Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unique Map Goals
Something I think could be a fun thing is having maps have unique goals for the crew to work towards, dependent on map theme.

For instance, Manta is a Sub armed with torpedoes, clearly they are looking for an enemy to shoot. Maybe you could actually find a boss monster and kill it? There could be steps along the way like moving the sub around to find hints or resources to recover from smaller engagements.

Other maps could have a goal like trying to establish an off world colony, find sunken treasure, or build a machine using rare mining materials. The more completing a goal involves effort on the part of every department the better.

Completing map goals would be optional, and you'd probably just get some extra spacebux and medal/job rewards for doing them as opposed to having it do something like end the round, but I think it would be nice to have a target to aim for when it comes to doing job role related activity and something specific a traitor can work towards sabotaging.
I like this idea, Wonder if itd be possible to code it
(02-21-2021, 06:32 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: For instance, Manta is a Sub armed with torpedoes, clearly they are looking for an enemy to shoot. Maybe you could actually find a boss monster and kill it? There could be steps along the way like moving the sub around to find hints or resources to recover from smaller engagements.

Maybe this could be a boss of polaris! and the only way you can fight it is with manta's torpedos..
It's definitely not a bad idea, but I feel it should probably be something that would have to be activated in some way by multiple players.

This way you don't have one guy surprise grief the entire station in some outlandish way and people won't be taken by surprise via random event.
(02-23-2021, 08:44 PM)Technature Wrote: It's definitely not a bad idea, but I feel it should probably be something that would have to be activated in some way by multiple players.

This way you don't have one guy surprise grief the entire station in some outlandish way and people won't be taken by surprise via random event.

Yeah, multiple steps that would require department specific interactions.

Stuff I can think of would be mining having to cut a path through rock or get a specific material, engineering getting a recovered machine running, medical and science researching recovered materials, security clearing out hostiles. Something that requires about 10 minutes or so of commitment from any single area so you don't have to spend the whole round at it but can help carry the torch.

It doesn't have to be action packed either. Could be having NPCs come by and just do a tour of the station and you win if they survive the whole thing
This immediately reminded me of: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=13758

I feel like getting player engagement might be more feasible in RP, but I'm a sucker for the possibility of inter-department cooperation.

I'm not really familiar with the random event system but it seems like maps having special events that are triggered/unlocked by certain department actions could evoke this. Player objectives could push them "remind" them that these are important for the map.

Visual novel routes and choose your own adventures come to mind. Beautiful flow charts of possible story experiences.  Some nodes are conflicts, some reward, and some are a continuation of the "narrative".  Might help with some shifts ending with "Nothing is happening and it's been 60min". Maybe could be a "Delay that shuttle call! Our hellburn has caught the attention of some eldritch entity we must investigate! For science!".

I think the difficulty lies in crafting activities/experiences that people want to engage with after they have done it 2, 20, or 200 times. As suggested in the other thread and I agree, looping in antagonists is a great way to get that excitement going and keep it fresh.
The main unfinished manta plan was to have manta being chased by that big robotic octopus. Where it would appear and attack the ship if its propulsion went too slow. But it never really got to the point that it was worked on. Well, the robot octopus had sprites and shit, but not the code stuff.
instead of reposting my thoughts, I'll just link: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=13758
(03-01-2021, 07:34 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: instead of reposting my thoughts, I'll just link: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=13758

Yes very much this. I think another avenue to go down with antag involvement would be to give them goals where it's in their interest to participate and help with the station mission, to a point at which their goal becomes attainable.
Event system has hooks already to allow for chaining (at least altering the probability) events as well as specific preconditions.
Can query the map or features of the map as part of that.

Much like most of what I feel are great ideas, the framework or a similar mechanic already exists. Classic Goonstation.

Seems like something the community could help contribute to (outlines -> sprites, scripts, code -> PR). Getting early admin/dev feedback as a vibe check would probably be important, as these are alsi great way for staff to help create more curated round experiences (admemes).