Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remove/revamp the Bridge Alert Button and rework Stationwide Alert
Yeah make it so security ID cards CANNOT be changed via the HoP and only upgraded via the alert system. Might cause some problems but its worth a try.
Add an alert system in the HoS's room, the armory and on the bridge that way some crazy captain can't just lock down the bridge and make it so you can't set the alert.
Question is who can set the alert? Only the Captain, HoP, and HoS?
I was thinking, maybe we should limit it to three codes

Green/Yellow - Normal
Red - Heightened Threat Response
Orange - Heightened Threat detection

Press the button to go to Red Alert
Press it again to go to Orange Alert
In Orange Alert, it eventually times out and goes to Yellow unless the button is hit again. Green can never be returned to, but is more or less functionally the same as Yellow

Another idea I was thinking of is having certain status effects come up during orange and red alerts. A main one would be inducing a negative status for the person that presses the button that induces paranoia and panic so they would have to weigh that cost before deciding if pressing the button was worth it.
Hey, I love the idea of the change. I personally would like minor tweaks and stuff, but having more structure for alerts and when to go "oh shit wait that's REALLY bad" sounds great for making fun scenarios and rounds to look back on. It gives a lot more opportunity to create a cool situation, since sometimes it's just not really easy to make a fun gimmick go over well by yourself.

One thing I think could use a bit more clarity is the Orange > Red, because yellow and orange seem really similar in structure and the immediate jump to oh my god we cannot contain kinda threw me off. I think just some minor tweaks to how each alert functions would fix that though, so it's really not a big deal since I agree with the framework of the suggestion completely. Although I don't like Security retaining medical access. But I also know it's kind of inevitable unless we give security their own miniature medical centre inside their department, cause how else are they gonna get medical supplies? Hold Cargo at gunpo-.. ah damn.

Basically, I love this suggestion.
Maybe an alert system similar to Star Trek's could be implimented? The basic ones are
Red alert (condition red) - critical situation, denoted by flashing red warning lights and audio alarms.
Yellow alert (condition yellow) - elevated alert
Blue alert (condition blue) - environmental, docking/separation, or landing alert

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Alert_signal
I love Star Trek. And it's a good naming scheme, the first one I reached for actually. I am not sure if Red Alert is used in real life navies. I'm pretty sure that the US and Britain at least both use "Action Stations" or "General Quarters" when in combat. I'm not sure what the difference is there, but that's what playing World of Warships has taught me. And those sound good to me as well.

Well, actually the average person is probably less familiar with those terms than "Red/Yellow alerts" it would probably be best to use that for clarity.