Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
prevent roundstart arts on station z-level from being bombs
See title.  The announcement has helped a lot, but there's still inexperienced people doing artsci and we had a round recently where a power sink drained the power at the exact moment a massive artbomb was activated, resulting in a 10 minute shuttle call on account of not being able to space it in time.

I feel like it's a good compromise to allow for artifacts to still blow stuff up while making it less likely they'll blow stuff up early on in the round.
I think they're rare enough that they shouldn't be removed; it's hilarious when it happens. Part of the chaotic nature of the game
Na it's funny.

THOUGH I can see it not being funny to antags for that round. Dunno how to fix that.
(02-25-2021, 10:01 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Na it's funny.

THOUGH I can see it not being funny to antags for that round. Dunno how to fix that.

Ive only seen like maybe 2-3 art bombs in my time playing SS13 but don't they give off some kind of extremely loud audible warning? And the fuse is usually pretty long afaik
I'd say make this change exclusive to the RP servers. On Main, rounds are often short enough to the point where artbombs are just another one of the many things that'll end a round quickly, except only if nothing is done about it, so it isn't really an issue there.

However, the RP servers' rounds last about two hours on average, and artbombs are a fantastic way to just ruin peoples' plans and the round's potential. Station-wide or even just department-destroying devastation just isn't fun in a gameplay setting where you're more oriented towards player interaction than game mechanics.
Come on, you have a whole 2 minutes until they explode, even if the power is out (which would be pretty darn rare), you should be able to find a crowbar in that time?
Also, in my experience even the big artbombs aren't even that bad that you wouldn't be able to rebuild, if you really wanted to, unless you're on atlas or something, so I feel people are sometimes a little hasty with shuttle calls just because something blew up.

Anyway, I don't see how restricting it to off-z-level-artifacts would help, most stations start with like 2 artifacts, usually you have those analyzed by minute 5 and then the rest of the artifacts will be obtained from other z-levels.

In my opinion, a power sink does way more to disrupt a round permanently than an artifact bomb does. Now *there's* a reason to call the shuttle.
I think they should be kept is VERY funny when one gets set off super early although shitty for antags. One round on manta and a sci didn't know what art bombs were and with in 6 mins had set off a massive one destroying half the station warenting a shuttle call less then 10 mins in just to find out nukies were here and had to rush planting.
(02-25-2021, 01:25 PM)rando212 Wrote: I think they should be kept is VERY funny when one gets set off super early although shitty for antags. One round on manta and a sci didn't know what art bombs were and with in 6 mins had set off a massive one destroying half the station warenting a shuttle call less then 10 mins in just to find out nukies were here and had to rush planting.

I was one of those nukies. Fell into the trench trying to even get there. Would not recommend
(02-25-2021, 01:25 PM)rando212 Wrote: I think they should be kept is VERY funny when one gets set off super early although shitty for antags. One round on manta and a sci didn't know what art bombs were and with in 6 mins had set off a massive one destroying half the station warenting a shuttle call less then 10 mins in just to find out nukies were here and had to rush planting.

That makes me wonder: what happens in a nuke round if the target room gets completely destroyed by a large bomb before they plant?
I believe the target room just means the specific area.

If the kitchen is destroyed, planting the nuke where the kitchen used to be would be enough in other words. Good luck finding that when your only reference point is space.

Feel free to correct me though.
I think there might be some weird system for extending rooms when more stuff is built? But not sure, maybe I just imagined that. But yeah, I think that is basically how it works?