Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space: Fullbright lighting, floor tiles look like plating
Building new parts of the station in space will result in finished floor tiles looking like plating (even if you apply the floor tile twice as it should be). This makes building new rooms considerably less fun.

Building new parts of the station in space will result in the full-bright space lighting being applied to the room, even if it is fully closed and sealed off with walls and should technically be pitch dark. This renders light fixtures, light wiring etc. useless and makes building new rooms considerably less fun.
ividyon Wrote:Building new parts of the station in space will result in finished floor tiles looking like plating (even if you apply the floor tile twice as it should be). This makes building new rooms considerably less fun.

There are ways to circumvent this already, such as the ABCU.

ividyon Wrote:Building new parts of the station in space will result in the full-bright space lighting being applied to the room, even if it is fully closed and sealed off with walls and should technically be pitch dark. This renders light fixtures, light wiring etc. useless and makes building new rooms considerably less fun.

You don't even need light wiring??? New places are in the space area, and the space area is "unpowered" and "unlit". That means anything you build there will work as it has infinite power, and it doesn't need to be lit up since it doesn't care about lighting.
Marquesas Wrote:You don't even need light wiring??? New places are in the space area, and the space area is "unpowered" and "unlit". That means anything you build there will work as it has infinite power, and it doesn't need to be lit up since it doesn't care about lighting.

Well, that's the problem. It's *too easy* that way. When I dreamed about building my own room, I was looking forward to wiring up the place so that it qualifies as a 'real' station room, with functioning computers and lights that would light up the otherwise dark, metal cube. But the way it is, that part of the challenge is just gone, and that makes it less fun.
It also means that no matter how much you slave over your brand new space-disco, the multicolored light tubes you install won't ever work.
ividyon Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:You don't even need light wiring??? New places are in the space area, and the space area is "unpowered" and "unlit". That means anything you build there will work as it has infinite power, and it doesn't need to be lit up since it doesn't care about lighting.

Well, that's the problem. It's *too easy* that way. When I dreamed about building my own room, I was looking forward to wiring up the place so that it qualifies as a 'real' station room, with functioning computers and lights that would light up the otherwise dark, metal cube. But the way it is, that part of the challenge is just gone, and that makes it less fun.

I'm not even sure how could this be done. I'll look into it at some point cause now I'm interested. (It'd probably have to be dynamically creating areas)
Yep, it'd be dynamically creating areas.

This is theoretically possible but right now the bugs you're reporting are just how the game works.
Didn't we have space give off light at one point, but it was removed for some reason?
MyBlueCorners Wrote:Didn't we have space give off light at one point, but it was removed for some reason?

I really wouldn't mind seeing that come back. I forget the exact reason that it was removed, but I assume it was lag related.
I remember when we did the halloween Donut map marathon that space was actually dark and you needed mesons or eighty flashlights to see where you were going. Was space originally like that, or was it just a spoOoOoOoky change of atmosphere?
On second thought, fuck wiring lighting, as that takes way too long; it already takes the better half of a round to build a tiny room WITHOUT wiring. However, making the floor look like regular station floor rather than plating by default would be really nice!
Marquesas Wrote:
ividyon Wrote:Building new parts of the station in space will result in finished floor tiles looking like plating (even if you apply the floor tile twice as it should be). This makes building new rooms considerably less fun.

It used to work without the ABCU though, which makes the fact that it doesn't anymore pretty strange.
jflan17 Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:

It used to work without the ABCU though, which makes the fact that it doesn't anymore pretty strange.

You're completely misinterpreting this. It does work with the ABCU.
I think you misunderstood me. I meant that you could make both normal floor tiles and reinforced floor tiles, and the sprite would represent that fact, without the ABCU before and you should be able to do so now. It is strange that the sprites do not change and it is pretty clearly a bug.
jflan17 Wrote:I think you misunderstood me. I meant that you could make both normal floor tiles and reinforced floor tiles, and the sprite would represent that fact, without the ABCU before and you should be able to do so now. It is strange that the sprites do not change and it is pretty clearly a bug.

Oh, hey, yes. I did. Sorry. Whatever. Look, I've been playing for a damn long time and ever since I actually remember, you could only do plating and reinforced floors by hand in space.
Why would you want to build your own large station room? It'll take so long that you probably won't even finish it before round end :V