Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[PR] Alphabetises letter component in book/vendor
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[cleanliness]
About the PR
~~Adds a 1 second delay to mechcomp teleporters activating. This is my first time introducing a `SPAWN_DBG` so hopefully it's in the right spot.~~

This PR moves the letter display's position in the mechcomp book and vendor under the LED component because as a general rule both of those are alphabetised.

Why's this needed?
Helps peeps find stuff easier

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Okay. I think teleport components shouldn't have a delay.
A delay would limit their usefulness in other mechcomp contraptions that aren't deathtraps. Personally I see no issue here, it's not like those things are invisible and you have no way to avoid them.
And imo to be consistent, you'd need to add a delay to hand tele portals aswell. People will always run into them without thinking much, so they're as deadly as mechcomp teleporters
i don't think hand tele portals should be subject to similar changes - they are limited in their lifetime, triggered directly by another player, and they they also have a far greater visibility than the mechcomp version (they have a huge sprite, stay on top of clutter, are bright blue and emit light)

EDIT : seconding my post on the github thread i think it would be good if this was converted to action bar timer, and the delay period actually only needs to be some fraction of a second (prob like 0.1-0.5s) for the intended effect i think
I agree that this mostly just limits their usefulness in contraptions. Players also aren't smart and will probably give up in half a second and assume the teleporters are just broken.
(02-18-2021, 09:27 AM)TTerc Wrote: A delay would limit their usefulness in other mechcomp contraptions that aren't deathtraps. Personally I see no issue here, it's not like those things are invisible and you have no way to avoid them.

What sort of applications are you thinking of? I'm mostly aware of personnel teleporters and the ones where they teleport a thing back to a graviton to launch it back down the hall again. Neither of those require much timing I think.

I think the preferred way to do teletraps is to hide them under doors. There's not much time to react there and stopping for each door just in case isn't how anyone plays.

---

Teleporters still light up and make a noise, and IIRC working ones emit particles too.
Yeah i dont think this should be merged, Telecomps are incredibly usefull in bunkers and similar, and adding a delay would make them more annoying to use
In the past, I have created some bunkers that I could run and yell a code PDA messaged to me to escape persuers, or even trap a persuer in it for a 1v1. With this change you can no longer "Pull a fast one" on people, and generally mechcomp would just be alot worse to use. Popular loafer designs would break and tele traps would be impossible to make, basically making antag mechcompery impossible.
what teleports need isn't a delay, but to be made impossible to hide. right now you can take a picture of a multi-tile object like a tree or the smelter and use it to cover up the teleporter completely. that needs to be changed.
I believe we should try giving the MechComp teleporter a more visible sprite, or perhaps a particle effect on the tile it is placed on, so it's easier to spot them in the middle of a hall.
(02-19-2021, 07:31 AM)getbrecked Wrote: I believe we should try giving the MechComp teleporter a more visible sprite, or perhaps a particle effect on the tile it is placed on, so it's easier to spot them in the middle of a hall.

I like the idea of a constant particule effect