Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Makes prodoc heart unaffected by lighting
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[qol][balance][input wanted]
About the PR
This PR puts the prodoc heart image on the overlay effects plane, which means it's no longer affected by lighting intensity or colour.

There's a few side-effects: the hearts will display over other sprites like shrubs and trees, but they also can't be targeted to attack the associated mob anymore.
(There's no way to make them lighting-independent without showing through in one way or another.)
[Image: 110329712-43830900-801d-11eb-99ff-087f2201d77d.png]

Why's this needed?
People tend to complain that coloured lightning fucks with doctors especially on this point, and I think those two don't need to be in conflict. I think the accessibility/qol benefit is more important than prodocs showing people hiding behind large sprites.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)BatElite
(+)Prodoc hearts are less affected by coloured lighting.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Will that mean that the hearts are visible in complete darkness?
Yeah that sounds like a good bootleg thermals alternative if you can see them behind bushes and in darkness
Seems like a good change on paper, but it would make prodocs reaaaally strong. Prodocs and sechuds (if the person has a status set) are already super strong for spotting people that are trying to hide.

Might need to rethink this one, imo.
I don't really see the need for this change at least i haven't had much of a problem seeing people with prodoc. and as sord mentioned this could be op against antags trying to hide in darkness.
I figured there'd be issues with it.
One thing I could do is vary the heart's transparency with how lit the area is
There's a few other problems in turn though:
-Still shows through trees
-Unaffected by simple lights, so flashlights can't help in the dark here.
-The heart updates with the life loop, so there's a delay
-space isn't lit (which is an easy fix but presumably there's more weird cases)
[Image: MxWXVLo.png]
Let me know if that's any better, but I'm not sure if it is all that easy to salvage.
Oh yeah that's pretty good.

I don't think there's an easy fix for trees but you could potentially block it on shrubs in the same way flashers detect they are behind a shrub.
That looks nice.
The only issue I had with this one seems like its been fixed.

Good faeture

Also I don't think it matters much if it shows through trees since it does that already.
(03-10-2021, 10:38 AM)Technature Wrote: The only issue I had with this one seems like its been fixed.

Good faeture

Also I don't think it matters much if it shows through trees since it does that already.

Yeah, I mean, if it can read someone's vitals you could probably just write it off as it picking up vital signs there
Hmm anyway we can make it so you can see critters vitals too?
life loop can be subject to some rather significant delays from the self slowing on high pop, and being tied to RL I'm thinking that this isn't going to be a very good user experience when mixed in with fullbright turf, ambient lighting, and SM lights