ftlaudeye (Gober Kurfaus) HoS App
Usual character name: Gober Kurfaus
BYOND username: ftlaudeye
Discord username (if you are on our discord): ftlaudeye#5135

Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: RP1 (Now Goon 4 RP: Sylvester)

Reason for application: I’ve been considering applying for HoS for a little while now and feel I finally have enough experience to have a shot at it.  It looks like a fun job where I can much more easily help out security and the rest of the station.  I’ve seen that there is rarely a HoS on, even though I have been seeing more recently.  I was hoping I have the experience to provide one.

Security experience (300 word minimum):           
I have had a decent amount of security experience over the months, I have played a lot of sec, and I’ve been playing it more recently then ever.  I have always enjoyed security from the start but have been appreciating it more and more as time goes on.

The two most important things I have found playing as security and for what I have seen for HoS is communication and leadership.  Provoking communication within the sec team can be hard, especially if you have people who do not watch comms.  However, if you succeed in it, it makes the situation 5 times better and enjoyable for everyone.  I always try to keep people talking on comms, check in frequently, ask how everyone is doing etc.  You can turn ‘shitsec’ into ‘supersec’ real fast by improving communication.  The next thing is leadership, if the security team needs someone to rely on, I try to be there as much as possible, regardless of the situation.  I love introducing new recruits to security, even though I rarely get to do it.  Providing guidance to more inexperienced players and discussing things as security is also especially important to me.  If I am unsure about how to deal with a situation, I’ll ask the rest of sec and see what they think.  I also like to make sure most of sec is scanned and have their disks in sec.  (Safety First!)

Antagonists are the primary driver of rounds, so it is important for security to act responsibly, as instantly destroying all the antagonists is no fun for anyone.  When I play sec, I try my best to make sure that everyone is having a good time, including antagonists.  Catch an antag early?  Let them go with their PDA, maybe space the changeling, perhaps exile the vampire, doing things like this makes the game more interesting and does not cut people’s antag games short.  {#antagsarepeopletoo} I generally find fun out of roleplaying situations regarding captured changelings and vampires, as there is much that can happen in these situations!  I find the only situations where execution is needed is with silent-murdering antags, that do not do anything to contribute to roleplay.  However, I have actually never had the need for executions.  I always try to keep the punishments fair and related to the crime, perhaps a hard talking to will suffice in some situations.  Always brigging people for everything is not the answer.  (And boring)

I like to think that security serves the crew of the station, as security and the crew should be on the same side.  Especially for RP, I only use the force that is required for sec, excessive use I feel takes value out of the RP. 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
-          Stay on comms!!!  From my experience, this is the most important thing to do/get used to.  Good communication is the foundation of a good and well-coordinated security team (PDA messages too!) and helps to prevent serious mistakes.  The last thing you want is to brig someone twice for the same thing, or mistake the jailbird for the person who bombed medbay.

-          Give antagonists a chance!!  It is important to not want to get rid of antagonists, as it stops the main driver of rounds.  If you think they may be a traitor/spy, maybe don’t take their PDA, or at least put it in a spot where they may be able to break in/steal it back.  Remember, you practically end an antags round when you take it and don’t give them a chance to get it back.

-          Use the flash!  I see so many secoffs who do not use the flash, it is nice if a beating is not required! 

-          Write tickets!  Tickets are a great way to brush off something minor, such as public urination and jailbirds running from you. 

-          Talk to your prisoners!  It’s boring in the brig, so if there’s nothing else going on, maybe talk to them about revising their life choices.  Be sure to keep brig times reasonable too.  Don’t be upset because they are yelling ‘shitsec’ or were beating you earlier.  Stay fair!

-          Procedures!  Never take someone headset when you brig them, unless they are being unreasonably obnoxious in comms.  Don’t just try and strip them when you take them in.  (This is rare but I still see it once in a while) Before an arrest, double check and ask questions.  Make sure you have everyone’s side of the story before you act.

