Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bring back Ass Day
Tongue 
Im sure there'll be divided opinions about this

Hear me out, somebody just got banned because apparently the entire server at one point agreed to have an assday. I'm sure there were a few players who disagreed but it sounded like the majority was for it. Apparently the Captain & AI encouraged it and the security team at the time hopped on board as well. I was perma'd almost a month ago for playing with bombs as a non-antag ironically on the 13th of the month, but that's all i'll say about that. So now you know i'm credible.

When Assday DID exist, eventually players got tired of it, and the lawlessness died down A LOT. Unwritten rules not to fuck with eachother took effect and correct me if i'm wrong but this is why assday was removed/reimagined to begin with.

Regardless I think we need assday so that players can blow off steam, safely play with bombs and other dangerous shit that they can get banned for and that way it's fun for everyone. It's one day.

I'm also going to throw a controversial opinion out here and say that we should have a 3rd server with no gameplay rules (obviously the meta anti-grief/bigotry still in place). I guarantee it would end up like assday eventually did; only a few people actually causing shit while everyone else goes about their business with a sort of tribal justice taking place.
I have only had 2 times to play in a assjam day but i would definitely say it was some of the most fun times i had and i genuinely miss some of the maps like fleet and destiny even if they weren't chosen that often the chaos was always fun. I would love to see it come back.
Heck no.
I dunno about any of the other stuff you said but I do agree that Ass Day was probably my favorite day of the month and I'm sad it's gone.
Never again. Never EVER again do i want to see ass day. It sucked a lot to play with the intense griefing to the point that the servers suffered heavily from population issues. It would be best to let it stay in the grave than to dig it up.
Bring back assday, roll in assjam, and have it as its own separate, permanent server.
From my understanding ass day and later ass jam only ever affected the main server, never overflow or RP. If people didn't like it during the last months leading to its removal, they still had the opportunity to just not play on the main server, and go to the overflow or RP servers instead.

That said, ass day/ass jam I would relate to poo, it was interesting while it was around but it really shouldn't ever be brought back. I would however be totally for a construction server being made, but that's not really a discussion for this thread.
I just have a little comment on that "Controversial Opinion"

Like, i know that the no bigotry rule would exist, but hopefully the rule about erp would stay too?
From what I remember during the final few ass jams when it was only on overflow, I noticed the population significantly INCREASED as opposed to decreased. Ass day in general probably doesn't need to return as it got boring fast and it's negatives definitely outweighed the positives. Ass Jam was supposed to be both a game jam type thing for wacky code inclusions and a day for lots of admin shenanigans, but not nearly enough happened during either so it was just in a grey zone where nothing particularly exciting was happening and the code was just in a bad place so it was cut. I'd love for ass jam to return as a more dedicated admin shenanigans day, but it seems pretty unlikely.
(02-11-2021, 06:24 AM)Pestilancer Wrote: From what I remember during the final few ass jams when it was only on overflow, I noticed the population significantly INCREASED as opposed to decreased. Ass day in general probably doesn't need to return as it got boring fast and it's negatives definitely outweighed the positives. Ass Jam was supposed to be both a game jam type thing for wacky code inclusions and a day for lots of admin shenanigans, but not nearly enough happened during either so it was just in a grey zone where nothing particularly exciting was happening and the code was just in a bad place so it was cut. I'd love for ass jam to return as a more dedicated admin shenanigans day, but it seems pretty unlikely.

+1 to this
Just seeing the title for this convinced me the people on this server don't know what they want.

I would like ass day back, but not only do I understand why people don't like it and don't want it back, I don't know if it'll even get me off of the RP servers anyways.
Nah.

If I remember correctly, each assday caused a significant and lengthy drop in the playercount.

An admin with access to the actual metrics can probably elaborate
I understand why people don't want them back, but I think it's worth considering that the schedule for Ass Jam doesn't have to be consistent. One method would be to announce an Ass Jam in advance once the staff has enough round gimmicks and joke updates to make the day interesting throughout. This would also reduce burnout if Ass Jams were every couple of months or so.
ass day/jams kinda sucked imo. like the idea is neat i guess but like. its fun for a few players at the expense of everyone else on the server. and that sucks
(02-10-2021, 04:15 PM)MoonJesus Wrote: Im sure there'll be divided opinions about this

Hear me out, somebody just got banned because apparently the entire server at one point agreed to have an assday. I'm sure there were a few players who disagreed but it sounded like the majority was for it. Apparently the Captain & AI encouraged it and the security team at the time hopped on board as well. I was perma'd almost a month ago for playing with bombs as a non-antag ironically on the 13th of the month, but that's all i'll say about that. So now you know i'm credible.

When Assday DID exist, eventually players got tired of it, and the lawlessness died down A LOT. Unwritten rules not to fuck with eachother took effect and correct me if i'm wrong but this is why assday was removed/reimagined to begin with.

Regardless I think we need assday so that players can blow off steam, safely play with bombs and other dangerous shit that they can get banned for and that way it's fun for everyone. It's one day.

I'm also going to throw a controversial opinion out here and say that we should have a 3rd server with no gameplay rules (obviously the meta anti-grief/bigotry still in place). I guarantee it would end up like assday eventually did; only a few people actually causing shit while everyone else goes about their business with a sort of tribal justice taking place.
That was me who got banned, and don't get it twisted. It really wasn't as many people on board as I first thought, so please don't get the same bright idea i had. As for the original proposal I think Ass day was kind of a nuisance sometimes. as some days you just want to play a few normal rounds only for it to be an entire day to meme rounds. I think i prefer the memes sparsely sprinkled in every now and again. MAYBE if it was a once a month event I'd be fine with it. 

Also I feel like a low rule server like you're proposal would either 1. Fade into obscurity as a gimmick as 90% of players just try it out for 1 round and then leave, or 2. Becomes so different from the normal servers that it splits off and develops its own codebase.