Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Morphine nuts need a nerf.
As of right now, you can fit 164 morphine in one peanut. This is an absurd amount, and if you eat it you will be knocked out for 20+ minutes. Additionally, you can force feed them to people. The only way you can notice someone feeding you one is if your actively looking at your chat log, which is hard to do 100% of the time while doing your job. You can see how this really needs a nerf.
kneejerk thread, eh?

you can do the same with a morphine pill or what not. Sounda to me like this is potentially an issue with either morphine or force feeding, more likely the latter but probably neither.
(02-20-2021, 06:08 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Sounda to me like this is potentially an issue with either morphine or force feeding, more likely the latter but probably neither.

Just add a progress bar to forcefeeding so you can see when someone is trying to do it.
(02-20-2021, 06:08 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: kneejerk thread, eh?

you can do the same with a morphine pill or what not. Sounda to me like this is potentially an issue with either morphine or force feeding, more likely the latter but probably neither.

Pills cap out at 100u and, since they dump the whole quantity in at once, can be reliably flushed.  With food the most you can do is feed them space ipecac and hope the vomit procs.
That's not true, you can also just swap out the stomach^^
The station also has a limited supply of morphine, since you can't create it with chemical recipes. Morphine nuts completely go around that, and can be mass produced, in basically an infinite quantity. and with what Zjd said, Morphine peanuts can easily knock out half a station, have fun replacing 20~ peoples stomachs.
I'm going to assume "Morphine Nuts" is some new botany thing? If thats the case then what about all the other things you can make in botany and force feed people? If something CAN be done to harm another spaceman it WILL be done.
it's literally just morphine spliced with nuts with high potency, I assume. Just don't let weird people feed you weird stuff and you won't have any problems, lol.
(02-20-2021, 06:08 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: kneejerk thread, eh?

I think it's forcefeeding. That could definitely me made harder to do. Maybe it should require aggressively grabbing someone? You are, after all, attempting to physically force them to consume something.

Resisting during it could also cause you to bite their hands or something.

I agree that feeding someone something bad is too powerful for how quickly it can happen.

I dunno I find calling this knee jerk a little dismissive and amounts to telling someone to "git gud" in response to bad game design
Adding an action bar to forcefeeding/applying a patch/injecting someone is probably a good idea.
I agree with the action bar thing.
If the problem is you can't reliably see when someone is doing the bad thing, just nerf it by making it so you can reliably see when someone is doing the bad thing so they have to find a way to prevent you from doing anything first instead of stealth feeding an entire room of people.
164 units does sound like a lot. I'm surprised a food item would hold more than 50. Being equivalent of a patch or standard beaker sounds about right to me.

But making force-feeding more obvious seems like an appropriate action.
(02-21-2021, 06:36 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I dunno I find calling this knee jerk a little dismissive and amounts to telling someone to "git gud" in response to bad game design

Knee-jerk threads result in people misunderstanding the core issues at the root of a problem. You and I both agree that "morphine nuts" were not the problem here, and implementing some specific kneejerk solution of "nerf morphine nuts" wouldn't actually be the right fix.

Yes, it was dismissive. No, it isn't telling people to "git gud." This thread missed the core problem behind the frustration because it was more concerned with being posted as quickly as possible rather than examining the game design behind the frustration. It would have been much more effective if more care had been taken in exploring the second half of the post, about force feeding, and less with reacting to specific inciting gameplay.
(02-23-2021, 05:14 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 06:36 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I dunno I find calling this knee jerk a little dismissive and amounts to telling someone to "git gud" in response to bad game design

Knee-jerk threads result in people misunderstanding the core issues at the root of a problem. You and I both agree that "morphine nuts" were not the problem here, and implementing some specific kneejerk solution of "nerf morphine nuts" wouldn't actually be the right fix.

Yes, it was dismissive. No, it isn't telling people to "git gud." This thread missed the core problem behind the frustration because it was more concerned with being posted as quickly as possible rather than examining the game design behind the frustration. It would have been much more effective if more care had been taken in exploring the second half of the post, about force feeding, and less with reacting to specific inciting gameplay.

That's a good point and I'm glad you agree about the dimissiveness. The "git gud" part was directed towards another post, and I probably could have been more clear about that.

I dunno, I feel like knee jerk tends to carry this negative connotation. While the OP might not have gotten to the heart of the matter, it recognized that something was off and started a discussion that is leading to a greater understanding of the issue and working towards how things can be improved for a better experience, and I'm glad they made this thread.
Quote:I feel like knee jerk tends to carry this negative connotation.
There's a reason for that.

It tends to mean someone reacted immediately to something bad happening and, instead of going about it and thinking how they could prevent the bad thing from happening or even think of if it's a necessary bad thing that could feel less terrible, they went for the most obvious part of the bad thing and said that that is the problem.

A carefully thought out response after tripping a claymore mine in a game would be to see if there was another way around to where the person was trying to go, or to try to find similar mines while they're playing from then on.  A kneejerk reaction is to say the mine is bullshit and should be removed.