-          Never underestimate the power of raising your eyebrows! 

• What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) 
This was a very long time ago, so I probably (definitely) have some names wrong or people in wrong places.  I would say maybe about 3 months ago, I was in a round where Rico Geravo as HoS, and we had a team with me and 3 other security officers, one of them being a monkey secoff.  At about the 100 minute mark in the round, great confusion set in on the security team as we suspected the HoP of doing some bad things (which I forget what they did).  Around this time Gunnar (Maybe someone else I’m not entirely sure) came in as a NT SO.  He was getting ready and checking on AI as things were rapidly collapsing.  The radio and comms began to explode as I had practically no idea what was going on, but I met up with Rico near the command sector (on cog 1), and we walked near the HoP desk, the monkey secoff ambushes us from the courtroom knocking Rico to the ground, I respond with my own taser shots disabling the monkey and quickly taking him in to the brig.  As I return, I find Rico and Gunnar standing near HoP also trying to figure out what is going on, this is close to the time where another secoff ambushes us and is quickly dealt with as well.  I don’t know what happened to the HoP but the human secoff was taken on the shuttle, and we were so close to missing it I had to just let the monkey go so we could get there on time.  As for the third secoff, who knows what happened to them.  All of this chaos unfolded very quickly and close to when the shuttle arrived.  Even though I didn’t know what was happening half the time, Rico, Gunnar, and myself were the only security members not actively trying to revolt by the time we got on the shuttle.  This is the only security mutiny I have witnessed firsthand, and it was very fun to deal with at that.  If I recall correctly once more, filled with some very good RP!  I think this is a good example of good security, as the non-revolting sec members pulled together and had everything handled by the time we arrived at CentComm.  (Not with much help from me though :p)
            Another amazing round I had was a few days ago, where there was some awesome RP with a changeling, being played by Fleur.  A lot of the time was spent talking in sec, and if I recall correctly Fleur was changing between the ling and actual Fleur.  (While slipping out of handcuffs and freaking out sec) and we ended up spacing them near mid round, where they returned later.  I was in and out of playing that round due to some irl things but was a lot of fun nonetheless!  (It was also hilarious to see everyone keep exactly one tiles distance from the ling at all times) 

• Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
If I am the only secoff, and there’s not a captain that’s involved a whole lot with security, there is little communication aside from some exchanges between me and the captain.  All of my communication takes place between me and the crew.  I am generally a lot more interactive with other members of the crew because I am not occupied with talking with members of sec, if I need information or evidence, I will go to the crew first (obviously if there is no other sec).  When it comes to actual gameplay, I am a lot more passive and careful because I cannot call for backup regarding any situations. 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
We cause problems,
 then run away,
 the Nanotrasen way
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
I have always been interested in cuffing a crimer to a chair in a public place (for a somewhat serious offense) and encouraging people to throw vegetables at them medieval style.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):  None that I know of.
Ftlaudeye is super cool to have on a Sec team and knows how to keep things calm, so this is a solid +1 from me!

Gober is always attentive to all communication paths when I play with him and acknowledges me/any messages I sent, either on PDA, comms or whenever he runs into me in-person, which I appreciate a ton! I've also been able to observe or play tons of rounds with Gober, so experience shouldn't be an issue at all. He's been a key piece of Security teams since October and only occasionally pops over to MDir; otherwise, he has an incredible persistence in Sec and a very good temperment, playing back-to-back rounds, sometimes infuriating ones, and never wavering from rolling Sec the round after with a collected head and fresh batch of patience! I've also seen Gober playing Security on the more populated RP server, but have run across him from time to time on the low pop server too, so I have a ton of faith that Ftlaudeye is well-versed in some of the nuances and differences between the tempo of slower low-pop rounds and the fast-paced 50+ people rounds on RP, and can bring fun and balance to any kind of RP atmosphere.

