Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CLOSED PR] Merge Engineer and Mechanic access
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[input wanted]
About the PR
Merges access between Mechanics and Engineers.
* Implications to RP rule 7. Stay in your lane.
* Engineers will have immediate access to Mechcomp items [balance]
* Mechanics will have immediate access to gases. [balance]

A slow boil until we can embrace #1304. Sorry if this feel like a rehash, but I feel like it worth revisiting.

Why's this needed?
Tools available to Engineers and Mechanics allow them relatively easy access to... everything. This allows them to access each others departments freely.

I think the differentiation between the Engineer and Mechanic is really interesting in regards to theme, starting equipment, and goals. There is a lot of overlap in duties and this should help facilitate that, especially in low-population situations.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Azrun
(*)Engineers and Mechanics now share access to the same areas.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I think engineers should have access to mechanics but not vice versa. A relatively low access and irresponsible job like Mechanics shouldnt have access to plasma, CO2 and similar.
I should have stated this in an earlier thread, but I think both jobs should have access to the ruckingenur side of mechlab. Construction kinda sucks since you either don't have easy access to building mats (mechanics) or the ability to fill those rooms you can build with functioning equipment (engineers). Leave the engine/solars to engineering and packet/mechcomp nerdery to mechanics. That would primarily require mapping changes though. I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Question: what would both these jobs' "lanes" be if this gets merged? Having access to somewhere implies you're justified doing work there.
Hard no.

I don't want mechanics raiding the supply storage even faster than they already do and I don't want the engineers goofing off instead of actually powering the station.
I'm a mechanic and I don't like this from either perspective.
As mechanic part of my job is keeping our giant supply of greytider equipment out of their hands- this is already a struggle with three people having access. It's also a small lab, and adding five more bodies to make toys in it feels painful.

And as an engineer, I know if I had the access that I'd make toys instead of repairing the station. The engine is also more hands on these days, a whole crew can be necessary to sit on it and work in it to do powerful burns. This could give me a staff shortage .

Engineering and Michanic fit really different niches, I'd like to see Engineers start getting more atmos stuff to assist in repairing the station instead- send PDA messages from the air sensors to engineers and give them better tools for repressurization.
Most mechanics I’ve ever come across are up to no good. Most engineers I’ve come across actually want to do something that is useful rather than build meme machines and break into EVERYWHERE. Atleast most engineers will have the decency to fix the doors they hack. Okay so maybe I’ve had too many bad experiences with mechanics. The role could use some improvements to make it synergise more with engineering before it would ever make sense for them to have the same access. Perhaps the TEG and other engines could get special mods and improvements that only mechanics can craft? A lot of fancy computers in engineering, how about give mechanics more of a chance to have to work on them, it’s a volatile environment, let those mechanics give engineering some swag watercooled PC’s so they can get accurate readings and computers not exploding and shutting down, engineers can handle the majority of issues that require percussive maintenance and mechanics can get more technical with the machines. As it is, you’re a mechanic, the barkeep calls you and tells you their microwave is broken, you have absolutely nothing else to do beside building death traps everywhere (or making TTVs in engineering now that you have free access to the engine), that call isn’t going to be so fun in comparison, unless mechanics can offer you MORE than just a fixed microwave, what if the mechanic has a range of interesting upgrades that they can work on for a range of appliances. Now they’re less inclined to make the station their gigantic experiment and have more incentive for working on things that will improve or add a bit more fun to the station, a bit like how every botanist is going to want a mechanic around to hack their vending machine, what if there were more variants on electronics in the game that would have other departments wishing there was a mechanic around so that they can get their fancy upgrades. Mechanics could be like geneticists but for appliances, give the appliances testing procedures, explosion! Give the appliances randomised safety ratings, more explosions! EXPLOSIONS!!! Only then they will be worthy enough to bask in the glow in the engine room and cuddle with the singulo.
lol i made this pr a while ago and no one liked it either. rough
I personally don't think it would be that big a deal since any engineer or mechanic that wanted to could easily break into either location, but it's not any hill I'm going to die on
Na. They are separate jobs for a reason. If you combine the jobs access you might as well just have engineers and remove mechanics altogether.
(02-26-2021, 08:18 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Na. They are separate jobs for a reason. If you combine the jobs access you might as well just have engineers and remove mechanics altogether.

Isn't that the point? The "about the pr" section mentions an older pull request to merge the two. I have to imagine this is just to ease into that process rather than doing it abruptly.
(02-26-2021, 11:27 PM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 08:18 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Na. They are separate jobs for a reason. If you combine the jobs access you might as well just have engineers and remove mechanics altogether.

Isn't that the point? The "about the pr" section mentions an older pull request to merge the two. I have to imagine this is just to ease into that process rather than doing it abruptly.

I don't like that end goal either.
im just gonna plug in here that ruckingenur (where tf does that word even come from?) kits should be scanable/reproducible
(I think it's German for reverse (rück) engineer (ingenur, which seems a misspelling of Ingenieur?))

QM can buy rückingenur kits if they have a bunch of money, but I like the idea of them being more easily available. A different but less rework-every-map way of making construction more feasible. Might make the one at the mining outpost less useful though, bless that thing.
I feel like I can see the both pros and cons to this, but I have a couple of issues;

1) I can see mechanics raiding engineering stockpiles more often than they already do (I mean, even if they don't get access, they just break in regardless).

2) Engineers getting into mechanics makes more sense, especially with the ruck kit, but I can imagine engineers getting bored and doing mechanics stuff instead of paying attention to the engine and letting it die by omission/using mechanical wizardy to break it even further (if that's even possible)
On top of ignoring the engine, I can see engineers ignoring station repair requests harder than they already do.

Which would be impressive, but please no.