanced in this, but I have the basics down along with medical, and most of the chems that don't require welding fuel.
12. Surgery, I've practiced removing all the organs out of a monkey to sell to D.O.C a lot, and I know how to put replacements in without dying as well.
14. Combat, critter and otherwise, you get attacked a lot as mime(a lot of the time from people framing you), and I've put a a few days into the critterdome, along with my explorations in the Mining Z.
15. Packets, although I only have a basic level of experience myself, mentors for this are apparently in demand, so I've mentored a few people on this.
16. Telescience, although just the very basics.
17. Cleaning, I know how to clean a variety of things from gibs, sarin, and miasma, to dirty bombs and loose items.

Things I do not have experience mentoring:
1. Toxins, I was never interested, don't have experience in it either.
2. Engineering, I didn't find the engine to be my cup of tea, managed to get basic burns a few times, and I've set up solars as AI. I do have experience in candleburns however.
3. Command, I don't really play Command, too much access.
4. Security, or if I have, it was only once or twice; I've played security a bit though.
5. Being a Chaplain, Ranching, Clowning, Robotics, Artsci, or Janitoring, I've got a little bit of experience in each, but haven't really mentored it.
X. if you comment something I haven't included, I'll add it to either the "has mentored" or "has not mentored" lists.

I've been mentoring unofficially for months, and I've been told to apply multiple times over these months, but I didn't feel like doing it. The reason I've finally done it now is moberry saying, and I quote, "vode that's so much specific shit I wouldnt know unless I was a vet", and I realized that if there's anyone else that knows the niche stuff I do, there's only a few, and only a few of those would be mentors. I've helped quite a few people both in the game and in discord, and feel like it's finally time to give having a direct channel a go.

Previous bans: I used to be siliconbanned.
Yes, absolutely yes. Vode knows so much niche stuff and shares his knowledge so often it's unbelievable.
A helpful and friendly persona, very active in discord, pefect mentor material
+1
+1.

Really encouraging in all areas and loves to interweave sharing knowledge into conversations with others. Teaching is very clearly Vode's forte, I always pick up something new from them every time I interact, and Vode embodies the kind of enthusiastic helpfulness that encourages me to keep digging into this game to discover and learn more and more of the niche mechanics and things in it. I've picked up so much fine-tuning knowledge of chemistry and mining in particular just from passive conversations with them in Discord about many others things. Also is super willing to help teach new people/people new to a thing and never lets someone learning defeat themselves before they even start. Has been nothing but positive and uplifting in my interactions with them, whether it's about how to fix my gross code problems to perfecting matsci combos to how to be a Better, More Talented Mime.

I'd look forward to Vode being a Mime Mentor. A Mimetor, even.
(03-09-2021, 03:51 PM)Chickenish Wrote: Usual character name: Silent Handyman (Mime), Fernando Mortland and derivatives (everything else).
BYOND username: Chickenish.
Discord username (if you are on our discord): vode.
Recommended by (if applicable): moberry, drago, oscar, syzymo210, Arthur Holiday.
Goon servers you play: Heisenbee.

Yes! +1 Very knowledgable and has been playing forever!

erm.. if an admin could edit my quote of his entire application out.. thatd be grand..
Finally about time! I've been pushing Vode to apply for ages now! An absolutely knowledgeable and friendly peep who knows their way through code and is always happy to help and check things out. I'm certain they would make a great mentor! +1
Absolutely +1
He helped me many times and He is what made me become packet nerd. Love this guy. (Btw it's szymo210 not syzymo lol)
You can get as many +1's as and recommendations as you like, that doesn't make you not be pretty abrasive. You also kind of come off as having a lawyery attitude (Requiring proof and clarification for every single obvious detail) I'm not sure I feel comfortable with you representing the community on an official basis.
(03-10-2021, 03:41 AM)Ines Wrote: You can get as many +1's as and recommendations as you like, that doesn't make you not be pretty abrasive. You also kind of come off as having a lawyery attitude (Requiring proof and clarification for every single obvious detail) I'm not sure I feel comfortable with you representing the community on an official basis.

I mean, I think it would suit mentor, if he's not being overly invasive and aggresive. Like, he won't be giving info like "You can do that, or that, but I am not sure.", so he won't rise expectations of new players. But It's only my opinion. 
Cheers!
(03-10-2021, 03:41 AM)Ines Wrote: You can get as many +1's as and recommendations as you like, that doesn't make you not be pretty abrasive. You also kind of come off as having a lawyery attitude (Requiring proof and clarification for every single obvious detail) I'm not sure I feel comfortable with you representing the community on an official basis.

I am not able to say whether you, or anyone else, find me abrasive, as that is a subjective matter. In the case of wanting clarification to be posted, this was not for me, but for anyone else on the autism spectrum, as we don't get anything implicit without looking directly for it; what you view as obvious, is viewed by some people as being never said anywhere. In my areas of expertise, I am able to communicate smoothly and clearly; when it's something that is being discussed as something that should or should not be done, I am not mentoring, but attempting to ensure the conversation covers every reasonable possibility.
I don't think I've ever actually seen you in-game, so I don't really feel qualified to offer a firm yes/no opinion.
While I don't know Vode enough ingame, I have seen them been a great source of information and help on the Discord, which to be honest is where most of the MHelps get answered anyways.
+1
My interactions and observations of Vode have been purely (to my knowledge) on Discord.

I feel like Vode's breath of knowledge and willingness to investigate mechanics and concepts would be a boon with MHelps.  Always quick to respond and very thorough.... 

But I have to agree with Ines.  I've had a couple interactions that rubbed me the wrong way, but I don't feel it was intentional.  Regardless there is a level of restraint and softness that I feel mentors and admin should have that I feel Vode can get definitely get to, I just can't make that recommendation today.

(03-10-2021, 05:12 AM)Chickenish Wrote: ... attempting to ensure the conversation covers every reasonable possibility.
(03-10-2021, 05:12 AM)Mentor Guidelines Wrote: Mentors are encouraged to do the following:
Tailor their responses to mentorhelp requests with the goal of maximizing the player's fun.  Keep in mind it's easy to take this too far - if a player is asking about how to use the science teleporter, it would be great to mention that there's stuff out there they might want to bring friends for.  Giving them a shopping list of what exactly they should bring to handle any threats would be too much, and ruin the 'joy' of 'discovery' that comes from getting eaten by yetis because they didn't think to bring a weapon.

Mentors are discouraged from doing the following:
Answering too far past the question - let players play and make their own mistakes and discoveries.  Avoid 'backseat driving'.

The level of detail often seems more like what I assume would be in imspoilered. (Though I'm not in imspoilered and also the guy who is hesitant to add detail to the wiki because I wants people to experience discovery... so maybe its me.)
I'd like to redact the following quote from my previous post from consideration as it greatly misconstrues the point Chickenish was making as he quite was explicit about it not being about mentoring.

(03-10-2021, 05:12 AM)Chickenish Wrote: ... attempting to ensure the conversation covers every reasonable possibility.

Apologies,
Azrun
Its not like Vodes attitude is much different to any of the other current mentors.
Hell, I'd go out in a limb here that the other mentors which I would not name have a much worse attitude compared to Vodes.

Subjecting his attitude to something he did not mean to say or otherwise, convey in a specific regard rather instead of something like his clear knowledge of the game and willingness to actually help out is not the right track of going about things.
This guy done a lot for the community in my eyes, regardless, he deserves it.

+1
+1
i've rarely seen vode ingame, but they are very helpful on the discord, always answered questions quickly and thoroughly