I think you took a break from Sec, and then I took a a break from Sec like right after, so I haven't played as many rounds with you recently as I'd have hoped to and don't have a ton of really fresh experiences I remember; but I know from my experiences from the Fall that you've consistently been quick to respond to and resolve anything reported to Sec, good on communication and shown that you listen to all channels, and very fair in arresting and coming up with punishments. This is unversal through all the rounds I've played with you and speaks to your general character and personality when playing Sec. I did have one pretty good round the other day on Security with you; we did have a HoS who had to leave early who I enjoy working with a lot and is good about comms and having a good disposition in the face of pressure; you not only were given the Designated Cool Coat, but readily took up the mantle of being a leader but still including the team and upholding the high communication effectiveness and camaraderie we had. You work really well and compliment a lot of already good Security players but still have a power to organize at the level of the leader for the team, and kept enthusiasm up during that round, which might've otherwise been slow or dropped off after HoS had to step away and the rest of the round was a little quiet.

Your Sec fashion is also super neat; hopefully the wardrobe is enhanced with the beret and coat. Your segway driving skills have also considerably improved.  smile 

I'm only really surprised you waited so long to apply! You've been so good at Security for so long!

I just wanted to clarify, I said he's been "a key piece of Security teams since October"...for me! I'm not sure if you've played longer than that, but you're one of the earliest and most consistent people I can recall in Sec!
+1, too tired to write an whole thing again, I've seen him a lot and hes always really helpful and helps people learn.

(02-08-2021, 08:58 PM)Drewmajor11 Wrote: +1, too tired to write an whole thing again, I've seen him a lot and hes always really helpful and helps people learn.

Should've mentioned, hes generally a good sec off as well, fair and helpful as well as not letting power go to his head. I felt the need to add this cause I replied like it was a mentor app lol.
A well written app from a consistently solid SecOff. Gober is responsive, communicative, shows tenacity in tough situations, and can be relied on to be focused on the mission and RP while on duty.

I fully trust them and Sylvester would too.

+1
Gober gave me a solid first impression the first few rounds we have played together, he is responsive and likes to communicate with the team, it's a nice Officer to have on the team as you can rely on him to help you out. That being said I wish to play more rounds with you so I can give my final score.

So I feel this post is to show that you can look forward to having more people give you feedback on your application. Keep up the good work!
So after playing a few more rounds with you, on both sides of the coin as an officer and antag i can put doubts to rest, and decided to give you a +1 for your application.

It's always nice to have you on the round, so best of luck to you!
+1 +1 +1 +1

Gober has consistently been one of my favorite officers to see due to his calm demeanor, fun antics and extremely fair judgement. I always know I can trust him fully no matter what since he's extremely happy to roleplay and communicate. Always on comms, always happy to team up, always doing his job to his very best. Ticket supreme, even tickets himself.

But he should really ditch the segway.
I've seen you around a fair bit. You know what you are doing, possess good communication skills, are fun to interact with, write excellent tickets, and consistently keep a level head when things get heated (a very important trait for a HoS to have, imo). So I’m confident you can be trusted with the beret.

But if I see you on a segway again I’m knocking you off of it. +1
(oh shoot I thought I had commented on this already, MY BAD)

Gober is a great officer, very dependable and reliable, and always participates with RP. I'm always glad to see him on my team, and I look forward to seeing him with a beret too!

+1 for winter coat Secoff fashion!
i had some shifts with gober today, they had great communication and treated all the antags well and was respectful to then, was also fun to work with, we had to spilt up and go after two different antags and they did a great job catching them and communicating on radio, they are a great officer and have good team work skills would make a great hos

+1
Gober Kurfaus is a name I immediately recognize when I join as sec and I'm always glad to see him. He's reliable, efficient and fair.
He's good with comms an when I see him join he gets up to speed real quick and is a great help.

+1
Always love to see Gober in the ranks! Very fun to play with, knows when to let things slide and when to put their for down.
+1
Congratulations, the admin team has decided to accept your HoS application. You will soon be able to tactically retreat and pelt crimers with vegetables as a Head of Security.