Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CLOSED PR] Removes additional access given HoS and Sec Offs on the RP servers.
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
Removes the additional access HoS and Sec Offs get on the RP servers

Why's this needed?
It seems counter-intuitive to just give Security more access, actively discouraging interaction and just lets Security barge in wherever they please. As far as I know, this also isn't information that's listed anywhere.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Carbadox
(+)Removed the additional access HoS and Sec Offs get on the RP servers.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
As someone who doesn't play RP, has the extra access caused problems?
To my knowledge it hasn't created many problems from what I've experienced and I use the extra access to go directly into departments when I'm trying to question people, which seems like it makes "lore" sense that I'd be allowed to do that kind of stuff? I only have some problems still with security officers that blast botanists and run into medbay, but they've got the access to do all that without the additional RP access. This just seems like it would make it harder to get to interactions like getting testimonies and statements, but if it's been a significant problem that I'm just missing and people are abusing it, then sure.
Honestly I'd rather give the HoS the extra access they get on RP on main.  Manually adding everything is a pain.
How about making the alarm at the bridge increase and decrease the access level of Security Officers? This way you not only give the stationwide alarm a more meaningful use, but you can change the access levels of the security department when it's necessary to do so.

That being said, i haven't personally seen many issues with our current situation, given that RP is pretty forgiving when it comes to punishing traitors on a regular basis.
Alternatively, what about giving security more access if the server population is low, so they don't have to track down someone that has access?
I'm conflicted. On the one hand, officers and HoS don't need the extra access and it does decrease the number of hiding spots and usefulness of breaching tools on RP, but on the other hand nerfing a role that's already under heavier scrutiny on RP and forcing the captain to play sec cap on lowpop rounds is unhelpful. There's too many ways this will change the average round for me to have an educated opinion until I see it in action.
Sec being bad with access is more a rules/ RP rules issue. The only real difference is tox. I know the list is massive, but almost all engine cores and engineering areas you only need engine access to get through because of how the doors are arranged.

Breaching tools wouldn't even get used that much on RP because the AI will generally open doors for sec without a second thought.

And I agree with the take that main HoS should get AA from the start too.
I have never seen the extra access be an issue, and I don't think simply making security have to ask the AI every time they need to get somewhere, is a good way to encourage interaction.
Expanded security access was originally pushed back when the RP server was perpetually lowpop enough that you wouldn't ever be guaranteed a living head of staff or AI to open doors for you. Morty basically exists in this state still unless there's an event announced. Does Sylvester have problems with sec officers' additional access during midpop/highpop?
I don't really play RP, but I've never heard of this being an issue on the RP servers. Where'd this PR come from? It makes sense security having extra access. They're corporate security. They should be able to get into most areas other than heads quarters and the like.
(03-02-2021, 10:06 AM)Sord213 Wrote: I don't really play RP, but I've never heard of this being an issue on the RP servers. Where'd this PR come from? It makes sense security having extra access. They're corporate security. They should be able to get into most areas other than heads quarters and the like.

Then why doesn't security on Main have this access?
(03-02-2021, 11:45 AM)RGBDeadSilent Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 10:06 AM)Sord213 Wrote: I don't really play RP, but I've never heard of this being an issue on the RP servers. Where'd this PR come from? It makes sense security having extra access. They're corporate security. They should be able to get into most areas other than heads quarters and the like.

Then why doesn't security on Main have this access?

My guess would be you're more likely to be downed and have your ID stolen as Sec in main?

I do like the idea of the alarm changing Sec access levels
Yeah alerts changing security access would be nice feature on both servers. Though make sure HoS/security know you can't just go in and set highest alert at round start for instant access.
I have also never seen this be an issue, personally on main I've had issues helping people being attacked or killed due to lacking that extra access or getting away from an lack of air or major threat. I see literally no reason why this would be a good idea as it just makes it harder to do your job with little benefit. Although I am an HoS so I do have an inherent bias.