Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eyepatch rework
why do eyepatches just block of a side of the screen? it seems weird to me, because no matter what direction you face the eyepatch blocks off the same section. id like it if the eyepatch sight block was directional, and the actual amount of screen blocked was reduced, because as it is now, its a bit ridiculous.
If you want to wear an eyepatch just to look cool, you can use a screwdriver on it to poke a hole in it and let you see normally.
(02-26-2021, 12:41 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: If you want to wear an eyepatch just to look cool, you can use a screwdriver on it to poke a hole in it and let you see normally.

oh, thanks for telling me, but doing this i did discover another issue. if you poke a hole in one you cant flip it around (at least heirloom ones). also my point still stands that as is, its a bit wonky.
I gotta agree that eyepatch and eye loss vision effects are pretty meh. Even total blindness lets you see the area nearby
I think this should have a discussion about.

I feel the way the eye patch works is...silly. You effectively lose half of your screen to be able to click on, which is a weird way to go about it because, One, being blind in one eye just doesn't work that way (Here's a fun experiment. Place your hand flat in front of you, thumb facing you, so that each eye sees either the palm or the back of your hand. Make sure your hand is at a comfortable distance from your nose (i.e., you don't see two right or left hands). Close one of your eyes and see how close to the "center" of your vision your hand is without moving it, and see how much you can see past the side of the hand you can't see. Keep track of objects nearby, so you can more accurately see just how much only one of your eyes can see.) and, two, the vision is taken as if the players eyes work from above them, somehow implying that people can see perfectly either East or West and not at all in the other direction.

There's no way to realistically represent the lack of a single eye due to the top down nature of the game. I think then that the best way to go is to simply reduce the number of tiles the player can see. Make their screen see the game screen similar to how the game looked before the HD screen overhaul. You can make the tiles they wouldn't be able to see act as if they're behind a wall too. This way, the player is at a disadvantage compared to someone with undamaged eyes while not being so debilitated that someone who knows what side their eye is gone from can just walk up and slice a limb off without fear of retaliation.
I mean it works the same way as losing one of your eyes.
As far as video games and losing an eye works the best game Ive seen that replicates it is MGS3 when SPOILERS FOR OLD GAME Snake gets his eye shot out and then after that when you are in first person the side of the screen he lost his eye on is kinda fuzzy and blacked out. Its not the whole side of the screen but a part of it is gone and the other eye still works fine.

[Image: Mkdc5bW.jpeg]
(02-26-2021, 12:41 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: If you want to wear an eyepatch just to look cool, you can use a screwdriver on it to poke a hole in it and let you see normally.
that uh.. actually pokes your eye out.. really useful for eye replacement surgeries!
(02-26-2021, 10:50 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I mean it works the same way as losing one of your eyes.

[Image: Mkdc5bW.jpeg]

That works fine for a FPS, where you see from the person's own sight.

It makes less sense with a top down perspective, especially with a camera that doesn't rotate.
You can make the hole while the patch is in your hand. No need to harm yourself. :o

On a side note, I think stabbing your eye out with the eyepatch method should be much worse for your health. AFAIK it's a lot quicker and safer than proper eye surgery right now.