Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taser SMG is OP
Range should be far less otherwise it's too easy to get people who are sprinting away with. The shotgun was fine because it took relatively good aim and a bit more skill to use but this is just far easier to use than the regular taser and arguably a lot more effective.

The sec pop has been pretty high lately and I think with NTSO's as well the recent sec additions have been overkill.
Taser SMG while on full auto mode already has lower range, its bolts deal less stamina damage than any other weapon. At point blank range it takes around 6-8 shots to drop someone with full stamina. At max range it takes more than 10. The one job I specifically tailored the taser SMG for is taking down targets that are low on stamina and dodging.

Taser SMG is actually all around worse in most use cases. On full auto, if you're trying to hit someone at max range (8 tiles) you'll miss half your shots because of the spread, but you'll drain over half of your power cell to take one person down unless they are low on stamina. On burst you get more power (but still less than a taser shotgun or taser in general) and accuracy but only get a total of 6 bursts. And it takes 2-3 bursts to drop a full stamina target.
in case you aren't aware, the NTSO role is ONLY AVAILABLE to join if there's already a HoS present in the round. NTSO has also seen a nerf to its access in the past month or two as well. Shotgun really doesn't take aim? Just point in the general direction and click, closer the better. Finally the SMG for a sec officer alone with no other ranged stuns is perfectly fine IMO. the SMG takes like 3-4 bursts to down someone, or like 12-15 projectiles in full auto, and eats up charge quickly in full auto. It also has the shortest stun of any projectile stun weapon available from a sec token, being around like 6 seconds tops if you're hit twice with no stamina, otherwise like 3-5 seconds, not even counting for armor, so the ability and timespan to follow up with a baton stun is very short and far more difficult. I could be wrong on some of these numbers, but I'm sure Sord is probably able to provide more accurate numbers.

All in all the recent changes are some that I think sec had needed BADLY. The old taser/baton combo has been around forever and is just kind of stale IMO, so having the SMG, shotgun, and wavegun are very welcome options IMO, as well as the barrier providing a way to change the dynamic of firefights. Although I'm all for buffing security even more or even swapping stuns out for more lethal options, maybe even making the armory far more lethal in its capacity.

EDIT: Also as Sord said, the SMG is outright worse than the other ranged options in most cases. I personally take it to use because it's fun spraying a few dozen projectiles at someone.
(02-24-2021, 03:41 PM)Sord213 Wrote: At point blank range it takes around 6-8 shots to drop someone with full stamina. At max range it takes more than 10. The one job I specifically tailored the taser SMG for is taking down targets that are low on stamina and dodging.

On burst you get more power (but still less than a taser shotgun or taser in general) and accuracy but only get a total of 6 bursts. And it takes 2-3 bursts to drop a full stamina target.

My argument for the low-stamina job of the taser smg being OP is that you'll easily catch up/stay in range of anyone running who will already have pretty much 0 stamina from sprinting.

It's not about hitting people with full-stamina taking half a clip, because hardly anyone running from sec will have full stamina, unless on meth or stims etc...

(02-24-2021, 03:46 PM)Drago156 Wrote: in case you aren't aware, the NTSO role is ONLY AVAILABLE to join if there's already a HoS present in the round.

Which means 90% of the rounds, there's an HoS, and a NTSO.

it should be a late-join based on how fucked the station is, not something that lets another HoS whitelister play their alpha class.
(02-24-2021, 03:55 PM)MoonJesus Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 03:41 PM)Sord213 Wrote: At point blank range it takes around 6-8 shots to drop someone with full stamina. At max range it takes more than 10. The one job I specifically tailored the taser SMG for is taking down targets that are low on stamina and dodging.

On burst you get more power (but still less than a taser shotgun or taser in general) and accuracy but only get a total of 6 bursts. And it takes 2-3 bursts to drop a full stamina target.

My argument for the low-stamina job of the taser smg being OP is that you'll easily catch up/stay in range of anyone running who will already have pretty much 0 stamina from sprinting.

It's not about hitting people with full-stamina taking half a clip, because hardly anyone running from sec will have full stamina, unless on meth or stims etc...

(02-24-2021, 03:46 PM)Drago156 Wrote: in case you aren't aware, the NTSO role is ONLY AVAILABLE to join if there's already a HoS present in the round.

Which means 90% of the rounds, there's an HoS, and a NTSO.

it should be a late-join based on how fucked the station is, not something that lets another HoS whitelister play their alpha class.
I have started playing main as sec and from the past couple days there has rarely ever been ntso its not even the most common to get a hos. As well as i have been using the taser smg and i miss A LOT of shots even at close range because of the spread as well as even when someone drops they only drop for a second at most so its still hard to get a baton off. Not to mention the heavy power cell drain this to me kinda feels like a knee jerk post with how many sec have been using smg.
It just seems to me that you're complaining that a sec weapon is...filling the exact niche it was made to fill.

The weaknesses of the weapon have been listed multiple times. Focus on dodging more than sprinting away if you see the weapon again and you'll probably be downed that much less often.
While I don't agree that the Taser SMG is overpowered, I do agree that security is stupid strong now. First of all, having more flexible loadouts is a small buff, but one that shouldn't be overlooked. One of the new roles, security assistant, allows forĀ 3 more security on station. With a full security team, you have 5 security, HOS, NTSO, and 3 secass's. that is 10 security, without even including vice officers. While secass aren't overpowered, the fact that they do have sec comms, means there's 3 more security eyes on the station, with decent weaponry without eye protection.