Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lets talk about the c-saber's deflect ability
The current version of the deflect ability is as such -

Only prerequisite is to be holding a c-saber, no special Sith/Jedi clothing required
100% chance of deflect from every direction, even behind
No required timing, only need to be blocking by pressing Z
No stamina drain on a successful block

None of the above points are balanced in any way, not to mention this is all top of an exceptionally strong item.

To me, this feature only makes sense to be tied to the Cyalume Knight thats in the code. Otherwise I see no reason for this to just be readily available to anyone holding it.
I think a big part of it's deflection ability is forcing people to engage with up close.

I'd like a better defensive option for engaging in melee with a c-saber wielder. Buffing Sec barriers to absorb more saber damage would be nice, maybe a midrange option like pepper spray that could confuse and blind an unmasked opponent

I'd also like some kind of way to build d-Sabers and make those things capable of clashing with and blocking c-sabers. EDIT: After checking, they do indeed already do this and only lack availability outside of gang.

Like a SS13 version of Vibroblades or High Frequency Blades
Question. What does the Csaber deflect? Taser shots? Bullets? Thrown objects? Everything?
Only projectiles afaik
(01-31-2021, 09:06 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Question. What does the Csaber deflect? Taser shots? Bullets? Thrown objects? Everything?

Yeah my counter to this as sec would be to use a flashbang. Gets the stun effect without a chance of being deflected
Could take maybe 20 stamina to reflect and unreliably reflect the projectile in different directions rather than back at the shooter, maybe 50%.

The Clock and Signifier will get much more effective against a csaber due to their fire rate with a stamina cost, unless you start checking the projectile.
Keep it the same and just make flashbangs more effective against csaber weilders
I usually make it a priority as security to carry flashbangs with me, at least 2 in the secbelt. There are a few instances where i've been able to use them in order to flashbang a wrestler or C-Saber user, but in the end its not the best. I know for a fact i've seen Stern with shades and ear protection before while rampaging, so flashbangs are mostly pretty lights for security to screw themselves over with. (Sec needs flashbang ear-prot on their radios honestly, but thats a different thread)

As it is, I think the C-Saber is pretty balanced while in hand, and the reflect ability makes it very unique. It takes a good bit of stamina each swing, and thus can easily be knocked out of your hands. The bigger issue with it is when its surgically attached as a weapon, and thus even with no stamina, you can't shove it out of someones hands. Sure, they get blitzed in the face, but i've only seen that go bad for the saber wielder once.

My opinion is the same sort of effect that Katana - Captains Saber and Katana - Katana, or C-Saber - D-Saber and C-Saber - C-Saber. Give Security something that can "Duel" with the C-Saber. This way that security officer who is forced into the melee to fight the saber wielder doesn't get boned immediately when they miss the baton smack. Or they go in and baton and go "Oh right fuck, its a scientist, how silly of me, Stimulants, i'm dead now." The barrier is honestly the best item to target with this, since its a defensive item in nature.
IIRC someone (kyle maybe?) wants to completely rework the whole parrying system to be something that's more general instead of the specific c-saber parries c-saber and katana parries katana thing.  Being able to actually engage a c-saber user at melee range would go a long way towards making the deflection ability less obnoxious.

Although if it needs to be balanced in the meantime perhaps making it so there's a chance that deflecting a projectile causes the user to drop the block might help.  If you're skilled you'll still be able to deflect just about everything but if not...

Making it so it deflects instead of reflects might also help.

edit: also, is it just me or has the chance that someone will hit themselves with an item arm when disarmed been drastically lowered recently? I seem to have loads of trouble getting c-saber arm nerds to hit themselves now when I used to get it every shove.