HoS application - Maegor (Igor Bones)
Usual character name: Igor Bones as Security
BYOND username: Maegor
Discord username (if you are on our discord): zandsk#3832
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Morty and Sylvester

Reason for application: Because I noticed having a HoS improves security a lot, both as an officer and as a HoS during Fridays. Maybe its just knowing you have someone you can trust with the authority to overrule any mistakes you make, even if you don't really commit any. Furthermore, since you have authority over them, officers tend to respond more to the HoS, which may lead to an habit they keep in other rounds, even without one. Being HoS also means people will listen more readily when you call out bad behavior, such as being too harsh on someone just because they are an antag. 

Security experience (300 word minimum): I have been playing sec for a long time, as I always found an interesting role and a great role to RP. I am not great at RP with other roles, as I sometimes end up staying isolated, but with sec I am forced to RP, with the crew, my teammates or any antags, which I think is a good thing. Speaking about RP, interacting with a crew is something that has made many otherwise boring round on the sometimes slow RP servers, fun. 

When I'm playing an officer I try my best to make it fun for everyone, so petty crimes will usually go with a warning and ticket or some minor brig time for repeated offenses, which I think provides minor consequences that they might want to avoid by being more sneakier next time. How I deal with an antag depends a lot on how they are antagging, a silent murderer or a bomber (generally anyone who doesn't try to interact with the crew or sec or makes a plasma fire in the medbay) will get treated much more harshly then someone who tried to create an interesting story, whether they succeeded at it or not. Also, unless someone is being a real pain in the ass, like a changeling constantly making vain attempts to escape a 3 minute brig while not interacting at all with sec, as I prefer to never resort to executions. 

I don't consider myself a very robust player if I see I am outmatched I will run away tactically retreat and regroup, however this hasn't really been an issue in all my rounds as sec, as a coordinated team, due to the power of friendship, usually goes farther then a lone supercop. I know however how to give myself a leg up if its extremely needed, whether it is by taking some drugs, asking the geneticist for genes or the roboticist for cyber upgrades. Speaking about coordinated sec team, I always try to communicate about what I'm doing and why, so they can assist me.  

Finally, I know when to stop playing sec. Security can be a very stressful, so I only play it if I am in the mental state for it, and if a round is being particularly stressful, I will usually go into cryo, as playing it when you are stressed is a recipe for disaster, likely resulting in bad interactions, both for the officer and the crew. 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? 
  1. Communicate with your team, talk about who you are chasing and why. Nothing worse than arresting someone another officer marked for arrest, not knowing why and being ignored on the radio
  2. Label your pinpointer, your stuff may get stolen, and other officers can use these to find you
  3. Don't take things personally, you will be insulted many times, but don't let it get to you.
  4. Know when to play security and when to stop, it can be a very stressful job and as I said before, it won't go well for you and those you interact with. 
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? Its nothing particularly great, as I have shit memory for rounds and can't remember stuff unless it was extremely memorable, but one round I was a latejoin antag, and I had the idea to booby trap telesci and lure the sec team there. The explosion was far stronger then what I had anticipated and security didn't fall for my fake death, but I was arrested later on and aside from stuff getting confiscated, I was let go after the brig. This was fun because I had gotten tired of playing antag only to be executed as soon as my status was discovered after some minor crimes, and gave me motivation to play antags more often. 
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? A way to easily remove genes from the gene booth, because sometimes geneticists sell SMES and Hulk and a crew with those is bound to be stressful. Another things is a tracker pinpointer, so that tracking implants are more useful, since without a HoS, officers generally can't use the teleporter to find them. 
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13. 
    Smart officers must
    Communicate with their team
    Lest devoured they be
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? I think it could be fun to stage my own kidnapping as HoS, and observe how the security team works to save me, and evaluate them afterward. 
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): Banned almost 5 years ago by Haine, as a very new player, due to uploading a bad law to the AI.
I've now had a few rounds with Igor, most of them with him as an officer and one or two times with them as HoS. I really enjoyed the times I had him as HoS, he did everything by the book and was very professionnal. This made the round much more enjoyable for everyone in the sec team. The times I've played with them as officers were also good, and he does well the part of being an active member of the team.

In my opinion it's clear the he would be a really good fit for HoS, with the experience he had already with the role, and his proficiency as a sec officer.

+1
a security officer I love to see - thoughtful and fun play, I reckon you'll continue to do great +1
I have had nothing but positive experiences with Igor on the team, either as an officer under me or the couple times I have played with them as HoS on mentor Friday. Communicates well and seems confident and competent!
+1.

Igor is alway the one who catches me up when I'm on a team, though I haven't played with Igor as HoS on Fridays. Great at communicating on Sec Freq and through less conventional means. Also takes responsibility and leadership for some of the more grueling off-station and more involved Sec chases and things.

An additional bonus when I play with you is that you know when to put your foot down on stuff. I'm a little lenient, so it's always nice to have another officer who's willing to level with me and offer different options for consideration when it comes to punishments! I appreciate that you call it like you see it and reason things out and then stick to those decisions. I respect that tremendously even if I'm not 100% on board with every decision, and will follow that lead from a HoS or senior officer granted they explain their thinking on why they came to that decision (which you do dutifully).

You also never let any of your team go alone! Had a good round where you joined me on a trip to suss out the Space Diner when I would've otherwise gone solo; there ended up being like 5 people there and we all got blown up by a fuel tank together. :+)

Could it be? Skeleton HoS?
I've had absolutely nothing but positive experiences with Igor and would love to have a skeleton HoS!
+1
The one time I remember him being the HOS, I was a spy thief who got a mind slaver and used it on the NTSO to force him to arrest you, that lead into a station wide chase that was a lot of fun to play out and I hope was enjoyable for you as well,

over all in this problem I had set up for you, you did very well with the curve ball I threw at you.
+1
Congratulations, the admin team has decided to accept your HoS application. (Though if you ask me, it ought to stay up a little longer to get some more feedback, but there were enough admins who vouched for you that I could be comfortable with you getting HoS.) Hope your kidnapping gimmick goes well.