Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Blacklist explosives and beakers from the teleporter without emagging it.
Right now if you are a nukeop or blob and some turbonerd starts teleporting TTVs and hellsmoke beakers on top of you there is literally nothing you can do to counter it. Make it so if you try to send a bomb (pipebomb, single tank bomb, TTV bomb, or canbomb) or a beaker through the teleporter it will trigger a safety override and refuse to send it, but emagging the teleporter will disable the override and allow you to send any of the aforementioned items through. This way we no longer need to worry about nerds cheesing nukeop and blob round from complete safety but traitors can still telebomb the station if they feel like it.
tbh, I don't really like this. Blob nuclei are already teleblocked, I believe, and nukies are mobile, so they can just walk around and be difficult to accurately hit. Also, teleporting explosives at the nuke has a high chance of also hitting other crew instead, so a normal crewmember usually can't do it anyway.
Plus, if you really think it'll be a problem, you can always send someone to blow up the mainframe.

In addition, the emag really already does plenty of things.
(02-13-2021, 01:50 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: tbh, I don't really like this. Blob nuclei are already teleblocked, I believe,

Okay. What if they teleport it onto a random wall in the same room as your nuclei?

Quote:and nukies are mobile, so they can just walk around and be difficult to accurately hit.

It's a fucking BOMB. You don't need to be accurate. As long as your within nine tiles when a TTV goes off you're boned.

Quote:Also, Teleporting explosives at the nuke has a high chance of also hitting other crew instead, so a normal crewmember usually can't do it anyway.

In my experience admin enforcement of turbonerd collateral damage has been severely lacking. I have ahelped after a scientist set three people on fire hellsmoking a blob and seen that player as scientist again the next day.

Quote:Plus, if you really think it'll be a problem, you can always send someone to blow up the mainframe.

So basically you have a part of the station you *have* to destroy every nukeops round or else risk getting murdered by teleporting hellsmoke? Also, this doesn't help blobs at all.

Quote:In addition, the emag really already does plenty of things.

Alright, that one is a good point.
If we blacklist beakers people will use drinking glasses. If we blacklist those people will use burritos with explosives injected into them. If we blacklist those people will just make a monkey drink the reagents and teleport that.

Similarly with TTVs and oxygen tanks. We'd have to make it so all gas tanks are stripped from you when you teleport.

Also nuclei have a radous in which they teleblock iirc. If it's small we can increase it.
(02-13-2021, 02:17 AM)pali6 Wrote: If we blacklist beakers people will use drinking glasses. If we blacklist those people will use burritos with explosives injected into them. If we blacklist those people will just make a monkey drink the reagents and teleport that.

Similarly with TTVs and oxygen tanks. We'd have to make it so all gas tanks are stripped from you when you teleport.

Also nuclei have a radous in which they teleblock iirc. If it's small we can increase it.

You can't put igniter assemblies into drinking glasses, burritos, or monkeys.

And the main problem I have isn't people bombing/hellsmoking antags in general, but doing it from complete safety. If someone teleports into the room with the materials to assemble a bomb and puts it together on the spot I'm fine with that cause they actually have to put themselves in danger.
Pyrosium + oxygen is an igniter in liquid form.

Idk, I don't exactly like people teleporting explosives like this either but a blacklist is a heavy-handed solution if it's a solution at all.
(02-13-2021, 02:34 AM)pali6 Wrote: Idk, I don't exactly like people teleporting explosives like this either but a blacklist is a heavy-handed solution if it's a solution at all.

What do you propose as a solution then? I have other ideas but this was the least extreme one
(02-13-2021, 02:23 AM)Lord Birb Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 02:17 AM)pali6 Wrote: If we blacklist beakers people will use drinking glasses. If we blacklist those people will use burritos with explosives injected into them. If we blacklist those people will just make a monkey drink the reagents and teleport that.

You can't put igniter assemblies into drinking glasses, burritos, or monkeys.

And the main problem I have isn't people bombing/hellsmoking antags in general, but doing it from complete safety. If someone teleports into the room with the materials to assemble a bomb and puts it together on the spot I'm fine with that cause they actually have to put themselves in danger.

if you cant build a self detonating monkey bomb are you really a scientist?
I don't propose any solutions, I'm just saying that I don't like blacklists like this.
Hmmm how about making armed nukes and blob nuclei work like teleportation jammers that can be found in certain areas in debris? I don't personally see the issue in what you brought up but I think it'd be a better solution than blacklisting things from being teleported
I really dislike this approach of removing/blacklisting stuff because Turbonerds abuse them. I think a syndicate tele blocker that could be deployed would be a more sensible idea, allowing the Ops a way to counter the teleporter.
Yup, blob nuclei have a radius around which teleportation is blocked. I could see giving nukies a teleblocker to deploy, or just making the buke have a radius around it too that teleblocks, that sounds alright to me!
Teleblocking the nuke does make the "seal it in with a bunch of walls" strategy significantly more savage, as now you have to go and break those walls down. Currently the cheese counter (teleporting someone on top of the nuke to hit it) to cheese (surrounding the nuke in walls) is a nice balancing factor.

I do want to drill in on this bit real quick:

Quote:I have ahelped after a scientist set three people on fire hellsmoking a blob and seen that player as scientist again the next day.

There's so many factors to consider in adminhelps that expecting someone to be job-banned when you adminhelp is a terrible stance to take.

I agree with Pali that blacklisting is either just encouraging people to find creative, non-blacklisted methods to do it (in which case it's simply a newbie-only blacklist), or so overzealous that you're ruining a bunch of other fun interactions for the sake of preventing the possibility of teleporting something "bad".

I will say that people teleporting explosives onto nuke ops is probably bad and should be adminhelped when you see it, in the same way that we discourage explosive use against antagonists in general due to the vast amount of collateral damage potential.
I thought nuke was already teleblocked?
(02-13-2021, 04:15 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I thought nuke was already teleblocked?

nope, teleporting onto the nuke and unscrewing it when nobody is looking is a time honored tradition. I was originally thinking of suggesting that we just disable teleportation around the nuke but as mordent said that would just lead to ops surrounding the nuke with rwalls.