Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Makes ghostcritters able to be picked up
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[FEATURE]
About the PR

Ghostcritters can now be picked up! Simply click on one with grab intent and you'll put it in your hand.

It works by stuffing the critter into a dummy item that looks just like it and passes attacks through to it.

Critters can struggle free of being held by switching to a non-help intent and either moving or pressing resist. Struggling does some stamina damage to their holder, and they'll be let go if it goes below 75% of their max stamina.

The non-insect critters have in-hand sprites, too.

They can't be placed in backpacks or storage containers, but they do fit in pockets.

Why's this needed?

Trying to work in atomizing my fuckhuge heckPRs.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Superlagg
(*)You can now pick up ghostcritters by grabbing them!

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Oh god yes, I want to throw cockroaches and mice at the janitor and ask him what the hell they're doing on my station.
I'm okay with this PR in general, but I know it stems from an original and larger one to make people able to eat critters, which is something I am deeply, deeply disturbed by. If this stands alone, I think it's actually pretty cute to pick up critters and put them in pockets and on back slots--mentor and admin mice do some of this anyways!

But I don't like the idea of going down the path of having players being able to eat other living critter players or living critters in general, especially if they're other living critters that are able to struggle and stuff while they're being grabbed. It's too visceral and freaky for me. Sorry.

I think this PR is good on its own as a standalone, though.
(02-08-2021, 11:09 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: I'm okay with this PR in general, but I know it stems from an original and larger one to make people able to eat critters, which is something I am deeply, deeply disturbed by.

What the absolute fuck

E: oh god it's real: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/3619
(02-08-2021, 11:09 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: I'm okay with this PR in general, but I know it stems from an original and larger one to make people able to eat critters, which is something I am deeply, deeply disturbed by. If this stands alone, I think it's actually pretty cute to pick up critters and put them in pockets and on back slots--mentor and admin mice do some of this anyways!

But I don't like the idea of going down the path of having players being able to eat other living critter players or living critters in general, especially if they're other living critters that are able to struggle and stuff while they're being grabbed. It's too visceral and freaky for me. Sorry.

I think this PR is good on its own as a standalone, though.

That's gross and hope that's not true, I'm honestly already weirded out by the organ eating thing of lizards, since when you think about it, it's basically cannibalism.
(02-08-2021, 11:20 PM)Roomba Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 11:09 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: I'm okay with this PR in general, but I know it stems from an original and larger one to make people able to eat critters, which is something I am deeply, deeply disturbed by.

What the absolute fuck

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
We don't need to let past ideas haunt new refinements.
I like Nef's imagination.
I would put critter pickup on GRAB_KILL instead of GRAB_PASSIVE because I'd still like to be able to ride a cockroach or suplex a mouse
(02-09-2021, 09:03 AM)KikiMofo Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 11:20 PM)Roomba Wrote:

What the absolute fuck

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay yeah it is pretty fucked up now that I think of it. Would it help if you'd needed to kill it first before you can eat it?
I wish to pick up the boogiebot and shove it in my pocket.

i am entirely against letting people vore  eat critters however.

Edit: Edit: maybe lizardpeople could eat dead mice..?
Love this PR, hate the bigger PR about eating the critters.
Personally, I second MBC's suggestion. Don't need to have picking up replace the suplex, grab-throw, and other grab-intent interactions for ghost critters.

I don't see much of a reason to bring up an pull request that has already been closed. The "pick up and eat critters" PR has already been rejected for many other reasons: too big for the intended goal of making lizards able to eat dead critters, there are much simpler ways to add said ability, kinda unintuitive, creates a huge "design debt" to cover the possible interactions between grabs and critters that hasn't been fulfilled (youch, you eat a pikalia and your mouth is a macerated! ow, I picked up a snake and it almost bit me!), and generally kinda messy. I'm of MarkNStein's mindset about the matter; to me, this is less an older PR split into smaller ones and more a refinement occurring in piecemeal, though further criticism is valid. Simply put, I don't think "pick up and eat critters" is going to happen, and I don't think this PR is trying to go down that path.
I just wanna follow up and say I'm sorry to Super for bringing up the old PR without understanding the discussion and the ways this new one was meant to move different ideas forward. I like the idea of toteable critters; I know there's some comments on the implementation of it, but I think having critter friends join on space adventures could be cool. This might also help with either hiding critters to help them if people are trying to kill them for no reason, or being able to grab critters while removing stuff from them (cockroach with the stolen Spare ID) without having to kill them to get the things back.